tarsel
Level 4: Private Eye

Netgear Nighthawk M1 Router Firmware Upgrade problem

Having logged in as Admin into this router I searched through 'Administration' to 'Firmware Upgrade'. 'Search for Upgrade' advises that there is a 112Mb upgrade available with various bug fixes, etc.. When I go to download this upgrade an error message pops up which says "Error. Unabled to update firmware"... it's not even grammatically correct but it certainly isn't helpful!

I was hoping that maybe a firmware update might help improve our upload speed. Our download speed is 20Mbps but upload is often 0.25Mbps. If anyone has any other ideas that might improve this I'd be pleased to hear them.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
ChipKing
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Netgear Nighthawk M1 Router Firmware Upgrade problem

I have the same issue, I was about to return the M1 to a Telstra store though I don't have the original receipt since it was a gift and I have since thrown out the box... I have searched this problem all day and everybody is having the same problem as us - with no reply from Telstra (or Netgear).
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
mazinoz
Level 19: Deputy Director

You may have to wait for Netgear to roll out the upgrade to you as an automatic update.
tarsel
Level 4: Private Eye

In which case why would they say an upgrade is available and can be downloaded NOW?

DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@tarsel

Are you able to try a factory reset of your modem, and then try to update the firmware?
There will be a reset button under the back cover which you will need to press and hold for a full 10 seconds.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

ChipKing

Hi DeltaSquad, I can tell you that this does not fix the problem. I did this 3 times and apart from having to set the login password - nothing else was changed and it still didn't work. Will wait for @tarsel's reply but I'm certain this will not fix their issue either.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
CofG

I'm having the same issue here. I've tried various methods of updating the firmware, via web interface, via mobile up, after factory resetting. All result in the same thing.

"Error: Unabled to update firmware."

I'm stuck on firmware NTG9X50C_10.05.04.00, which if I'm not mistaken, is rather dated now.

I'm having issues with the ethernet port that more recent firmware versions are supposed to fix, among other things. Currently, the ethernet port is useless and I'm forced to use WiFi.
MammaB
Support Team
Support Team

Hi CofG, can I ask if you have spoken with our Mobile Assurance Team via either 13 2200 (Mobile) or on  http://tel.st/8jgx about what can be done to assist you with this?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

davidtyn

My problem is even worse than this - the nighthawk m1 router starts up, shows the signon for netwgear, telstra and 4gx, and then go in to an infinite wait with a swirling icon. It does not ever get to a system ready state so that I could access wifi through at all. I have tried all the rest options, connected an ethernet cable, but nothing helps. Is there not a direct cable method for forcing it to reset?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more