Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Nighthawk X6 Ac2200 WiFi Mesh Extender issue with Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

I have just purchased a Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC2200 WiFi Mesh Extender and set it up with a Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 but the wifi now drops out within 30 mins-1 hour and when it tries to reconnect has an incorrect password error (even though it is correct).  When I turn off the extender the Smart Modem works again and devices can reconnect without the incorrect password error.  Any idea how I can rectify the issue?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Nighthawk X6 Ac2200 WiFi Mesh Extender issue with Telstra Smart Modem Gen2

There are two versions of the Smart modem, one made by Arcadyan (LH1000) and the other by Technicolor (DJA0231). Similar problem has occurred before with the LH1000 modem. The LH1000 thinks it is a satellite of the WiFi mesh system and changes the modem's WiFi password and SSID to match that of the mesh. There is no known work around. This will require a firmware update by Telstra to fix.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - may I clarify a few things with you in regards to your configuration.

1. Does the Telstra Modem broadcast one common Wi-Fi name for both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz networks e.g Telstra123456 or does it show two distinct network names Telstra123456 (2.4Ghz) and Telstra123456-5G (5Ghz). Achieved by Disabling Band Steering on the 2.4Ghz page and SAVE.  

3. You have the EX7700 connected in Extender mode via Wi-Fi and not connected with an Ethernet Cable to the modem.

4. You have activated the One Wi-Fi Name feature, where the Netgear inherits and uses identical SSIDs and passwords from the Telstra modem's 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

5. You have activated the Smart Connect feature where the devices on the Extender will connect to the fast dedicated 5Ghz band but the 2.4Ghz device speeds are capped. This extender is a Tri-Band unit - features three Wi-Fi radios, one of the 5Ghz radio bands is dedicated for Wi-Fi backhaul back to the Telstra modem. 

6. Does the Extender indicate a strong signal LED for the backhaul at the location you have it installed. 

7. "the wifi now drops out within 30 mins-1 hour and when it tries to reconnect has an incorrect password error (even though it is correct)" - do you mean a device or all devices connected to the front haul of the Extender or do you mean the Extender disconnects. If you mean a device/s, is it a 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz device. 

8. This extender has no Wi-Fi Alliance Certification for EasyMesh on its datasheet, I think it uses Netgear Mesh technology, so may not be associated with recent MAC swap experiences with Telstra modems that do support EasyMesh.

9. Check the status of your Extender firmware in case it needs an update - there is a Security Advisory PSV-2020-0109 (Jan?) regarding Security Misconfiguration in case that assists. 

Highlighted

Correction - Items 4 (One WiFi Name) and 5 (Smart Connect) are mutually exclusive - I should have typed "Have you" instead of "You have". 

Also , I may have fallen victim to Netgear Marketing Hype on the Tri-Band Advertising, making me assume there are three distinct radios, with a separate 5Ghz radio providing a backhaul. Looking at the User Manual Page 53, I now have the impression that it has two radios with the second radio, the 5Ghz 802.11ac radio, is partitioned into Low and High Band sectors, with one serving front haul connections to the Extender and the other providing the dedicated link back to the Telstra modem. Unsure? 

It may be that is how the Telstra WiFi Gen 2 Booster also works as I have seen mention of a dedicated 5Ghz backhaul in posts, but it only has two radios. 

Highlighted

Thanks for reply Mkrtich. 
to answer your questions:

1. Yes the same WiFi name is being used for both

3. extender is connected via WiFi 

4. yes

5. yes

6. white led on front of modem and green on rear both strong 

7. the extender disconnects as do devices such as iPhone which is then unable to connect again not even to the router as it has an incorrect password error when it tries

8. noted

9. firmware is up to date

not sure how the low and high band connections work back to the router  
move tried resetting and connection the extender again but no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks 

Highlighted

Netgear User Manuals aren't the easiest to follow - I struggle with them sometimes.

A White LED on the front panel of the Extender is great - strong link.

The One Wi-Fi feature is mutually exclusive with the Smart Connect feature, so you need to decide how you want to operate the Extender zone of coverage. I will cover the differences between the two options.

Firstly, take note of your devices in the Extender Zone  - are the majority 5 Ghz or 2.4 Ghz devices? 

ONE WI_FI NETWORK:

If you Disable Bandsteering in the Telstra Modem and SAVE - with One Wi-Fi Network, your modem will show two Wi-Fi names on the Modem and the same two names on the Extender per Page 16 of User Manual . Page 20 shows you how to Enable or Disable the One Wi-Fi function.

The next decision under this option is to determine if you want to have the link from the Extender back to the Modem, the Back Haul channel, on operate on the slower 2.4Ghz or faster 5Ghz band. This will be determined by the distance between both devices and the mix of devices in the Extender Zone.  

SMART CONNECT OPTION:  Page 21 

In this mutually exclusive alternative scenario, with the Band Steering left Enabled on the Modem ( one common name for Telstra's 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz SSIDs), the Smart Connect option has the Extender's 2.4Ghz and the 5GHz having their own same common name (different to the Modems') and the Extender will determine the fastest Wi-Fi band for each respective device within the Extender's coverage zone. 

If after you reconfigure the Extender to suit your requirements and you continue to have dropouts, check for any Netgear firmware updates. One of my friends had random Extender dropouts on her EX7300, but I can't remember if it has a Smart Connect feature. I will be seeing her next week and will check to see if they have continued.  

Highlighted

Great thanks for the advice I will work my way through and let you know how I go. 

I have assumed with the Smart Connect option that Band Steering is Enabled on the Modem to provide common name for 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz band on the Telstra modem. This may actually not have to be the case and Band Steering could be Disabled as it only impacts the Telstra Modem. You could experiment with both options in case the Extender likes to see two separate Telstra SSIDs.  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more