Lala57
Level 1: Cadet

NBN transition problem

Hi there,

I have recently set up my Telstra Smart Modem and NBN connection box in anticipation of connecting to the NBN.

The Smart Modem stayed blue which I believe indicates the backup data mode is working before turning green to indicate NBN connection. The NBN connection box lights were all blue (good according to the instructions).

I was told by a Telstra Support person that these colours (blue Smart Modem light) meant my connection to the NBN was still pending and that someone will call me to take me through the next step in the procedure (not sure what this is, I just thought we had to plug everything in and 'bingo'). This call is scheduled for Monday 9 Nov.

However, in the meantime, my Smart Modem has turned green, but the blue LAN light on my NBN connection box has started flashing (out of backup data?) - AND I've totally lost internet connection to all my devices. This situation has lasted for about 36 hours. 

Is anyone able to explain to me what is happening? Have I plugged something incorrectly? Is this to be expected in the transition - I thought the transition was meant to be pretty well seamless, maybe 20 mins lapse in connection?

Hoping someone can clarify for me.

Thank you

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: NBN transition problem

Where you able to connect to the internet O when the Smart Modem was in 4G backup mode (blue light)?

What sort of NBN service have you got and what NBN device has the blue light flashing?

When you say you have totally lost internet connection to all your devices..  how are those devices connected? All by Wi-Fi or some have ethernet cables? Are you able to connect a laptop or PC using a cable and see if you can browse the internet? If so, it might just be some settings in the modem that need to be changed.

Yes, it should be relatively seamless, but the Smart Modem will do updates when first started and connected and unfortunately some of those updates actually introduce other problems, but are easy to fix. The more information you can provide about your equipment, the easier it will be to help you. Make and model of the NBN and Telstra equipment is a good place to start - look for labels on the bottom or a written label on the case.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

The green flashing LAN light on the NBN box indicates transmission of data so is normal when NBN is connected and working normally. The green light on front of Telstra modem also indicates a normal NBN connection. You have not done anything wrong but the connection could still be pending and Telstra might not have completed the programing of your connection. You could try powering the Telstra modem off and then back on. You should be able to check the status of your connection on the My Telstra app or online at Telstra My Account.

If rebooting modem does not restore internet and the status of your connection is shown as complete report a fault to Telstra. You can restore your internet by forcing modem into backup mode by disconnecting WAN port on modem.

Lala57

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I was able to connect to the internet when the modem was in backup mode. 

I have an unlimited plan service and the blue light that is flashing is on a grey nbn connection box - it is the LAN light. 

My devices are all connected by wi-fi. 

I'm away from home at the moment, so can't provide specific model details. 

Lala57

(blue LAN light on NBN box flashing - probably indicates the same thing).

My order is indeed still pending, so perhaps this is why our Wi-Fi isn't working at all. I just didn't expect the programming of the connection to take nearly 2 days.

Thanks for the instructions - I'll give them a go.

SteveW_52

Try connecting a device to the modem with a cable, so you can access the modem interface and change settings to get the Wi-Fi working aagin..

The blue LAN light is is indicating data going between the modem and the NBN box.

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Your Wi-Fi is local and not part of the NBN service - it comes from the modem to allow you to connect devices.

Stevo 52
cf4

Blue flashing light also indicates data transmission. Blue indicate the connection between Telstra modem's WAN port and LAN port on NBN NTD is at 1 Gbps. Green indicates 100 Mbps. This is speed between modem and NTD box not the actual speed of the NBN connection.

If order is still pending I would disconnect Telstra modem's WAN port forcing modem into backup mode, Reconnect WAN port on Monday. This should give you internet while waiting for order to be completed.

The internet stopped due to modem switching from backup to the NBN link. The switch was probably due to partial programing of your connection.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more