Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

No Internet access using WiFi adapter connecting toTelstra SmartModem

I have an HP Pavilion laptop with an internal Ralink RT3290.802.11bgn WiFi adapter running Windows 8.1 64 bit. A week or so ago it stopped being able to connect to the Internet via a Telstra SmartModem (Technicolor DJA0230TLS running software  18.1.c). Other devices using the same SmartModem were able to connect to the Internet OK. A workaround was to use an external WiFi modem (D-Link DWA 131 Wireless Nano USB Adapter (rev. E). This was able to connect to the SmartModem. Using the Ralink adapter I was able to connect to an iPhone personal hotspot, and also to a D-Link Wireless Modem DS-2877 AL). Suspecting  a poor radio link between the Ralink and the SmartModem, I checked the connected device display of the SmartModem and saw that the Ralink adapter connected with a bandwidth of 144.444 Mpbs. Another laptop with a working Internet connection showed a bandwidth of 300 Mbps.  Can anyone advise me on how I can get the Ralink adapter to connect to the SmartModem and provide Internet access?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: No Internet access using WiFi adapter connecting toTelstra SmartModem

The DJA0230 and DJA0231 were recently updated to firmware 18.1.c.514-950RB. This firmware added a new WiFi security profile (Protected Management Frames PMF) which was enabled by default. Your adapter might not be compatible. Suggest you disable PMF in the Advanced > WiFi > 2.4 GHz settings.

Highlighted

That did it! Thanks very much.

Highlighted

where / how do you turn the PMF off ?? 

Highlighted

Log into the modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra), go to Advanced > WiFi. On each WiFi band scroll down, look for Protected Management Frames, set to disabled and save settings.

Highlighted

Excellent ! Thank you !!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more