Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN through Foxtel box

I am trying to connect to the NBN through my Foxtel box. The instructions say to plug the NBN modem into the wall socket where the Foxtel cable was, then plug the Foxtel cable into the modem. However, I have 2 cables coming from the Foxtel box to the wall socket. Which do I use? Or is there another way to do this? Foxtel says it is Telstra's problem and Telstra wants to charge $240 for a technician to come out and plug it in! Please help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN through Foxtel box

Sounds like your foxtel is provided by a satellite dish on the roof. If so once connected to NBN the box should remain connected to the existing wall socket. There should be another socket for the NBN modem to plug into.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

One of the cables into the wall will have a screw connection. This is the one that gets connected to the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Where would this other socket be? On the wall or on the Foxtel box? There are 4 cords coming from the Foxtel box - 2 are exactly the same and are input and output. One is the cord - I think it is called ethernet cable which goes to my TV, and the last is the power cord.

Highlighted

Both cables going into the wall have screw ends. Both are from the Foxtel box. One is labelled (on the box) output and the other is input. Foxtel told me that both cables are necessary.

Highlighted

Which model Foxtel box do you have? I don't recall seeing an "Output" on a Foxtel box other than for an antenna connection to a TV.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

It's an iQ4. I'm not at home right now so can't give any other details but will check again when I get home. Thank you for helping out!

Highlighted

If you are on a Satellite connection, then neither of those sockets get connected to the modem as they go to the satellite dish. Having 2 seems to be a legacy from the iQ2 as my mother-in-law has an iQ4 connected via Satellite and it only uses a single connection to the dish.

The ethernet cable gets plugged into your modem (from the iQ4) and the modem gets plugged into the NBN connection

Highlighted

Thank you for that information. I will try it when I get home!

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Current IQ4's have 2 antenna connections (Input 1 and Input 2) to the LNA on the dish. There is also a TV aerial connection if required for terrestrial service. All are 'F' Type threaded connectors.

See https://www.foxtel.com.au/content/dam/foxtel/support/pdf/iq4-sik-sat-sep19.pdf  but note that the document does show the ethernet port.

I think the missing connection is the ethernet cable between the IQ4 and the modem/router for internet. However, you can also connect the IQ4 to the internet by Wi-Fi so check in the IQ4 settings to see if that is the case.

LG67 - Note that the cable between the IQ4 and TV is not ethernet but HDMI.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

IF you have FTTC or HFC NBN the NBN modem plugs into a phone wall socket FTTC or coax wall socket HFC. The Telstra modem's WAN port connects to the Ethernet port on NBN modem.

For NBN FTTB or FTTN connections the Telstra modem connects directly to a wall phone socket.

The IQ4 Foxtel box connects to Telstra modem either by WiFi or Ethernet cable.

The cable going to the TV is a HDMI cable.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more