Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN, Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with 3rd Party Router

Answered

Hi,

I have just been switched over to NBN (HFC); I have had the NBN box installed and Smart Gen 2 modem router is working with internet connection. However I want to retain my existing WRT 1200AC router (running Gargoyle) for my home network.

I want to keep home phone (not sure why) and have followed instructions to assign the router a static IP and add to the Telstra Smart Modem DMZ. However I cannot get an internet connection with this setup. WAN port on WRT1200 is connected to LAN port on Gen 2. 

WRT1200AC Setup

Static IP (Wired) and set to the IP configured for router on GEN 2 192.168.0.3

Gateway set to IP address of GEN 2 192.168.0.1

Mask as per GEN 2

GEN 2 Setup

Under WAN Services, DMZ is enabled and Destination IP is 192.168.0.3

From other posts this should work, however the WRT1200AC is not getting internet connection. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Bruce

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN, Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with 3rd Party Router

Have you tried setting WRT internet connection type set to DHCP ISP does no require username or password and setting a static lease for the WRT in the Gen 2 modem.

If you want WRT as the main router it would be better to connect it directly to the NBN modem and connect Telstra modem's WAN port to a WRT's LAN port. You would not need any special settings in the Gen 2 modem. The benefit would be that devices connected to WRT would not have double NAT. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have you tried setting WRT internet connection type set to DHCP ISP does no require username or password and setting a static lease for the WRT in the Gen 2 modem.

If you want WRT as the main router it would be better to connect it directly to the NBN modem and connect Telstra modem's WAN port to a WRT's LAN port. You would not need any special settings in the Gen 2 modem. The benefit would be that devices connected to WRT would not have double NAT. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the reply; I had read about that as an option and had resorted to connecting the WRT to the NBN modem while I waited for a fix to the initial setup I was trying. After I posted the question, I realised the 4G backup was something I could live without. If I ever do need it, I can temporarily switchover to the Gen 2 router. Thanks again.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more