grahamh
Level 2: Rookie

NBN issues with Zoom

Hi,

hoping someone can shed light on the problem I am having.

I have NBN over cable with the ultra fast option from Telstra. Typical download speeds in excess of 700mbps and uploads ~45mbps - ping times ~10ms.

I have very poor zoom performance - jittery video and audio when I am presenting. Tried multiple PCs same result. I know the issue is related to NBN - I connect directly into the NBN box and see the same issue - so it isn’t related to my local network here. If I connect with 4G no issues - so the problem is somewhere between the nbn connection box and the external network.

Has anyone seen similar issues? And what resolved it? Could it be the connection point on the street needing to be looked at and cleaned up? I know when we had Foxtel deals a few years ago they cleaned up the connection on the pole and the problems went away.

Thanks for any help.

graham 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN issues with Zoom

What type of NBN connection are you on? HFC or FTTP?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
grahamh

HFC

Jupiter

Try joining a test meeting and them going to the connection statistics as per Meeting and phone statistics – Zoom Support

If you can post a screenshot of what the results are, it might help in trying to work out what the problem is.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
grahamh

Thanks - Teams works perfectly. This with zoom running 

Jupiter

Yes, that's not a particularly good connection in the up direction.

I was getting a good connection on my PC and mobile, with no problems at all.

Try running PingPlotter on your machine connecting to the server that Zoom is trying to use and see what information it gives you. On my PC it looks like this:

grahamh

Ok will do that - how do I know what system zoom is trying to connect to?

Jupiter

Open a meeting in Zoom.

The open the Resource Monitor on your PC and go to the Network Tab.

Click on Zoom and it should show 2 lines, your computer's IP address and the Zoom server IP address.

If you expand the TCP Connections section, It will show you the other Zoom servers that you are connected to as well.

grahamh

Jupiter

Interesting. There is nothing there that would indicate that you should be having any sort of problem.

You may need to click on the report a problem link within zoom during a session when the problem is occurring. Make sure you tick the option to include the logs so that they have a snapshot of what is happening at the time.

grahamh

Thanks for all the help. I just had a call and looked at the open tcp connections on zoom and plotted them - does this give any insight?

Jupiter

There's still nothing out of the ordinary with those plots.

Your Zoom connection is showing large packet losses, and the plots (other than the last link - which is normal as the servers don't respond to pings) aren't showing any packet loss.

You are going to need to report the problem to Zoom, as it looks like the problem may be at their end.

grahamh

Thanks - have call open with zoom now.

The one thing that is unexplainable is why zoom works perfectly on my 4G hotspot, and on another site with NBN (not Telstra), but has the issues from here at home even when directly connected into the NBN box. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more