Seraphatron
Level 2: Rookie

NBN speed being restricted by router

Answered

So I was getting download speeds of over 90mbps up until we had a major storm about 2 months ago. Following that there were severe download speed issues (reduced to 5-10mbps - over ethernet to my pc) that continued for a number of weeks.

Whenever I plug my PC direct into the NBN modem (I have HFC) then my speeds go back into the 90+ range, which suggested it was the Telstra Gen 2 Smart modem/router.

I have had 2 replacement Telstra Gen 2 Smart modem/routers sent in replacement, both of which presented the same issue and very sketchy WAN/LAN connection issues, sometimes just automatically switching to the SIM backup.

I recently purchased my own router (thinking it was an issue with the Telstra router) however this is still only providing max 10mbps download (via WiFi or Ethernet) again!

I have physically replaced each ethernet cable with new ones - I'm just at a loss as to what the issue is or what to do/where to go to from here. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN speed being restricted by router

You go through Telstra for the replacement box.

Although electrical equipment including ethernet ports are made to a certain specification. There is a certain tolerance within the specs and not all ethernet ports will have the exactly the same electrical specs. The ethernet port on the NBN box might just be outside the specs due to a fault caused by the electrical storm.The PC ethernet port might have a wider tolerance than the ethernet ports on the telstra modems or the third party router.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4

Sounds like the HFC NTD has a faulty UNI-D port and the router and the Telstra modems are only connecting to this port at 10 Mbps instead of 1 Gbps. The WAN ports on the Telstra modem are 10/100/1000Mbps port and automatically connect at the fastest speed supported by the ethernet port they connect.

Do you know what the specs are for the Ethernet port on the PC is. The speed of the ethernet port is displayed on the modem's Devices page when PC is connected to modem's LAN port. 

Seraphatron

Thanks for getting back to me. Not sure if what I'm looking at is what you mean but in the Properties for the Ethernet within my network settings it says that the Link speed (receive/Transmit) is 1000/1000 (Mbps)... is that what you mean?

If the UNI-D port is faulty - does this mean that there's an issue with NBN?

cf4

Yes the link speed (receive/transmit) is what I was looking for.

There isn't a fault with the NBN but a fault with the NBN connection box. You have tried several different modem's and routers so the problem has to be with the ethernet port on the NBN connection box. When you have the router connected to NBN connection box is the speed of the WAN port displayed in the routers status page? It will probably show connected at 10 Mbps instead of 1000 Mbps.

Seraphatron

haha ok mate you've got me now. how do I get into the routers status page?

@cf4 wrote:

Yes the link speed (receive/transmit) is what I was looking for.

There isn't a fault with the NBN but a fault with the NBN connection box. You have tried several different modem's and routers so the problem has to be with the ethernet port on the NBN connection box. When you have the router connected to NBN connection box is the speed of the WAN port displayed in the routers status page? It will probably show connected at 10 Mbps instead of 1000 Mbps.

cf4

Instructions for viewing the routers status page depend on the model of the router.

If you have the Technicolor version of the Gen 2 Smart Modem (DJA0231) open a Web browser and go to http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra then go to Advanced > Broadband > Ethernet link Status. The speed of the WAN port will be displayed.

Seraphatron

Mate thanks again. So I finally got around to doing that.

Ethernet Link Status says that it's "Up" at 100M however when I refresh it will switch to "Down" for multiple refreshes and then eventually it will go back to 100M?.. Seems to be "down" more than "up".

Does this mean that the connection box is faulty? If so, why does my PC not seem to notice it when directly connected by ethernet and getting the 90+ Mbps download? (that question is more for my own inquisitorial benefit - noting that if it's faulty then I need to get a new connection box)

If the connection box is faulty, do I go through NBN Co for a replacement or Telstra?

cf4
Accepted Solution

You go through Telstra for the replacement box.

Although electrical equipment including ethernet ports are made to a certain specification. There is a certain tolerance within the specs and not all ethernet ports will have the exactly the same electrical specs. The ethernet port on the NBN box might just be outside the specs due to a fault caused by the electrical storm.The PC ethernet port might have a wider tolerance than the ethernet ports on the telstra modems or the third party router.

View solution in original post

Seraphatron

Mate thank you so very much - currently waiting to hear back from Telstra Tech Spt on this..

Many thanks once again.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more