Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN - Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor - Dashboard DSL Status

Answered

Hi, we're having trouble (were having trouble also before this Covid drama) with intermittent drop outs.  I am not a technical person, so struggling to find a fix.  I've gotten into the dashboard for modem and all looks good, the only 'flag' I could see was the 'Broadband' area for Advanced Settings, the DSL is showing as 'red' - disconnected.  Is this supposed to be green.....I'm guessing it is......any suggestions on what the cause is and how I might remedy?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN - Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor - Dashboard DSL Status

It will require an NBN Tech visit but you will have to go through Telstra support. NBN doesn't allow customers to contact them directly for link faults.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If you are on an FTTN connection, then yes, the DSL should be green.

You can check for outages in your area via outages.telstra.com.au

Rebooting the modem may fix it.

Running the troubleshooter at fix.telstra.com may also assist.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thanks for responding.  I'm not sure which type of NBN connection I have.  We have a small NBN connection box inside the house, does that mean we're HFC?  If so, should the DSL light be green/active for that connection type as well?  Thanks K

Highlighted

No the, the DSL light should only be green if the Connectiin type is one where the DSL port of the modem is connected to  wall phone socket..

Highlighted
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Is the NBN connection box inside your home white with a LED Panel (FTTC) or is it Black with 4 Green LEDs (HFC). - if the later, DSL is not applicable. Are the drop outs related to the NBN network visible by inspecting LED stays on the connection box or Wi-Fi dropouts on mobile devices?

Highlighted

Hi there, the NBN box is the Black with 4 Green LEDS, thanks for that, so at least confirmed its HFC.  The drop outs noticed, when computers stop responding, I go check the LEDs on the Connection Box and Modem, typically they're both in 'error', often the "Phone" indicator on the modem box is yellow/amber.  Usually a few minutes and the mobile back up kicks in on the modem and the NBN connection box then starts firing up again.  This would be okay if only every so often but it is frequently.   

Highlighted

If the NBN connection box lights are indicating a fault then the drop outs are due to an intermittent fault in the NBN link. There is nothing you can do apart from checking cable between NTD box and wall coax wall plate is connected correctly at both ends. It will probably require a Techs visit to fix fault.   

Highlighted

Thanks, that makes sense I think.  So the tech visit - a Telstra Tech Visit or an NBN Tech Visit - can't raise anyone from Telstra currently given the Covid issues.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

It will require an NBN Tech visit but you will have to go through Telstra support. NBN doesn't allow customers to contact them directly for link faults.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more