Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN Router keeps turning off

Hey there, My NBN modem keeps turning off or resetting throughout the day. When it happens it resets and the connection takes about 2-5 minutes to get a connection again and about 1 minute later it will drop out again for about 30-60 seconds and then will come good again. It does this cycle about 1-4 times a day but it seems like its started to get worst. I have tried requesting a NBN tech to come look at it but both times i have booked one i have received a message saying the tech is no longer needed because the problem is fixed, which it isn't.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN Router keeps turning off

Does the power light go off on the NBN NTD or does the connection just drop out?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Its hard to tell because it happens so random, once I get to the room to check it all lights on the back are off and the light at the front is white. I did a connection test last night and it come back with Modem Fail.

Highlighted

Which model NTD is it, and what type of NBN connection is it (FTTN, FTTC, FTTP, HFC, FW)?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Im not 100% sure but the modem connects to a wall unit that is hooked up to a battery thats also on the wall

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

From your description it appears it is the Telstra Smart modem that is rebooting. Could you log into the modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra) and check the Firmware version? Forward version is displayed on LHS of log in screen.

Highlighted

FTTP i believe

@BChar wrote:

Im not 100% sure but the modem connects to a wall unit that is hooked up to a battery thats also on the wall

Highlighted

18.1.c.0543-950-RA

@cf4 wrote:

From your description it appears it is the Telstra Smart modem that is rebooting. Could you log into the modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra) and check the Firmware version? Forward version is displayed on LHS of log in screen.

Highlighted

That modem recently had a firmware update that enhanced the WiFi security by adding protected management frames. Some devices that don't support PMF can cause modem to reboot. Suggest you try turning of PMF in the advanced WiFi settings. Setting is located near the bottom of the settings.

Highlighted

ill try that and see how i go

Highlighted

It is not a NBN issue as I have never seen a modem reboot due to NBN faults but there have been many reports of this modem rebooting due to incompatibility between the modem and devices connected to modem. If turning of PMF does fix the rebooting try disconnecting any IOS devices. Some IOS devices have been known to cause modem to reboot particularly the apple watch.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

if it is a smart modem 2, disconnect the connection form the NBN device and the modem (Ethernet cable?) and let the Smart Modem switch to 4G mode. Run it like that for a while and see if the reboots still occur..  if they still happen, then as cf4 says, it is probably something connected to the Wifi on the Smart Modem. Do you have anything plugged into the USB port on the modem?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more