Level 1: Cadet

NBN HFC Ubiquiti Unifi Telstra Smart Modem Phone Connection

Hello brainstrust,

Thank you in advance for your help. Telephone connection is the critical bit.

In short I have the following:

NBN HFC connection

NBN NTD Arris CM8200B P2

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with voice backup DJA0231

Uniden Dect telephone plugged into the Phone port of the the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

This setup is working fine however wifi from Smart Modem is @?!X and I need more wired connections around the house, plus more APs and cameras.

I want to install a Ubiquiti Unifi network with the following:

Dream Machine Pro - UDM-Pro

Unifi Switch 24 POE - USW-24-POE

Unifi NanoHD AP - UAP-nanoHD-US x 2

G3 cameras

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE FOR MY ELDERLY PARENTS - 2 wired telephone points and most of my question revolves around this last want/need.

I have previously installed a Unifi network, not using the NBN but a 4G LTE modem which works great, admittedly download speeds over 4G are limited...

Can I run the following "ideal" setup order?

NBN HFC ----> NBN NTD Arris CM8200B P2 ----> Dream Machine Pro ----> Unifi Switch 24 POE ----> Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with voice backup DJA0231 ----> Uniden Dect Telephones

or will the phones stop working?

Will i need to run the Telstra Smart Modem ahead of the Dream Machine Pro like this?

NBN HFC ----> NBN NTD Arris CM8200B P2 ----> Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with voice backup DJA0231 ----> Uniden Dect Telephones

Dream Machine Pro ----> Unifi Switch 24 POE ----> NanoHD APs and G3 Cameras

If it is possible to run the "ideal" setup scenario, how do I configure the Unifi network to allow the Phone connection on the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 to work?

Many thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more