JohnL123
Level 2: Rookie

NBN, Telstra Smart Modem 2 with ASUS RT-AC87U

My business is moving to the NBN from Telstra Cable. I have been sent an NBN connection box and a Smart Modem II (with 4G Sim backup).

How can I configure the new installation so my ASUS RT-AC87U still acts as the router, and the combination of the connection box and smart modem II just acts as a modem.

Will I still be able to use the 4G backup?

Is this the best way to configure the NBN connection?

Will my fax machine still work? (guessing not)

Thanks John

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN, Telstra Smart Modem 2 with ASUS RT-AC87U

There are two ways you can set up your network.

1. Connect Smart modem WAN port to the NBN connection box and connect WAN port of ASUS to a LAN port of Telstra Smart modem. This has the advantage that phone and 4 G backup work but devices connected to ASUS have double NAT

2. The other way is to connect the ASUS WAN port directly to NBN connection box and Telstra modem's WAN port to LAN port of ASUS. Phone should still work but 4G will only work for phone and devices connected to Smart modem.

For both types of Connections set ASUS Internet settings (Advanced Settings > WAN >
Internet Connection) to

WAN Connection Type: Automatic IP

Enable WAN: Yes

Enable NAT: Yes

Connect to DNS Server Automatically: Yes

Authentication: Non

Host: Blank

MAC Address: Leave default.

If using setup 2 first connect Telstra Smart modem directly to NBN connection box and wait for all lights except Wireless Signal and Wireless mode to turn green. This will allow modem to be configured correctly for your service. The ASUS can then be connected directly to NBN connection box.

If there are problems with incoming calls change setting for SIP ALG. (Advanced Settings > WAN > NAT Passthrough > SIP Passthrough.

Your fax might work but can't guarantee it will.

JohnL123

Thanks,

I have VOIP phones already so I anticipate that there will be no change to their operation under the NBN, 

What are the implications of having double NAT, as I anticipate that all devices will be connected to the ASUS router?

cf4

Most apps and games will still work with double NAT. Its when you try to set up a server such as a game server on your network that problems occur with remote sites not being able to connect to the server. Most of these problems can be overcome by putting the ASUS in the DMZ of the Telstra modem.

Third party VOIP services should still work. I have a Mynetfone VOIP service that still works.

JohnL123

I am worried about the double NAT.

The whole business lives behind the ASUS router:

A 24 port switch

Win 2012 V2 Server

Two network printers

Two workstations

3 VOIP phones

A NAS for backups

A UPS

cf4

You will still be able to access servers from local network. If you want remote access to servers from the internet the ASUS will need to be set up in the DMZ of the Telstra Smart modem.

It would be a lot easier in setting up to connect ASUS directly to NBN connection box. 

JohnL123

So just to confirm that it's an option to connect the ASUS directly to NBN connection box? And just don't plug in the Smart Modem II at all?

If that is possible then its a fantastic outcome for me, as that's exactly how my cable internet is connected now. My cable router/modem has the router features disabled, and plugs directly into the ASUS router.

cf4

Yes you can just plug the Asus router into connection box and if you don't require a phone or 4G backup leave telstra modem disconnected.

If you don't have Telstra modem connected and something you might find it harder to get support to fix any faults.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more