Forwagy
Level 1: Cadet

NBN commotion requirements for HFC

I am about to arrange NBN connection to my home which has hybrid fibre coaxial connection with an external NBN box fitted to our property.

My home computer and wifi is connected to both a NETCOMM ADSL2+ WIFI N300 Gateway modem and a NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK X6 router.

Will I need a new Telstra wifi modem installed in my home for the NBN?

My cordless home phone is a Uniden N32 WDECT2355+2. Will this work with the NBN?

Thanks Gail 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN commotion requirements for HFC

You will need a Telstra modem for the Telstra phone service. For the initial setup and activation to work the Telstra modem must be connected directly to NBN NTD but after activation NIGHTHAWK X6 router can be connected directly to NBN NTD and Telstra modem connected to a LAN port of NIGHTHAWK X6 router.

Activation.

Coax Socket----------NBN NTD-----------(WAN) Telstra modem---Phone.

Final setup

Coax Socket----------NBN NTD-----------(WAN) NIGHTHAWK X6 (LAN)--------(WAN) Telstra modem---Phone

Or if not worried about double NAT

Coax Socket----------NBN NTD-----------(WAN)Telstra modem (LAN)-------(WAN) NIGHTHAWK X6

I                                                                                  

Phone

Forwagy

Hello Supreme Being,

Many thanks for your quick response.

The Telstra shop referred to a HFC diagram which showed I wouldn't need a new modem. So I will tell them that this is required.

Can you tell me what you mean by NBN 'NTD' and 'double NAT' please?

Our outside NBN box is downstairs and our modem connection is upstairs.

Will the Telstra modem plug in where our current modem is?

Thanks for your patience. Gail

cf4

NBN NTD is the NBN modem that connects to the HFC coaxial cable socket.

Double NAT occurs when you have a router sitting behind another router. The second router doesn't have a public IP address and certain apps or devices might not work correctly. If you have not Bridged the NETCOMM ADSL2+ WIFI N300 Gateway modem or set the NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK X6 router as an access point with DHCP disabled then your current setup has double NAT. If its not causing any issues on current set up and you haven't Bridged the NETCOMM ADSL2+ WIFI N300 Gateway modem or set the NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK X6 router as an access point with DHCP disabled then double NAT should not cause any problems.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Hello 

Quite separate from the very excellent information you have already been provided with.... another advantage of the Telstra modem is that it has inbuilt 4G mobile backup should your NBN service ever fail. 

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Forwagy1

Hi Supreme Being,

A final thank you for your help, I now have the NBN setup and working fine with just the Telstra Modem, for both upstairs and downstairs, and now run with:

Coax Socket----------NBN NTD-----------(WAN) Telstra modem---Phone.

Many thanks, Gail

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more