Vicki24
Level 1: Cadet

NBN

I have an appointment for next Tuesday to get the NBN connected. I received my smart modem this morning and I’m under the impression that I also need an NBX box. Is this the case

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN

What type of NBN connection is it (FTTN, FTTB, FTTC, FTTP, HFC, FW)? Enter your address into https://nbnco.com.au and it will tell you.

If it is FTTN, then all you need is the Telstra modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

Depends on type of connection whether you will need a NBN box. If the connection type is FTTN or FTTB then you don't need a NBN connection box. If you do need a NBN connection box and a NBN technician is due to visit your premises they will supply the NBN connection box.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

The new modem you received is probably a Smart Modem 2, which has 4G backup capability. You should be able to plug that device in and get it running even without the NBN service being connected. It will use 4G (blue indicator on the front) so will be slower but you can still connect devices by cable and wi-fi to get them working..  I would suggest you connect one device at a time, especially if you are using Wi-Fi for many of them..

When the NBN service is delivered, you can connect that to the modem (via grey DSL port or red WAN port, depending on the type of service you are getting). The modem will then switch to that service (Green indicator).

Not that after first power up, the modem will probably go through some firmware updates, so give it time to complete those and settle down to a steady blue or green indication..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Vicki24
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you so much

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more