JJ1971
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Smart Modem Gen 2 connection via a switch

I have my NBN connection installed in my garage and have a 12 port Ethernet switch routed to most of the rooms within my home via cat 6 cable. My current Gateway Modem is located in the garage between the NBN connection and the switch. I have received a new Smart Modem Gen 2 and would like to know if I can connect the NBN to the switch and then connect the smart modem inside the house via one of the fixed Ethernet wall connections. I will still need to have the NBN run through the other 11 LAN connections as I have devices that are not WIFI connected. Any suggestions?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN Smart Modem Gen 2 connection via a switch

You need a router (eg the Smart Modem) to be able to allocate IP addresses to all your devices, this needs sit between the NBN NTD and the Switch.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

No you can only connect one device to the NBN output as it only allocates one IPv4 address. You need a router or modem router between the NBN outlet and the switch. You could leave your current gateway between the switch and the NBN output and connect the new smart modem in the house to one of the outlets from the switch. You would not any special settings providing the old gateway is not the Telstra Gateway Frontier or the the original Telstra Smart modem. With this setup you will have two separate networks and although all devices connected to either the modem or gateway will have internet access, devices connected to the gateway will not be able to connect to devices connected to smart modem.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Do you have two cables between the switch location and where you want to put the Smart Modem? If so, you can use one cable to go from the NBN connection point to the Smart Modem DSL/WAN port and then another one from the Smart Modem Lan port back to the switch and then distribution from there..

If your internet is DSL you will need cables to go from the DSL port the RJ45 Cat 6 and vice versa..  not hard to do.

If your connection to the modem is RJ45 then you can just connect directly..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more