csp
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN Smart Modem

Sorry but this will be a long posting.

21 days ago I switched from myTelstra 8Mbs ADSL service to a FTTN 50Mbs Telstra NBN (with their 0F5B17 Smart modem) service but unfortunately in those 21 days I have only experienced about 50Mbs for about three days.

I have contacted Telstra Support about four times to complain and each time the operator has logged into my computer gone through various settings, made alterations, etc then done a Speed Test and magically the speed is again showing 50+Mbs.

I am then told that everything should now be OK --- and it is for about one day, then progressively over the next three to four days the speed drops to anything between about 6 - 13Mbs, at which time I have contacted Telstra again (and that means listening to music for over an hour !!!) and again go through the same process of the operator logging into my computer making changes, etc and then doing a speed test and again magically it is reading about 50+Mbs and I am again told that all should be OK --- BUT IT IS NOT.

Last Monday when it had dropped to about 7Mbs, I again phoned support and again went through all of the same processes, but this time the service chap stated that he could see that I had not cold re-booted the modem since it was first turned on and that I really should re-boot it at least once per week, by turning off the power point, waiting about a minute, remove all of the input connections to the modem and then re-power the modem and once fully re-booted plug in all the devices (two computers and phone) --- I have never had to boot any previous dial-up or ADSL modem unless there was a major problem but then possibly about four times in about 26 years

After the he asked me to go through the full re-boot process and to do a speed test it was again about 53Mbs and again I was told --- problem fixed !!!

Since Monday the speed has been progressively getting slower until this morning it read 3.6Mbs download and 9.7upload (isn't upload supposed to be slower than download ???), so I decided to try his full re-boot idea and amazingly after the re-boot the speed was 54.2Mbs --- three hours later it is 51.8Mbs. Looks like it is on its way down again !!!

Can it possibly be that to obtain the speed that I am paying for I need to power off and re-power the modem every day ?????????????????

Or is there something else radically wrong with the service/connection/modem that I have that is causing this problem and I am either not being told the truth or (and not meaning to be insulting) the phone service staff not being told the truth or not have any idea as to the problem ?

Surely all other Telstra NBN FTTN customers can not be experiencing this problem and if they are why is it not being fixed before more happy ADSL customers are forced on to a faulty NBN system, or a reasonable NBN system that is being fed into a faulty Telstra modem?

I have just done another speed test and it is now at 49.5Mbs. Will be interesting to see what it is at around midnight tonight !!!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

David.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
37 REPLIES 37
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN Smart Modem

You should not have reboot the modem frequently to maintain a reasonable speed. There is some thing wrong if speed keeps dropping. I have a FTTN connection and the speed only varies by a few mega bytes over several weeks without the modem being turned off and then back on.

When the speed slows again could you post your line status? Images below show examples of line status.

On the Arcadyan modem (LH1000) the line status is located in the Broadband settings. (Tx/ Rx Speed only)

On the Technicolor modem (DJA0231)  the line status is located at Advanced > Broadband.

DSL link 49 Mbps

csp

Cf4,

Thank you for the response and the suggestion, BUT being a complete computer novice, I have absolutely no idea what all of your information means or where/how to find it. My modem is the Technicolor unit.

David

cf4

To view the information open a web browser on a device connected to modem and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra. Go to Advanced and then to Broadband. The information similar to that in the second image should be displayed.

You can post the information by either highlighting the information by dragging over it with a mouse, then copying the inform the information by pressing control + C and the posting the information into a post (Control + V), or taking a screen shot using snipping tool, saving the image and then inserting image in a post using the Photos icon.

csp

Cf4,

I have just done a speed test that the reading is 11.8Mbs download and 5.5Mbs upload, with the download dropping from the 54.2Mbs download that it was at about this time yesterday to now reading 11.8Mbs for the download and 5.5Mbs for the upload.

I have done the line status that you suggested and have posted the results below:

DSL Status

Up
DSL Uptime
54 minutes 27 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
39.65 Mbps 102.92 Mbps
Line Rate
20.4 Mbps 60.1 Mbps
Data Transferred
124.75 MBytes 214.28 MBytes
Output Power
6.4 dBm 14.4 dBm
Line Attenuation
5.8, 25.1, 38.4 dB 13.1, 32.1, 49.0 dB
Noise Margin
18.1 dB 17.5 dB

I trust that this is the information that you requested, if not let me know.

Although I have no knowledge of internet talk, I am a bit surprised that the maximum line rate is only 39.65 as I would have thought that this would have to have been at least 50Mbs which is what I am paying for with the plan that I have.

I will be interested to hear what you have to say and if possible, what you think could be causing the problem.

David
cf4

Thanks for posting that information. The information indicates the NBN link is not causing the reduction in speed. It is either a fault with the modem or or something on the local network causing the reduction in speed. The 39.65 Mbps is the maximum upload line rate, the maximum download rate is 102.92 Mbps and your actual line rate is 60.1Mbps down and 20.4 Mbps up.

Are you doing a speed test via WiFi or Ethernet?

Were those readings taken just after modem was rebooted or while the measured speed was 11.8/5.5?

csp

Cf4

Very interesting.

The speed test was done just after the modem re-boot and I have just done another speed test, but to be sure that I am using ethernet and not wi-fi, I have turned off the computer's wi-fi adaptor and the results now read 19.6Mbs download and 17.6Mbs upload.

As there are only two computers connected to the modem and the other computer is giving much the same result and I have done speed tests with only this computer connected and then a test with only the other computer connected and in both cases the results are mush the same as it is with both computers connected.

In all cases the home phone was still connected. I can do a test with this disconnected.

Have just done the phone out speed test and the results are -- 16.4Mbs download and 18.1Mbs upload.

If not the modem can you give any idea what it could be in both computers that is causing the problem. My computer is running Windows 10 and the other Windows 8.1 with both computers being up to date with Windows updates. I have also done a test with the virus protector (ZoneAlarm) turned off and the results are the same.

cf4

If you turn WiFi off on the modem and just have the one computer connected to modem do you still have the same low speed?

When doing the speed test make sure you are connected to closest server. If you use the Speed test app by Ookla can select which server  to use.

csp

Cf4,

I have just done a speed test with my nearest server (Gold Coast) and with the wi-fi turned off on the modem the results are 16.4Mbs download and 18.2 Mbs upload and then another test with the wi-fi switched on and the results are 15.3Mbs download and 18.1 upload.

As both computers are located within 1mtr of the modem and both are giving similar results and the Windows 8.1 has very little software apart from Windows and Office, while the main computer (mine) has Windows 10 as the system, Office and quite a bit of software (but not running), I am rapidly beginning to think that if the line speed is correct/about where it should be, then the problem has to be something in the modem or the way Telstra/NBN have set it up.

Any thoughts !!! or should I simply disconnect the modem and take it into the nearest Telstra shop, or is this something that has to be arranged by the Telstra support team (another hour+ on the phone waiting).

David

cf4

The low speed might be due to Network congestion in the Telstra Network in your area or Telstra might not have purchased enough Connectivity Virtual Circuit (CVC) from NBN. If the speed varies over a period of time then the low speed would be due to congestion or lack of CVC. Does the speed vary during the day being slower during busy periods and faster during non busy periods?

csp

cf4,

The speed seems to drop over a period of time rather that at certain times of the day. I have done tests at about 5.00am, mid morning, during the afternoon and during the night time peak periods and at all times the speed is very slow apart from a few hours when the modem is re-booted, BUT this morning when I did the re-boot the speed did not go up to the 54Mbs range but rather came in at about 11Mbs, roughly where it was before I did the re-boot and each time I have done the test since the re-boot, it has been in a similar range.

Congestion, I would hope was not the case, as most properties in my area are on acerage (I have 8 acres), so the overall density of users should be much lower than in normal suburban areas.

My property from node to modem would be about 700mtrs.

Because of the distance between properties I have not spoken to other residents to see if they have signed to the NBN (should have as our analogue/ADSL service was due to be turned off on the 15th Jan) and who they have signed with, to see if they are getting the same speed problem. Actually I think most would only need it for the phone and possibly a bit of emailing and very few would know how to do the speed test (I only know because one of the service agents told me how and I bookmarked the URL).

David

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - when the speeds are low, is the LED on the front face of your modem Blue (on 4G BackUp) or Green (using FTTN).

cf4

I think you are closer than 700 Meters to the Node. Your line status indicate you are about 300 Meters from Node. It looks like the modem could be causing the low speed. Ruled out everything else. I don't think it could be any settings on your computers. If you have a Smart phone you could connect that to modem's WiFi and do a speed test on the smart phone just to double check.

If you haven't already tried it you could try factory resetting modem by pressing reset button located on back of modem near LAN port 2 for at least 10 seconds.

csp

csp

cf4,

The 700mtrs would be fairly accurate. From my actual house to the street is just under 300mtrs and from there the node would be a bit further away in distance than the 300mtrs is to the street, so the 700mtrs would be about correct.

A factory reset was undertaken last Monday when I had the last call to the customer service section and one was done during the first calI had to the service section about two/three weeks ago, but I could do another if you think this might help, BUT why would the modem require two factory resets in less than a week, unless there is something radically wrong with the modem !!!!! AND if this fixes the problem, will I need to do another full tre-boot and factory reset again in about a week ???

Just did a mobile phone speed test and the figures are interesting 43.1Mbs download and 16.2Mbs upload and doing a computer speed test immediately after it is reading 6.8Mbs download and 4.1 MBs upload and the other computer is reading 9.1Mbs download and 7.5Mbs upload.

I really give up and am seriously considering closing the Telstra account and going with another company that is locally owned and is held in very high regard --- even two of the local universitiy campuses and a couple of private schools use them, as do a lot of businesses ---so they can't be too bad and their call centre is also local which is a plus in my opinion.

Actually my whole experience with theTelstra/NBN has been  shambles. I signed the contract on Fri 10/12 with install set for Thurs 16/12. I then get a call from the shop on 13/12 to say that something went wrong with the uploading of my order and all spaces for the 16/12 have gone but the order has now been uploaded correctly and  booking can be made for Tues 21/12 and in both cases I was told that I had to stay home between 7.00am and 2.00pm so that the NBN technician could gain access if needed. Then on Mon 20/12 I get a call from India (female was almost impossible to understand) stating that there was a major problem with the NBN cable in the street, or the terminations at the node or something (very hard to understand) and that the install set down for 21/12 would have to cancelled until some unknown time in the futrure while the problem was sorted out and fixed, Then on about the 29/12 I received a call from the same female stating that the NBN would be connected on Mon 4/01 and again for me to stay in between 7.00am and 2.00pm and that once the nbn was connected I would receive a phone call advising me of its connection. By 2.00pm I had heard nothing and this continued until about 6.30pm by which time I was furious.(I also forgot to mention that our home phone and ADSL service went dead at about midday on Fri 17/12 with only our mobile phones working) At 6.30pm on thtr Monday night I called the Telstra customer service centre and blew my stack only to be told that the NBN service had been connected earlier in the day (why was I not contacted as informed I would be). The service agent ran me through the Telstra modem set up and the phone connection, etc, but a speed test was not done, this only happened after another call I had to the call centre a few days later because it was obvious that the internet was very slow.

You can see why I am seriously considering cancelling the Telstra NBN contract. Maybe I should have listened to a number of people who said that I was crazy if I thought of using Telstra for the NBN service !!!!!

David

cf4

Your ADSL should never have been turned off before NBN had been installed and you should have been able to use 4G backup while waiting for NBN. 

You could try following the steps in the link below to improve the speed of the Ethernet connection.

Optimizing Ethernet Adapter Settings for Maximum Performance – FlexRadio

Some PC manufacturers install network install network managers which should speed up internet connections but actually reduce speed if set up incorrectly. If there are any preinstalled manufacturers network managers  on the PC try uninstalling the software.

csp

cf4,

I thank you for all the time you have spent today trying to solve my problem.

I have just read through all that is contained in your last posting and because of my little technical knowledge of computers and being afraid that by doing the various things that are contained in the information (eg make a safe restore point, etc) I will lose data, programmes or worse kill the computer to the point where I will have re-install Windows and therefore lose everything, I think that I am just going to have to live with the fact that my ADSL service that was working perfectly has gone and I have been forced to go with an NBN service that I did not want in the first place and which is in my opinion crap and just live with a computer that is now virtually useless for anything associated with the internet and continue enjoying an average speed of 6.8Mbs while paying for a 50Mbs speed.

Maybe I can read the odd email, provided it doesn't contain any photos or videos, but definitely not be able to stream in anything such as a YouTube video --- thankfully we are not paying for a Netflix or similar service !!!!

Again I thank you for all of your assistance today.

David

Mkrtich

Hi - curious, are you able to recall what changes were made to your computer by the Telstra Call Centre Agent - did they modity your PC settings or the modem settings or tell you they modified your account settings in their network.

1. what is the model number of your previous ADSL/ADSL2 modem in case it can support NBN VDSL2 for a stability test.

2. is there any other telephone equipment connected in parallel to the socket used for the NBN FTTN connection.

3. your patience levels with Telstra may have expired - the only way for this to be resolved is to have Telstra to arrange to send an NBN technician to site so that the technician can inspect and test the cabling connections from your home to the FTTN Node and then have Telstra replace the modem to rule it out. You may or may not have an improved customer service experience with another RSP, as they may re-use the same physical link to the FTTN Node.

4. Do your PC's use any VPN software and are you subscribing to the paid Telstra Anti Virus and Malware Broadband Protect service.

csp

Mkrtich,

Firstly thank you for your interest and input. I will try to answer your questions as you have numbered them.

Not being overly computer service/tech smart, I can't recall exactly what each of the call centre people did but each one seemed to have a different reason for it being so slow (by the way, just tested and it is 7.1Mbs), the last one (late last night) said that it was obvious that the fault was not the modem but rather that the ethernet cables are faulty and to purchase new ones --- the chance of two faulty cables that came in the modem box, I would think would be almost zero !!!. I do know that along with other things the person last Monday apparently did something to remove all/any trace of the computer ever having been connected to the internet and all/any trace of any modem (including the new NBN modem) and then re-installed the new modem, after which a speed test was done and it was running at about 54Mbs, but within a couple of hours of speaking to him, the speed tests started its downward slide and now with a factory re-set and power cycle the modem is not getting back to the 50Mbs level but staying in the low teens or lower. This something new as in the past each time the modem wsas powered off and then re-booted it came back to the 50Mbs mark before starting to slide.

!. The previous modem is a Technicolor TG 587e  v3. I also have another modem that was given to me by Telstra a couple of years ago that has never been removed from its box. This unit is Technicolor TG797n  v3.

2. Yes. Our house has a phone socket in every room, and there are three physical Telstra supplied phones connected to those. A Telstra shop recommended technician has re-wired those phones (they do not use any of the same wires that are used for the NBN ). Where the modem's output connects to the wall socket there are now two phone sockets and the technician has used one socket for the NBN and its cable to the node and the other is for the phones going from this socket to the modem's phone input socket. In my various tests I have removed the phone line from the rear of the modem and also from the wall socket, but none of these actions have had any effect on the speed.

3. I was thinking about going to the local Telstra shop today (and waiting for an hour plus to be sent a text saying that I am next --- COVID restrictions) and asking for assistance, a new modem or something, But I had not thought about asking for an NBN technician to come to the house. Re the line  possibly being faulty, if doing the test as 'cf4" suggested and the line test gave the correct results (full report is in one of my replies above), would this not suggest that the phone cable from my place to the node was OK. Re the other service provider using the same lines I can't answer, but if you mean the same phone line to the modem then I would say that they most probably would. I am sure that they will not run a specific line to my house, but I can ask my wife to check as she is very friendly with the owner of the locally based provider (On The Net). One thing that is interesting is that about two years ago workmen dug a trench along the street and laid two cables. One day while the work was being done, I asked one of the workers if they were running the NBN cable and his answer was "I have no idea we are being employed by Optus". after the work was completed along the street at various intervals there are concrete pit boxes with each point having two boxes with one box having Optus in the concrete lid and other having NBN. I really have no ideas what these cables are. My phone line does not connect to either of these cables as it runs underground from my house to a power pole in the street where it runs up the pole to a small junction box and then runs at power line height from pole to pole until it gets to the node box (a reasonably large green box/cabinet). I would very much like to know what these two cables are and if I went with Optus would I be connected to this new cable. I have contacted Optus and they could give me no answer.

4 the simple answer to this question is "no". I have ZoneAlarm virus protection and Malwarebytes (fee version) installed, but both of these have been turned off at various times when doing the speed tests and there was virtually no difference in speed.

Hope the above answers your questions.

David

cf4

I don't think there is a problem with the NBN link for the following reasons:

1. The speed test on the mobile using WiFi was Ok
  2. The modem's line status indicates no problem with link. 60 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. When a speed test is down especially over WiFi the speed test results will be lower due extra supervision bits in the the VDSL stream and the inefficiencies of the WiFi network.

There is something limiting the speed between between PC and Modem. You can check the theoretical ethernet link speed on the PC and the modem.

1. On the PC go to Start > Settings >Network & Internet > Ethernet > Ethernet Adapter > Link Speed (Receive / Transmit)
  2. In the modem on the Modem's Basic home page. The link speed is displayed next to the device.

Both those modems are not compatible with VDSL, but you could connect the WAN port of the TG797 to a LAN port on the DJA0231 and then connect one of the PC to a LAN port of the TG797 and do a speed test. This would check if there is an incompatibility issue between the DJA0231 ethernet ports and the PC ethernet ports.

Mkrtich

@csp  - inclined to agree with cf4 regarding your 60/20 Line Rate. It seems as if whenever Telstra reset or factory reset the modem, correct speeds resume from your PCs but gradual decline in speeds occur. 

Perhaps a faulty DSL controller chip inside the modem which gets gradually overheated thereby slowing down -  could only be verified by connecting another compatible NBN FTTN VDSL2 modem, the modem's LAN ports themselves (some people have had faulty LAN ports) or to discount any issues with your PCs, if you have a friend with a laptop connect it to see if speeds stay consistent with a 50/20 service.

The modem's Log file entries may reveal evidence of slow down activities but customers should not have to do this.

The LAN ports are connected to the Ethernet switch in the CPU Soc in pairs - Ports 1&2 and Ports 3&4 use different power transformers inside. If the PCs are currently in Ports 1&2, can you try Ports 3 and Ports 4.

If you are up to it, suggest you report problem again to Telstra and insist they send you another modem - I would be surprised if they would give you a replacement modem at the Telstra Shop. 

csp

Mkrtich, cf4,

Thank you both for the suggestions.

cf4, I did the theoretical speed on the PC and it gives 1000/1000. I did have the details for the modem's home page but have deleted it so I will have to go searching.

I did as you suggested in using the ADSL modem to feed the NBN modem and the speed test came back as 44.3Mbs (a lot better than the 7Mbs through the Telstra NBN modem only). Maybe we will have to use the ADSL modem as a feed until the matter can be sorted !!!!!!!!!

Mkrtich, Agreed that what ever the customer service people do it seems to solve the problem for a short time before the speed starts to slide.

You could possibly be correct in your idea about the modem overheating, because I have noticed that it is quite warm to touch, whereas the old ADSL modem didn't heat up anything like the new one.

Re swapping the ports, in my various speed test trials I have used all four ports with no real difference in speed.

I did phone the shop earlier today and received the message that because of COVID they are taking much longer to answer the phone but advised to leave a call back number. I did this last week but received no call back and today reading the reviews of the shop, the general comment was that they never do phone back. As a result I am about to drive to the shop and be placed in the 1hr+ wait cue to request/demand that an NBN technician be sent to my house to solve the problem. I might also ask them if I can get a new modem.

It will be interesting to see what comes of that visit and requests !!!!!!!

David

csp

cf4,

Re using  the ADSL modem and your comment -- "This would check if there is an incompatibility issue between the DJA0231 ethernet ports and the PC ethernet ports." as the speed was much better, can you advise what the incompatibility might be between the modem's and computer's ethernet ports. This might be valuable information  to have when I visit the shop or talk to someone.

Also did the speed test with the second computer plugged into the ADSL and it returned similar high speed results.

David

cf4

I can't think of what might be causing the incompatibility but it is more likely to be caused by some some setting or software on the PC causing incompatibility. If you request a Technician visit and they find the slow speed is caused by settings on the PC or software on the PC you are likely to be charged a fee for the visit.

Could you go to this site which will check weather IPv4 and IPv6 is working correctly.

IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test (ipv6-test.com)

csp

cf4,

I have just done the test/s that you suggested through the ADSL into NBN modem and it shows that the IPv4 is connected while the IPv6 is not supported as the results below show.

IPv4 connectivity
IPv4AddressHostnameISP
Supported 
cpe-120-153-28-81.qb08.qld.asp.telstra.net 
Telstra Internet  
IPv6 connectivity
IPv6AddressTypeSLAACICMPHostnameISP
Not supported 

Score
4 / 20

Browser
Default Fallback
IPv4 
No 
DNS
DNS4 + IP6DNS6 + IP4DNS6 + IP6
Unreachable 
Reachable 
Unreachable 
More
I will now do the same test with the computer connected directly to the NBN modem, the results indicate that both the IPv4 and IPv6 are connected

IPv4 connectivity
IPv4AddressHostnameISP
Supported 
cpe-120-153-28-81.qb08.qld.asp.telstra.net 
Telstra Internet  
IPv6 connectivity
IPv6AddressTypeSLAACICMPHostnameISP
Supported 
2001:8003:7dd1:8400:d048:b928:fb63:3793 
Native IPv6 
No 
Reachable 
None 
Telstra Corporation  
Score
18 / 20

Browser
Default Fallback
IPv4 
to IPv6 in < 1 second 
DNS
DNS4 + IP6DNS6 + IP4DNS6 + IP6
Reachable 
Reachable 
Reachable 
More

What is interesting and something that I have just discovered. If I connect the two computers to the ADSL modem the phone light on the NBN modem is off and on testing the home phone it is dead even if I put both computer outputs back into the main modem. I will try to re-boot the NBN modem to see what happens and if I get the home phone back.

I have no idea why changing both computer outputs to the ADSL modem should effect the landline phone.

I have just re-booted the NBN modem and the phone is back in service.

Called into the Telstra shop and was told that there was about 1.5hrs wait, and as I had something else to do in that time frame I could not wait, but was advised to call in about 10mins before the shop opened and I would possibly be able to go straight through. With the Public Holiday tomorrow it will be Thursday before I get the chance to call in as I have an early appointment on Wednesday.

One thing of interest is that while at the shop (there is a person standing at the door taking bookings, etc) I mentioned to the door person about phoning, leaving call back details as requested and not getting a reply and was informed that they never answer the 1800 number --- so why put the number there as the shop's phone contact number !!!!!!!!!  Another cross against Telstra  !!!!!!!

David

LauraBee
Support Team
Support Team

Hi David, not good to hear you've been having trouble with the modem. 

We do have an online troubleshooter that can help diagnose potential faults with the modem or line, which you can use yourself here:  https://tel.st/3gybv;.

Fibre to the node can be a bit tricky with speeds, as there are multiple parts to the same connection which can cause a fluctuation in speeds available, but if the service continually works at higher speeds after a reset it may point to a fault with the modem so the best thing to do would be to pop through to our faults team in the My Telstra app. You can chat with them by heading to the "Get Help" tab, then clicking the blue messaging icon. They'll be able to authenticate your details and run through modem troubleshooting, just say "Faulty modem" to get things started. 

- Laura 

cf4

When you have two Telstra modem's with VOIP connected to the same NBN link you can loose the phone service as the link gets confused with which modem to register the VOIP service. This would explain why the phone stopped working.

Interesting that when IPv6 is not working full speed is achieved. Your ADSL service only had an IPv4 address on it. One thing you could try is disabling IPv6 in the Smart modem's Advanced > Local Network settings. Turn IPv6 state to off, save settings, then reconnect one of the PCs to the Smart modem's LAN port and run a speed test. If you get close to full speed check that IPv6 is set up as per link below.

Activating IPv6 In Microsoft Windows - activereach Ltd.

csp

LauraBee,

I thank you for the information and did as you suggested and got a fairly quick response --- " They'll have your conversation history and will reply shortly." and 70 minutes later and still waiting for "shortly" I have given up. Since the about the  16th Dec I have spent at least five hours (sorry maker that six to include tonight !!!) waiting to be answered by a Telstra customer service person to answer my call. If this is what Telstra consider good service then Telstra should be forced to shut down. If I ran my business as Telstra obviously considers appropriated, I would have been bankrupt years ago. All I can say is that I contracted with Telstra for a service which Telstra has not delivered and doesn't appear to know how to deliver and by Contract Law (I have legal qualifications) if in a contact what is agreed to by the supplier is not what the receiver actually gets then the contract is legally invalid. MY CONTRACT WITH TELSTRA IS INVALID.

csp

Interesting day !!!!

Earlier today I did a check to be sure that IPv6 was activated on both computers --- it was.

I then went into the modem's settings and turned off IPv6 so that only IPv4 was active in the modem and after doing this I did a speed test on both computers, the reading on both was just over 50Mbs and on testing over the next few hours, unlike previous times the speed did not start to decrease but stayed roughly where it was earlier, now almost 9hrs later both computers are still in the 50Mbs range.

I also tried LuaraBee's suggestion of going on line for a chat session with the operator --- did this last night but unlike last night when I waited for a "reply shortly" for over an hour, this time the response was within about 5mins, but it was a complete waste of time. I was on the chat for about 2.5hrs and nothing happened because I am sure that the agent had about 10 calls going at the one time, because he would ask me a question (eg what is the colour of the light at the front of the modem is it green or blue) and I would give the one word answer "green" then I would hear nothing from him for over 15mins when he would reply with (say) what are the colour of the lights on the rear of the modem and I would answer that all except the mobile data light, which is black were green including the wi-fi light which is green.

About 15mins later he would answer with a question (say) is the is the wi-fi light green or black, to which I would again answer green.

This went on like this for over 2hrs by which time I gave up and said that I was exiting the conversation because all that I really wanted was for him to organise a new modem for me, preferably to be collected from the local Telstra shop (I entered the shop's address). then I signed out.

I still have no idea why with the current modem, neither computer will basically work with IPv6 turned on in the modem, but at least until can get to the Telstra shop, hopefully tomorrow and then wait for an hour plus to be called to say it is my turn to be served and hopefully to then be given a new modem, I can have working internet that will play (say) a video and/or allow something to be streamed.

Actually while waiting to be attended to on the Telstra chat site last night, I visited the Optus internet site and somewhere on their crowd support section there was a very interesting article on the NBN's  FTTN internet service and it basically stated that it was the worse possible service and in many cases the speed was lower than ADSL+2. Exactly what I have been experiencing with my FTNN NBN service. It also stated that while areas are still using a combination of ADSL and NBN  FTTN services, to stop the ADSL modems from being confused, the NBN company are greatly restricting  the speed to FTTN customers.

Unfortunately I did not think about saving the article's URL or I would have posted it here for general reading and I am sure that I would not be able to find it again as it was pages down inside replies etc in the forum.

David

cf4

It is more likely to be a setting or software on the PCs that is causing the reduction in speed.

Are the Protocol IPv6 (TCP/ IPv6) properties set to Obtain an IPv6 address automatically and Obtain a DNS server address automatically?

Do you have a Proxy server or VPN setup on the PCs?

Gypsy82
Level 1: Cadet

Honestly it's just Telstra mate. We had the exact same issues for the past 2 years, a couple of weeks ago I cracked it and switched to Aussie broadband. Omg why didn't I make the switch years ago?! We now have 80-100mbps constantly and it never drops out. Previous to this we couldn't even get through 1 movie without Telstra NBN dropping out 7-11 times. What is that?! Good luck mate, hope you get the assistance you need! Now if only I could get my refund back from Telstra..... 🤔

Mkrtich

Glad you have found an interim work around to this mysterious issue. Curious - is your Technicolor modem model a DJA0231 with Firmware version displayed on the Welcome screen as 18.1c 0585-MR7.1-RA or earlier version.  

csp

cf4,

The IPv6 is set to obtain both addresses automatically

Neither computer have any proxy servers or VPN connections.

The Ipv4 is working perfectly with the speed test still showing in excess of 50Mbs.

David

csp

Gypsy82,

I agree and definitely had major problems and complete lack of service/knowledge from the Telstra Customer support section.

If it were not for the knowledge and assistance given by the members of this forum I would be completely stuck.

David

csp

Mkrtich,

Just had a look to sure and that is the firmware version.

David

cf4

Are you now able to stream Video with no problems on the Pcs?

The problem might be due to Zone alarm. Even when the firewall is turned it can cause problems. Check the IPv6 is enabled. See the section "Configure advanced firewall settings" > Enable IPv6 in the link be low.

ZoneAlarm Firewall

csp

cf4,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but had to take my wife to the hospital --- nothing overly serious.

The streaming of videos has never been better, last night I even re-streamed a movie that previously had audio and video sync problems (audio came a few seconds before the video) and it played perfectly, even the audio distortion that I have been experiencing since being connected to the NBN was not present.

I have checked ZoneAlarm and IPv6 is enabled.

I am not really sure why IPv6 is more important than IPv4 especially since the IPv4 is working as I would have expected because the 50Mbs service that I have subscribed to is now working at or above the scheduled speed.

Or is it going to be one of those 3G and 4G mobile phone situations where 3G is going to be phased out in favour of 4G and if so, why is IPv6 better than IPv4 ?

When reading the link that you supplied about ZoneAlarm, it mentioned that even if it is turned off it is still more or less in the background. I do not use Windows Defender and it is turned off, but I wonder if it is still doing something in the background. I have tried to find it in the Control Panel to uninstall it, but can't find it anywhere except in the list of program files and I do not want to drag it to the trash bin, because I believe that doing this does not remove every part of a programme, so if the culprit is Defender, I might trash the program but find that the part that is causing the problem has not been deleted --- I trust that this makes some form of sense !!!!!

Other wise I can not think what could be causing the clash between both computers and the modem with IPv6 enabled in the modem, when the only program type of similarity is Windows, (but one is Windows 10 and the other Windows 8) and Office, but one is running Office 2019 and the other Office 2010. With I think the only other common programs being Photoshop Elements 10 and Zoom.

David

cf4

Ipv6 will eventually replace IPv4 but it will be many years before that occurs. The main reason they are changing to IPv6 is that they are running out of IPv4 addresses.

I don't think the problem is due to Office, Photo Elements 10 or Zoom. or Windows defender. I use Office 10, Zoom and Windows defender on my PC and haven't noticed any problem's.

Glad to hear you able to stream videos Ok and your wife is not seriously ill.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more