Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Netgear ac-1700 router with f@ast 5355

As I said I've just purchased a new netgear ac-1700 router and I'm trying to get it set-up on my network. However as soon as I plug the router into my WAN port i loose all internet access apart from the modem setup page. Pairing doesn't work either. I need to get this set-up and on the system so I can get into the netgear's config page and begin setting it up,so anyone knows what's going on here? My computer doesn't have a physical ethernet port as the f@ast seem to work via wi-fi just fine until now.

Michael Petterson

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Netgear ac-1700 router with f@ast 5355

Plug the Netgear ac-1700 router's WAN port into one of the F@st5355 LAN port instead of plugging Netgear ac-1700 router's WAN port into the F@st5355 WAN port and it should have internet access. You will have double NAT on devices connected to the Netgear ac-1700 router which might cause problems depending on what apps you are using.

Highlighted

The netgear ac-1700 doesn't have a WAN port. Just the normal internet ports and 4 numbered slots for extra connections or I would have tried that.

Michael Petterson
Highlighted

What is the model of the Netgear. There are several different Netgear ac-17000 and if it is to function as a router it must have either a WAN port or a EWAN port (a LAN port that can be configured as a WAN port).

Are you trying to use the Netgear as a router or just as a switch and WiFi access point?

Highlighted

My current model is the ac-1900 smart wi-fi router. and yes I am trying to set it up as a wi-fi hotspot as the F@ast 5335 is unable to do that.It seems to be that the Internet port is the Wan point,but I've tried plugging that into the F@st5355 LAN port and i still can't access the router setup page.

Michael Petterson
Highlighted

You have to connect directly to the routers WiFi or one of its LAN ports and disconnect the the device you are using from the F@st5355 in order to access the routers settings.

Highlighted

I tried that as well,yesterday and the result almost nuked my entire network. I have no idea why but the modem seemed to be stuck and could not connect to the internet until I factory-set it. That's not a experiment I'm anxious to repeat.

Michael Petterson
Highlighted

Edit: Just tied taking everything else out of the network and still no luck. Still not able to access the router's config page.

Michael Petterson

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more