JCLW
Level 1: Cadet

NBN recently connected - Wifi connection not visible on some devices

I recently had the NBN connected (2 days ago) and have had nothing but issues. On some devices the internet is working, however on 3 devices the wifi connection is not visible and therefore I have no access to the internet on these devices. I can see the neighbours wifi on these devices, but cannot see my own wifi connection. Today I was on the phone and on the online chat to Telstra for 11 hours and still no one was able to assist me. As advised by multiple Telstra staff, I have reset the modem, turned off the modem, turned off the devices, connected the device to the modem (which the internet was working on the device when the cable was connected), connected the device to NBN and tested my internet speed. Has anyone experienced the same issue? Can anyone please advise on how to fix the issue? 

Thank you.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN recently connected - Wifi connection not visible on some devices

You could have a modem with faulty 2.4 GHz WiFi. The devices that can connect are probably dual band and connect to the 5GHz WiFi. The three devices that can connect probably only support 2.4 GHz WiFi.

To check if the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty suggest you disable band steering in modem. Disabling band steering adds -5G to the name of the modem's 5GHz WiFi. If both WiFi bands are working you should now see two WiFi names transmitted by the modem on the devices that can connect. If you only see the WiFi name with -5G added then the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

To disable band steering open a web browser on a device connected to modem and go to http://1.168.0.1, password is Telstra. Go to WiFi, in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings remove tick next to Band steering and save settings

JCLW
Level 1: Cadet

Hi cf4,

Thank you for your response. I disabled the band steering option on a device connected to the modem. I could only see the one wifi name which was 5G wifi connection option and not a 2.4GHz option. So it appears my modem is faulty?

From your experience would you know how I went about advising Telstra of the issue and would they be able to send a new modem out?  I have had not had a good experience with the phone and online customer service assistance in the past few days. Do you think it would be easier going in store?

cf4

I don't think it will be easier going to store. You will have persist with the app and phone support. Now that you know the modem is faulty and have proof of the fault you should be more successful..If you presist Telstra will eventually send out a replacement modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more