AlexCh
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN Modem failover

NBN has been successfully installed. The mobile failover on the Telstra Smart Modem v2 does not work. No lights; no activity.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: NBN Modem failover

No lights on the front (Green for broadband and blue for 4G) and none showing on the back?

No lights at all, I would be checking power!

On the bottom, there is a label indicating the model LH1000 or DJA xxxxxx, which do you have?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
AlexCh

SteveW_52

Thanks for your reply. I was not clear enough. The lights showing that NBN is active are all okay. There is no mobile signal light and when I remove the FTTC connection nothing happens. The mobile function does not start and neither of its lights shows.The model is a LH1000.

Thanks,

Alex.

SteveW_52

A few more details always helps.  :-)

On my LH1000 when I remove the NBN connection from the modem it takes 3 or 4 minutes for the changeover to 4G to occur..  have you waited that long?

Also, while you are on the NBN, does the Mobile Signal light show anything?

if you  haven't already seen it, there is an unofficial guide to the LH100 here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BVq7jGm44RtQIbfGwSVvyj98i27qj1s9/view?usp=sharing

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
AlexCh

SteveW_52

Thanks.

I waited a good hour and nothing happened. When on NBN there are no mobile lights shown. I have reseated the SIM but made no difference.

SteveW_52

And a full power cycle does nothing?

Dud modem by the sound of it..  use the ref numbers for the service when you contact Telsra. the My Telstra app on your phone is probably the best way - go to Help | Chat and select fault etc. to get past Codi.If you leave a message, don't close the chat - leave it open so you will get notification when Telstra contact. Not so easy to get help from Telstra in these Covid times..  people here in CrowdSupport are mostly customers just like you..  doing their best to help others and ease the pain of life with Telstra...

Stevo 52
AlexCh

Thanks, SteveW_52. I suspect it is a dud modem. Thanks for your advice on how to get Telstra support. Will give it a go!

Stimpy

Is the SIM card clicked in? Try removing and reinserting the SIM. To remove press in until you hear a click, it will then spring out a little letting you remove the SIM. To insert press into slot until you hear a click and it will not spring out again.

Do no put your fingers on the SIM contacts at any time.

SteveW_52

The OP indicated they had done that.

Always best to do the SIM removal and insertion with the power off by the way...

Stevo 52
AlexCh

Thanks to all of you for your help. I am now trying to get Telstra interested!

SteveW_52

I should have asked up front, did you do a self install of the modem, or did a tech (NBN or Telstra) connect it all up?

Stevo 52
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - good safety tip from SteveW_52 regarding power OFF before SIM withdrawal.

In case this helps with your dealings with Telstra, another check which may also confirm if there is a problem with the modem or the SIM is to log into the modem - if NBN service working, the Mobile LED should be OFF and a Mobile Signal strength LED should be ON with one of these colours - red, amber , green colour shows strength of the signal. Then go to the Advanced Icon, Broadband, LTE - it should show you the status of your SIM - whether it is 'Ready' and 'Valid'. 

If all showing OK, then one can assume its a software issue with the modem -  the WAN supervision and switching over from primary WAN to secondary WAN function that is not working properly. Internet/Internet Access/WAN Configuration - mine is on BFD.

Is the LH:1000 firmware at current Ver 0.12.09r?

JayVee1
Support Team
Support Team

Hey AlexCh,

Best to have a chat with our Faults Team so that they can check into the issue with your modem. The fastest way to reach them is via the Messaging Service in the MyTelstra app which you can download here https://tel.st/3khcz . All you need to do is go to the 'Get Help' tab and then select either 'Message Us' or the blue speech bubble in the bottom right corner. Our AI, Codi, will ask what your query is about, it's best to use a simple phrase such as "NBN Faults" to ensure you're put through to an agent who can assist as quickly as possible.

Let us know how you go, we'd like to hear that your mobile backup is working as it should.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

AlexCh

Thanks JayVee1,

I prefer to use my PC to message Telstra. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Alex.

SteveW_52

When you are in My Account, click on Help in the menu bar, then 24 x 7 chat..  you get the same Codi idiotbot response, just like in the My Telstra app..  be patient.

Note that some browsers don't play nicely with the 24x7 chat..  Chrome is OK though.

Stevo 52
AlexCh

Thanks to all who responded:

I had a good conversation with Telstra Support yesterday. They  had me carry out some tests on the modem and then concluded it was faulty. A replacement is on its way.

A good result all round!

Thanks,

Alex.

AlexCh

A further update on my modem fault:

The new modem was delivered within two days and the mobile failover worked when tested. I am very happy with how things have transpired.

Thanks to you all.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more