Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN modem phone line noise

My NBN smart modem turned up a couple of days ago and once connected as per instruction FTTN my land line phone has a low frequency hum present which is most annoying. I tried going back to the ADSL connection and the noise goes away. I have tried different phones connected to the modem but no different and I have tried turning off all things electrical near by including the connected PC/printers etc but nothing helps. We haven't been connected to the NBN as yet but have a notification it will be done on the 21st Sep. Will this noise go once connected the NBN or could there be a fault in the new modem. I tried ringing to speak to a person but keep getting the same recorded voice telling me give a mobile number to receive an SMS but my mobile doesn't get signal here.  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: NBN modem phone line noise

This isn't good to read, @Disappointed-59. The best thing to do would be to speak with tech support, it's best to reach out online. Right now, the quickest way to speak to a person at Telstra regarding this (aside from me) is through the My Telstra App. Once in the chat, the virtual assistant will ask you a few questions before asking a team member to contact you. More info about how that works here https://tel.st/68ctn

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Speaking to tech support? You are joking aren't you, every time and I've tried lots I get a message that they can't take my call and I should try online which tells me to get the App but that doesn't work on my PC and sometimes I get through to the virtual assistant which after answering a few questions that have no bearing on my problem I feel like taking to my computer with a hammer as at no time has it ever passed me onto a real person so in desperation I take to CrowdSupport which hasn't been much help as yet. The only help I've had so far is to get in my car and drive to my local Telstra shop but even that hasn't helped much.

Getting to my problem with the noise on the phone line, I have fixed it myself by replacing about 10 meters of my incoming copper phone wire with Cat5 network cable and believe it's the twisted pair that has helped with stopping/reducing the AC interference into the Modem. The NBN changeover is due today so I'm crossing my fingers that we don't end up with more problems as it seems almost impossible to get in touch with a tech.  

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

If you are still on ADSL the hum could be from the power that comes threw the line for normal phone service (around 45v) , the line splitter getting rid of the hum sugests to me that this is the reason !

If you are getting a full migration (this disconects the exchange were the power come's from) it will hope fully remove the last of the hum.

FTTN Tech. Appinions are my own.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more