asebastianxx
Level 2: Rookie

NBN HFC modem swap

Answered

Hi everybody,

I've got an older Telstra Gateway Connection Kit modem (Sagemcom F@AST 5355) which I want to get rid off, and try to get the newer Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with 4G backup. I've been having quite frequent NBN outages for extended times over here, so having the backup of 4G data would help.

Anyone got an idea how I can do this? Does Telstra have a swap plan, or should I request to purchase this new modem?

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
asebastianxx
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN HFC modem swap

As I received a new modem free from Telstra, I will close this. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra has sent out emails to selected customers offering them free upgrades to the Smart Gen 2 modem. Next time you speak to support you could request a free upgrade to Smart Gen 2 modem due to the frequent dropouts. Another option is to buy a second hand Smart modem. I have see Gen 1 Smart modems for as little as $5 and Gen 2 for as little as $30 at cash convertors. You also get a free upgrade to the Gen 2 Smart modem if you purchase a Gen 2 WiFi booster.

The Smart modem is not a cure for intermittent dropouts as it does take 4 minutes to detect and switch to 4G backup also speed is limited to about 20 Mbps. It is much better to have your NBN link fixed.

asebastianxx

Thanks will contact Telstra support thru their chat app and see if I can score an upgraded modem.

asebastianxx
Accepted Solution

As I received a new modem free from Telstra, I will close this. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more