Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Netgear C6300 SNMP support

Does anyone know if the C6300 cable modem supports snmp? The data sheet (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/datasheet/en/C6300.pdf) states that it does, but it doesn't appear to be enabled. My previous CG3100 did, and I'd really appreciate it greatly if I could enable it.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Netgear C6300 SNMP support

Hi Mike_K,

Can you confirm what it is that you are trying to accomplish? 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Shelly, I'd like to pull basic SNMP values from the device to monitor its health and provide visibility of its performance and utilisation/throughput. Values like bit counters and error rates for the various interfaces, uptime, etc. Its useful to see and measure how congested the wireless interface is, what utilisation you're getting out of the upstream connection, and if you have inbound services port forwarded to a local-side device, you can view how active it is.

It's a fairly basic bread-and-butter feature, that for reasons unbeknown, has been excluded in the Telstra build of the firmware. It would be great if inclusion of the feature could be reviewed, as it is extremely useful.

I'd be happy to share what I have, or show the graphs that are produced from this data collection, so others who are interested could also look at implementing the same. After all, it's all about the total wealth of knowledge as a collective, right?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mike_K,

I have passed your feedback through to the team that manages the firmware on the modem. Given the limited number of customers utilising this feature, it may be some time before this is addressed, if at all.

Where the provided modem doesn't meet your needs, I would suggest purchasing a BYO router that you can bridge to the modem and which will allow you to exert absolute control over the LAN.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thanks Shelly. I'm all in support for review of features in the firmware as it is the most efficient and cost effective solution. Here's hoping that as the device, when developed and shipped by Netgear, natively supports the capability, enabling the feature won't be seen as too difficult. That being said, there still appears to be a delay in the distribution of firmware that was initially announced and released months ago.

I understand the general development release life cycle and hope that it doesn't take a device refresh (next generation) before this basic function is (re)considered. If I were to consider BYO, I'd opt for a BYO modem; Unfortunately that's not permitted, although it's proving difficult to find the reasons why this is the case. After all, DSL customers have this ability, and access to the network remains restricted by credentials, with only a single device being allowed association with an account.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi, is there any update on the ability of this modem to support SNMP? If it's a standard feature of the base Netcom modem, it wouldn't be hard to enable it, and enabling it would have no effect on anyone that don't use it ... Thanks

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I'd like support for SNMP as well.

My use case it to track traffic usage by the various devices the kids are using to see if any of them are downloading excessive items...

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I ended up with a different telstra gateway max, the technicolor tg799 but it didnt have snmp either. So I wrote a screen scraper script that downloaded the routers broadband status page and I extracted the parts I needed such as sync speeds up/down, snr and noise. I wrote this to an rrd file and can now view on mrtg .. Screen Shot 16.jpg

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more