LeotheLion1
Level 1: Cadet

Nearly there...

Answered

Hi Guy's,

I have a 17 year old who I need to now "manage" on and off our WIFI as well as stopping her mates from accessing it via the password printed on the back of the modem when they visit. I understand I can change the Thomson WIFI password BUT if it is "reset" all goes back to factory settings and she can do this to access it anyway and over-ride the password change (as she did this morning). Is this correct? Is there another more permanent way of stopping unauthorised access to our WIFI account without cabling into the modem and stopping WIFI altogether?  I want to be able to give her access by me putting the password into her devices and they "forgetting the network" when her time is up... 

Thanks in advance for your advice and direction on how to tackle this one successfully.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
petfy
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Nearly there...

I  only have intermediate knowledge of routers and home network systems.

As far as I know, the only way to prevent unauthorised wifi access password resets is to physically prevent access to the router. Perhaps a well ventilated plastic box with an improvised pad lock on it.

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Yep, the only way to stop her from factory resetting the modem is to physically prevent her from gaining access to it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
petfy
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

I  only have intermediate knowledge of routers and home network systems.

As far as I know, the only way to prevent unauthorised wifi access password resets is to physically prevent access to the router. Perhaps a well ventilated plastic box with an improvised pad lock on it.

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Yep, the only way to stop her from factory resetting the modem is to physically prevent her from gaining access to it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

LeotheLion1

Ah I thought so... Well that's a bummer!!! Thanks Jupiter!
LeotheLion1

Looks like that may be the only solution! Thanks so much!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more