cdchi1975
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN HFC Connection installation

Answered

Telstra app msging just taking way to long to respond to my queries so going to ask here (i miss live chat).

Telstra Cable is being switched off next month, so I've ordered a NEW NBN HFC connection plan with Telstra. Took me 10 days to finally get them to send me an email confirmation that the order is being processed but I finally got it (after a second attempt on the telstra app msging service to get them to do it). Only to find it is a 'self install' option. OK fine if its easy and clearcut but...

1. I do not seem to have a nbn utility box outside my premises (nbnco site states this is required for HFC) - does telstra organise for an nbnco technician to come out and do that? there is nothing about such an appointment in the order tracking page. A search site saids that my location DOES have  a 'wall plate/socket' but if I do I have no idea where it is.

2. Apparently the modem connects to a NBN connection box but that box has to be connected to a 'cable wall outlet'. What is this? Was this supposed to be attached to the nbn utility box outside which as above I do not have as far as I can see?

3. I do have the old Telstra cable wall outlet, but if this is the outlet its in a TERRIBLE position for phone connection

The Telstra email is so basic that I think I am missing something obvious...maybe they do send a technician for the utility box, but I see nothing in the communication that states they will.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN HFC Connection installation

One would hope that Telstra/NBN have done their homework before sending you the NBN NTD and the Smart Modem 2. If you needed any thing additional to what is already there, Telstra/NBN would have to organise that. But my guess is that as it is already working service over HFC (Telstra Cable) you have what is required.

1. You probably don't need an NBN Utility box.. the Telstra HFC outlet will suffice

2.  Three parts..

a.  Yes you can get cordless DECT handsets that will pair and operate from the DECT base in the Telstra Smart Modem 2 - Telstra have several that are Smart Modem 2 compatible.

b. a short Coaxial cable from the Telstra HFC outlet to the Foxtel outlet can be used. But, I would suggest setting up the NBN NTD and Smart Modem 2 at the Telstra HFC outlet to start with - when that is working THEN try extending the HFC service through the Foxtel cable to the other location.

c. A good quality USB Wi-Fi adapter for your PC is one option..  or you could invoke the 'Telstra Wi-Fi Booster'  offer and get one of those devices as a Wi-Fi extender, running off the Smart Modem 2, to get better Wi-Fi (and an ethernet connection for the PC) in the office area. The booster is managed over Wi-Fi from the Smart Modem 2.

There are always options, just depends what you are prepared to spend..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Even though you have opted for self install a NBN co Technician could install the NBN  connection box and check the cabling at the same time. They will bring NTD with them. Check with Telstra if a NBN co Technician will visit on day off connection.

In some premises NBN co use the existing Telstra cabling and don't install any extra equipment. The only changes are in the street infrastructure.

Will not be able to use the old foxtel cable outlet without having your own cabler connect it to the NBN feed in cable.

You can not have two NBN NTDs connected to the the same NBN service so even if both outlets could be used you could on use one outlet.

Telstra has DECT handsets that can be paired wirelessly to the DECT base in the modem. There is also a Telstra voice extender that connects wirelessly to modem and has a rj11 port for connecting s normal phone.

https://www.telstra.com.au/home-phone/handsets

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
cf4

Are you sure you are getting NBN HFC. Some Telstra cable areas are being converted to FTTC or FTTN .which the existing phone wiring and sockets. You can check what type of NBN you will have at this site.

Check your address | nbn (nbnco.com.au)

cdchi1975

Thanks, yes it's definitely 100% HFC.

SteveW_52

The self install is quite easy..  swap the modem with the new Smart Modem 2 and power it up..  even without the NBN service it will start up and switch to 4G backup mode (blue light) so you have internet (anything connected on cable will work, but you might have some minor issues with Wi-Fi connections, which are easily fixed.. just pop back in here with those issues when you find them)..  

Connect the HFC coax to the NBN NTD and power that up as well - it will take a little while but should setup fine if NBN have prepared it properly.

Once that NTD is working , connect the ethernet port on the NTD to the Smart Modem WAN (red) port and the modem should indicate it has internet and will switch from 4g to NBN connection (green indication)..  it should go pretty easily - they have had a bit of practice now Smiley Happy 

If you are also getting a home phone, that will come through the NBN but also work on 4G, good to get that connected up and tested early on. There are sometimes issues with the telephone service provisioning but it is better you address those directly if they happen..

It's a good idea to run some Speedtests straight away (4G and NBN connections) to check you are getting the service you paid for and also make sure everything is working as it should.. you'll also knoe what you can expect under normal conditions and in 4G mode..

You'll find help here with an difficulties you might run into. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
cdchi1975

Thanks

Sorry but I'm confused.The Telstra self install page states:

Screw the WHITE coaxial cable with GREY ends into the back of the nbn Connection Box.Screw the other end of the WHITE coaxial cable into the cable wall outlet. 

When you say swap the modem with the Smart Modem 2, my current modem is connected to the cable internet outlet. So what does the connection box get connected to?

cf4

You want be able to use Smart modem untill transfered to NBN. On the day of the transfer to NBN connect all your devices to the Smart modem. The smart modem will work on its 4G backup while waiting for the NBN to connect.. Front light will be blue, WAN/ DSL light will be off, phone light will be orange..

Turn off and disconnect old modem. Connect the NBN connection box to the coax wall plate and once the NBN box is working properly (Power, Downstream, Upstrean and Online all on) connect the Telstra smart modem WAN port (red port)to the ethernet port on the NBN connection box. The UNI-D1 light on the NBN connection box should turn green and lWAN/ DSL, phone and Front light on the modem should turn green. 

SteveW_52

The new Smart Modem 2 (SM2) doesn't need a connection immediately, it will run on 4G Backup mode, until you get the coaxial cable connected to the NBN NTD and it is powered up and online. 

Then you connect the NTD ethernet output to the SM2 red WAN port - if NBN is active, the SM2 will switch from 4G backup (blue) to NBN Internet (green).

Stevo 52
cdchi1975

OK cool thanks, so when NBN ready to go, connect connection box (which I assume Telstra  provides) to my old cable internet outlet and connect modem to the connection box.

So to my other queries...

1. I do not have any external NBN utility box (at least I Can't see one), is that because the old Telstra cable outlet is auto NBN ready anyway so no utility box was needed outside?

2. And the position of the outlet is in a terrible place for phone...its basically an isolated area that I use as an office very infrequently. Is it just a matter of getting a phone that can connect wirelessly to it? I do have a very old Foxtel connection cable plate, but I have not had Foxtel operating for many years...would that cable outlet work for NBN even if no Foxtel available through it.

3. If the Foxtel cable plate is usable, but I also want my desktop PC (which is not WIFI capable) near my internet cable outlet (ie the isolated office area) to be able to use the NBN is that possible by getting another NBN connection box and modem?

Thanks again for assistance

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

One would hope that Telstra/NBN have done their homework before sending you the NBN NTD and the Smart Modem 2. If you needed any thing additional to what is already there, Telstra/NBN would have to organise that. But my guess is that as it is already working service over HFC (Telstra Cable) you have what is required.

1. You probably don't need an NBN Utility box.. the Telstra HFC outlet will suffice

2.  Three parts..

a.  Yes you can get cordless DECT handsets that will pair and operate from the DECT base in the Telstra Smart Modem 2 - Telstra have several that are Smart Modem 2 compatible.

b. a short Coaxial cable from the Telstra HFC outlet to the Foxtel outlet can be used. But, I would suggest setting up the NBN NTD and Smart Modem 2 at the Telstra HFC outlet to start with - when that is working THEN try extending the HFC service through the Foxtel cable to the other location.

c. A good quality USB Wi-Fi adapter for your PC is one option..  or you could invoke the 'Telstra Wi-Fi Booster'  offer and get one of those devices as a Wi-Fi extender, running off the Smart Modem 2, to get better Wi-Fi (and an ethernet connection for the PC) in the office area. The booster is managed over Wi-Fi from the Smart Modem 2.

There are always options, just depends what you are prepared to spend..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52

cf4
Accepted Solution

Even though you have opted for self install a NBN co Technician could install the NBN  connection box and check the cabling at the same time. They will bring NTD with them. Check with Telstra if a NBN co Technician will visit on day off connection.

In some premises NBN co use the existing Telstra cabling and don't install any extra equipment. The only changes are in the street infrastructure.

Will not be able to use the old foxtel cable outlet without having your own cabler connect it to the NBN feed in cable.

You can not have two NBN NTDs connected to the the same NBN service so even if both outlets could be used you could on use one outlet.

Telstra has DECT handsets that can be paired wirelessly to the DECT base in the modem. There is also a Telstra voice extender that connects wirelessly to modem and has a rj11 port for connecting s normal phone.

https://www.telstra.com.au/home-phone/handsets

cdchi1975

Thanks again for all the help. The actual expenditure to get it right is not an obstacle to be honest. What is an obstacle is getting through to someone at Telstra to actually help me, even if its just the option to send someone at a cos . The Telstra app msging service was pretty much useless, short few word response with long time gaps in between. One response was farcically wrong (you can just connect to old phone line, huh???). Having been a Telstra customer for all services for pretty much my entire life, and given the premium we are paying for the 'privilege' you would think their support would be better, covid or no covid.

So I really appreciate all your help guys. I think I have enough info now to at least have a crack at it when the equipment arrives, at least to get the minimum set up thru the telstra cable outlet. Can worry about the placing and the landline phone at a later date if can't resolve that on my own. I assume there are independent people that come around and get it all done.

cdchi1975

Hi guys

Just a update to say again thanks for all the help and that I had no issues with the self- installation at the cable outlet and all working fine. @SteveW_52 @cf4 

Bonus: The wifi on this modem seems to have even more range than the old cable modem...no dropouts at the extremes like the old one.

Cheers

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more