DTIW
Level 3: Gumshoe

No Internet connection! - Connecting Telstra NBN to Orbi AX4200

I have Telstra NBN, with the White Telstra frontier gateway smart modem, connected to the black NBN box (UNI-D1).

I haves the NBN black box connected to the Telstra modem, then have an Ethernet from the Telstra modem to the Orbi (internet port).

I have not been able to get an internet connection (i have read here that you’Re able to connect UNI-D1 directly to the Orbi, but i have tried to no avail). Have tried this many times, rebooting NBN , Modem and router.. 

About to return this Orbi Router as i have spent 1.5 hours with a Telstra technician online but unable to solve .

Any advice please,…. How do i connect the NBN Black box, to Telstra smart modem to the Orbi router? (I’ve

tried putting the Telstra smart modem into bridged mode, but this didn’t seem to work either) .

Thank you..

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
45 REPLIES 45
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: No Internet connection! - Connecting Telstra NBN to Orbi AX4200

The UNI-D1 port gets plugged into the WAN port of the Telstra Modem. The WAN port (yellow) of the Orbi Router gets plugged into a LAN port of the Telstra modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cf4

Did you set up the Orbi as per page 22 off Manual (Connection without login)?

Account Name Blank

Domain Name Blank

Internet IP address: Get Dynamically from Router

Domain Name Server Get Automatically ISP

MAC Address Use default.

This should work for connections with yellow WAN port of Orbi connected directly to NBN NTD or to LAN port of frontier.

DTIW

Thanks, but I’m unable to access “Orbilogin.com”, when I’m connected to the Orbi network, and cannot proceed… 

Tried this on multiple computers, and on all of them, the ‘site can’t be reached’. .. 

cf4

Have you tried going to http://192.168.1.1

DTIW

Ok thank you - it seems to be working , such that i can connect to 192.168.1.1 / orbilogin.com

so it seems to be connected to the internet -THANK YOU! 

The only other thing now is that the speeds seem quite slow. I’m getting around 50Mbps, whereas on the Telstra frontier gateway on its’ own I’m getting 90Mbps! (Which is so ironic)

do i have to put the Telstra frontier gateway modem into BRIDGED MODE ? 

(I recall i tried that, but the online light doesn’t go on - and no internet connection) 

So while i seem to be getting internet now, … i wonder now why the speeds seem to be slower than without the Orbi! 

cf4

Should not need to put the Frontier in Bridge mode. Bridge mode is only useful when you have a DSL connection (ADSL, FTTN or FTTB) and you need to use the Frontier as a DSL modem only. Rather than put Frontier modem in Bridge mode you are better of connecting Orbi directly to NBN NTD.

When in Bridge mode the Online light is normally off and you can only connect one device to it because there is only the one IPv4 address available.. The WiFi should be turned off before Bridging the Frontier to prevent any WiFi devices grabbing the one available IP address. If the WiFi was left on a WiFi device could have connected to the Frontier which is why you would not have had any internet with Frontier in Bridge mode.

If you connect the Orbi router directly to the NBN NTD is the speeds still only 50 Mbps?

DTIW

Are you suggesting that I connect the Orbi directly to the NBN Black box (into the UNI-D1 port?)

i believe that is not a modem, and was relying on the Telstra Gateway modem/router as the modem…. and since the Orbi (AX4200) is a router only, it wont’ work.. i believe i tried that and could not get it to work.. 

unless i am mistaken (again)

This is the NBN Box that i have..

cf4

The Orbi can be connected directly to the UNI-D1 port of the NBN NTD. You only need a modem for a DS connection. If you have an NBN NTD you only need a router. connection. You will also need the frontier if you need a phone connection.

DTIW

Ok… that’s so strange because I’ve tried that countless of times, and it could not even find the Orbi network, and couldn’t (obviously) connect or find an internet connection. 

It’s working now after the whole afternoon trying to get it to work ! .. i could just try and pull it out of the Telstra Gateway LAN port, and then connect directly to the UNI-D1….. 

DTIW

So do you think that the Telstra Gateway is slowing this down and hence getting only 50+ MBPs ? 

DTIW

Ok I’ve done it and it works! Orbi connects directly to the NBN NTD , into the UNI-D1 port. 

Speeds have gone up slightly to 70Mbps, so thank you for that. 

This still is similar to what i was getting from Telstra gateway previously though, but i guess i can’t be too picky ?

Maybe it’s congestion and bandwidth etc that attributes to slower speeds.. ? 

jamespaul
Level 1: Cadet

Did you set up the Orbi according to page 22 off the manual?

Record Name Blank

Area Name Blank

Web IP address: Get Dynamically from Router

Area Name Server Get Automatically ISP

Macintosh Address Use default.

This should work for associations with yellow WAN port of Orbi associated straightforwardly to NBN NTD or to LAN port of boondocks.

DTIW

Yes i have done so, see screenshot.. (And still getting speeds slower on the Orbi than the Telstra Gateway)..

cf4

@DTIW 

You could try disabling QOS (Page 50 of manual).to improve the speed.

DTIW

thanks for that, i've tried disabling both, (2.4Ghz, and 5Ghz) and then disabling only one, and the result is it actually slowed it down further , running a speed test on my iPad , which was at 60Mbps and dropped down to 20Mbps. 

this is slightly disappointing as i bought the Orbi hoping to get faster speeds, but now it seems that the telstra gateway frontier delivered similar if not better speeds. 

is there something else that i'm missing that would get this to faster speeds ? 

cf4

What is the speed when connect to a LAN port on the Orbi?

DTIW

I just tested this on a laptop; 

Wireless: 27 Mbps

LAN (with wifi disconnected), 29Mbps

cf4

Was this with QOS off or on?

What program are you using for speed test? Are you testing using the nearest Telstra server?

Is IPv6 working. IPv6 can be tested at site below.

IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test (ipv6-test.com)

DTIW

With QOS off: approx 17 Mbps, 

With QOS on: approx 36 Mbps

using speedtest.net to test on a up to date laptop. .. i've also used the Orbi app, and getting slightly better on it (using an iPhone 12 pro)

cf4

Have you checked the Orbi has the latest firmware? Those speeds are very low for a 100/40 connection especially the upload speed.

DTIW

Thank you for the reply. 

Yes, using the Orbi app, I’ve checked that I’m on the latest firmware. 

Could this be a Telstra NBN problem ? (Although I’m on the fastest Telstra nbn speed plan) ? 

I do have around 40 devices connected though (eg smart lights and speakers), so I’m not sure if that is something that would reduce the speeds down to what is an average of 37 Mbps 

DTIW

I’ve tested a LAN connection from my laptop directly to the NBN NTD. The speeds i got there are 65Mbps. 

So this could be a problem with the router, as the router is giving me around half of that speeds. 

Also I’m on the Telstra Premium plan (i think the top is 100Mbps), i think there is a new ‘Superfast’ premium plan, not sure if is what i need to get faster speeds… ? 

cf4

Weren't you getting 90 Mbps when using the Telstra Gateway Frontier? It looks like the main factor causing the lower speed is the orbi. The Superfast premium should theoretically give you 215 Mbps compared to 100 Mbps on the Premium Speed boost but if the Orbi is throttling the speed the speed from Orbi might still be lower than 90 Mbps.

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - do you also have an Orbi Satellite wirelessly connected to the Orbi Router with Ethernet or Wi-Fi Backhaul or just the Orbi Router?

The early versions of 802.11ax routers on the market today are low cost entry units in order to make them affordable for people to buy e.g. 2x2 MU-MIMO. Heavier duty units can be under or over $1,000. Today's 802.11 ax routers are being somewhat overhyped and marketed as faster than their 802.11ac predecessors and may be the case for 802.11ax native devices only however, for current offerings it may not be the case as it is the device's Wi-Fi chip (1x1 or 2x2 SU-MIMO or MU-MIMO) that determines what speed outcome you will enjoy. The AX standard is the natural evolution of Wi-Fi, is backwards compatible and may deliver marginal increases of speed for compatible devices but its real benefit is its traffic handling capability for overloaded networks, more efficient bandwidth allocation and ability to operate in both bands simultaneously on the one radio chip instead of the two radio chips required for 802.11 and 802.11ac - potential saving for vendors.

Given the number of devices you have and their purpose, I assume that the majority of your devices would not be AX native, so they will continue to operate under the same conditions as previously however in this particular case their available bandwidth is less. The iPhone 12 Pro is native 802.11 ax compatible and will take advantage of its higher capabilities. 

Datasheet specs for the Orbi RBR750 - supports 802.11n (600Mbps) + 802.11.ac (1200 Mbps) and 802.11ax (2400 Mbps) = AX 4200 Mbps with a 2x 2 MU-MIMO. So the combined bandwidth theoretically available for your 802.11 n/ac devices = 1800 Mbps.

Technicolor DJA2130 - 802.11 n has a 3x3 MU-MIMO and the 802.11ac has a 4x4 MU-MIMO. Bandwidth specifications from web posts vary, so I am not sure which is accurate - some reviewers state its combined capabilities as  AC 3100 ( don't know mix) and others state it to be a AC2600 (300n+2300ac) - either spec is greater than the Orbi 1800 Mbps.

All these figures are theoretical marketing figures and do not reflect real world environments but the concept of maximum bandwidth available is good to understand and may contribute to understanding individual results in home. 

Being on HFC, I would expect your devices to achieve greater speeds than what you are experiencing but if it is connected to the Satellite, then excluding any issue with the NBN, possibly feasible. 

cf4

The Telstra Gateway Frontier has the following WiFi specs (AC1950)

IEEE 802.11n 2.4 GHz (b11,g54, N217)
IEEE 802.11ac 5 GHz (a54, N600, AC1733)

The Smart Modem has the following WiFi specs (AC1750)

IEEE 802.11n 2.4 GHz (b11, g54, N195)
IEEE 802.11ac 5 GHz (a54, N540, AC1560)

The Smart Modem Gen 2 has the following WiFi specs (AC2100)

IEEE 802.11n 2.4 GHz  (b11, g54, N450)
IEEE 802.11ac 5 GHz (a54, N600, AC 1733)

These readings were reported by the Analiti Android app.

DTIW

The satellite is connected to the router wirelessly. Are you suggesting that if i were to connect via Ethernet, the speeds could be better ? 

Yes i had 90Mbps before, but then it seems very erratic, and every test yields different results. 

I was on the call with Telstra technical support, and they asked me to reset-pin the NBN ntd, that seemed to get me a higher speed, when i connected the NBN NTD directly via LAN to a laptop and i got speeds of around 80Mbps. 

But then wirelessly, back again through the Orbi, I’m seeing 20 Mbps odd. 

cf4

What speed are you getting on the LAN port of the Orbi router?

Mkrtich

Yes - the Ethernet back haul connection between the Satellite and the Router will be operating at 1000 Mbps - nothing else can match that, so it is the best solution. I don't know what band is being used by the Orbi Satellite for its backhaul to the router - 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz. In Wi-Fi Backhaul applications, the Satellite front haul is used to Input connections from wireless devices to it and then acts as a repeater to Output connections over Wi-Fi back to the Router - resulting in the original throughput of the device to the Satellite being halved.

Some 802.11 ac remote Boosters/Extenders have three radios, one 5 Ghz band exclusively used as a dedicated backhaul or an ability to define which band is to be used for backhaul 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz. Given the wireless speeds you are encountering, it may be that the 2.4Ghz is being used for backhaul on the Orbi Satellite.

@cf4 - that's interesting and thanks for the information. The Telstra V7610 modem  and the newer Optus modems show you the native theoretical maximum capable speeds of both bands on their respective Wi-Fi pages but Gen 1 and Gen 2 modems don't and assume also the DJN2130. I wonder how the Analiti extracts that information from these modems above as it is hidden but the modems do display the active or actual speed experience of the device that varies all the time during sampling e.g. like the Wi-Fi Analyser/Client Monitoring feature of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Technicolor modems.

I initially thought maybe the Analiti App identifies the Broadcom radio chips inside and uses that data to identify the maximum theoretical speeds from published Broadcom data but I have found when previously looking on Broadcom web pages, the following

BCM 4360 used for 802.11n = 1.3 Gbps (Approx 1300 Mbps)

BCM4366 used for 802.11ac = 5.4 Gbps but that is using 3 x BCM4366 radios, so 1.8 Gbps each (approx 1800 Mbps)

Adding them together gives you and product box marketing AC title of 1300+1800 = 3100 Mbps, so not really sure what it is as allegedly all three modems Technicolor modems have the same Wi-Fi chips but acknowledge they may be governed by software that define specific Wi-Fi parameters like MCS, GI and Modulations used. Haven't taken apart a DJA0230 or DJN2130 to verify.  

cf4

@Mkrtich These are the Analiti results for the Telstra Gateway Pro.

b11, g54, N450

a54, N600 AC1733

I assume the WiFi chip in the Android devices communicates with WiFi chip in modem about WiFi capabilities and passes information on to app

DTIW

20Mbps out of LAN port of Orbi, 17Mbps on Wifi from Orbi. 

Getting quite ridiculous, I’ve called Telstra, who is going to send an NBN technician to see if they can work Out what’s wrong - as it could be a case of dropping out connection etc, as the speeds not consistent, they will range from around 15Mbps to 60Mbps at best 

cf4

To check whether the speed issues are due to NBN link or the Orbi you could reconnect the Telstra Gateway Frontier to the NBN NTD and set up the Orbi router in access point mode connected to LAN port of Frontier. (Page 72 of manual). Then compare speed between orbi and a LAN port on Telstra Gateway Frontier.

Mkrtich

Thanks - that Analiti App may be correct. Looking at the V7610 in default Telstra, on mine it displays both bands on Auto Channel selection by the modem - only one old iPad linked to modem.

Capabilities displayed

2.4 Ghz - on default - Up to 289 Mbps with only one Channel selected, Ch 11 - no bonded channel which would otherwise give a higher reading - drop down box shows 600 Mbps maximum option to select. 

5Ghz - 2167 Mbps - [Channels 36+40(p) +44+48] - drop down reveals that is the maximum 

@DTIW I had a look at the User Manual specs and was surprised to read that the Satellite has three radios, one dedicated 802.11ax radio (No 3) as Backhaul to the Router which also has the same number of radios and function. I assume the 6 Antennae apply to each unit divided up into pairs for each radio for a 2X2 MU-MIMO per radio.

It is an very impressive product - I didn't realise each unit had three 802.11AX radios and its full credentials when I wrote my initial posts - it is a high end solution. Please let us know if the Ethernet backhaul works better. 

Mkrtich

@DTIW - the Orbi Router and the Orbi Satellite are supposed to be pre-synched out of box. If you haven't done so to date, perhaps manually resynching the Satellite in case there is a connection issue between the two causing slowdown.

I found the correct WI-Fi specs for this Orbi on the web which show how the bands are allocated to their respective spatial streams, so my assumption in the last post was wrong. In each unit, the 5GHz band appears to be split into two, the lower Tier 1 channels only being available to clients only and the higher Tier 2 channels reserved for the Backhaul. I haven't been able to identify the chipsets - Netgear used Qualcomm in the 802.11ac version ( Wi-Fi 5) of the Orbi Router and Satellite Combo. The RBR750 Wi-Fi Backhaul should be performing better than it currently does - is it close or far away from the Router.

DTIW

Thank you all for such valuable information/support. 

NBN technician came today, and did some adjustments outside the house. Told me that the connection was old and corroded, and changed it to newer cables. Ran some more tests and said that’s all NBN can do for me. 

I rebooted everything and tested speeds again, but unfortunately I’m still only getting 37Mbps.. 

the NBN tech told me that i should not use 2.4Ghz, and only 5Ghz. I disabled 2.4Ghz, using the orbilogin.com , but on 5Ghz only I’m still getting poor speeds (ie. no improvements) 

Thanks for your advice, I’m going to try two things.

(1) sync the router/satellite - although i my devices are connected to the router, as the satellite is further away from my devices. 

(2) cable an Ethernet cable from router to satellite - hoping that this would make a difference. 

Mkrtich

Hi - the recommendations in (1) and (2) above would only be applicable if your devices were connected to the Satellite. I didn't realise most of your testing was through the Router, so I would not expect these actions to improve matters. The current Orbi firmware was supposed to fix issues with incorrect speed test results, I assume in their App.  

From my experience when the NBN technician came to my home to change the service from Telstra HFC to NBN HFC, he replaced the coax plug in the wall socket, the coax plug in junction box on the side of home and the coax plug termination for the lead in coax in the street pit. He then did some tests with his machine in my study and was happy with the quality of the signal measurements. We then did speed tests which were near to my 50/20 service.  

The Orbi App graph appears to show a 50/20 service starting 5th August - have you been on the 100/20 service for a period before then. Did the NBN tech do speed tests with his phone or instrument to prove the service is operating within 100/20 spec?  Disabling one Wi-Fi band for testing purposes is OK, however I don't see why it should be disabled for daily usage. That effectively halves your network capacity and not a good idea for the Orbi. Generally users are encouraged to use the 5Ghz band where their device is dual band compatible - some older devices have low cost Wi-Fi adapters that do not generate high speeds in 5Ghz mode particularly if Bandsteering is employed in the Router.

Have you spoken to Netgear support in case there is an issue with your Orbi to see if they can replace it under warranty or make a call on returning it for a refund. 

DTIW

Yes i have been on 100Mbps since day one of signing up for NBN. 

The speeds on the Orbi are unacceptable, and perhaps you're right that i have to speak to a Netgear support , but i doubt this would be an issue as i'm not really getting the speeds on the Telstra modem / router in the first place) . 

Speedtest this morning 

Orbi: 9.4Mbps 
Telstra Modem Router: 9.54Mbps 

Laptop via ethernet directly to NBN NTD: 85Mbps 

Turned Orbi off and on : 39Mbps. 

I was even thinking if i should leave Telstra (as i'm just very frustrated with the whole thing) and then just join any others (like Superloop ? Aussie Broadband) , but today's speeds anyway seem to be ok directly out from the NBN NTD to the Laptop. Perhaps i could just try Telstra superfast plan (i'm on Premium)  ?

Mkrtich

Apologies for late reply, I have been out all day. It's a hard call. You have invested in the Orbi and for unexplained reasons it hasn't worked out, easiest call may be a refund process. The Frontier should be performing according to its specifications and is not. The NBN Link seems near to spec with a directly connected PC and I can't see ho going up to the next tier will resolve the problem if it due to both existing modems..

Have you considered acquiring a new Telstra Gen 2 modem for testing - both model versions are available on Gumtree as new and unused for around $50. That way you will prove what is at fault. It doesn't make sense to me that your WAN link is throttled by going through either of the existing modems. Telstra offerings are currently limited to Wi-Fi 5 modems and Wi-Fi Boosters, however their free additional after the first Booster Wi-Fi guarantee is worth looking at. 

DTIW

Interestingly, Telstra sent me their Gen 2 modem this morning . 

So I’m testing this out now, with very few other devices connected to the wifi. 

On the Orbi, I’m getting 55.3Mbps. 

The Gen 2 Telstra modem got to 36.5 Mbps. 

Just clarifying my point earlier - My current “premium” plan is with Telstra, and I’m paying for the 100 Mbps (capped at 100Mbps) . there is a super fast tier with Telstra that should get open it up to 200Mbps., which was what I’m considering if that means i could then sit comfortably at around 120Mbps or so based on the current performance I’m getting. 

Mkrtich

Good to see Telstra doing the right thing. So nothing appears to have improved from earlier circumstances - the outcome hints at a 2.4 GHz connection only working. If these speeds are being experienced from a Windows PC, can you check your link speeds from the PC to modem by using this CMD command line -

netsh wlan show interfaces  and Enter. [spaces between words]

For the Gen 2 Modem and the Orbi Router 

1[a] Disable Band Steering in the Gen 2 Modem on the 2.4Ghz screen and SAVE - BTW what Gen 2 model and firmware is it?

1[b] Disable Band Steering in the Orbi Router, if possible and SAVE 

2. Link to the 2.4Ghz and then enter the CMD line

3. Link to the 5 Ghz and then enter the CMD line

In the detail of the CMD output screen - this is is an example from a 2.4Ghz linked connection.

You will see link details e.g.

Channel : 11

Receive rate (Mbps) 600  [ what the Wi-Fi adpater is receiving from the modem]

Transmit rate (Mbps) 65  [adapter to modem speed]

Signal : 100%

Does the information shown on the CMD screens for both Receive and Transmit statistics match your speedtest.net results and the individual band capabilities which were verified in previous posts by @cf4  and the Wi-Fi Orbi spec sheet for each band?

Strange things happen with PCs - for two years since I have been on the NBN, my low cost HP Netbook could only reach under 30 Mbps via a LAN link to the Arcadyan Modem on a 50/20 Mbps service whilst all other more modern devices on our home network were hitting between 48 Mbps and in the last year 55 Mbps. Last month the HP Netbook magically increased its speedtest.net results with a 48 Mbps connection - HP or Microsoft may have updated some drivers or newer updates to Win 10 20H2 may have cleaned up matters. 

cf4

Can not predict whether you will get an increase to 120 Mbps if you go to the 200 Mbps speed boost.

If you are getting 100 Mbps when connected directly to NBN NTD you should be getting close to this speed when connected to Telstra modem or Orbi. Something else is limiting the speed before paying for a speed boost it would be better to find out what is causing the reduced speed.

DTIW

Yes, i agree, i think there is something stopping me from connecting to the 5Ghz. 

Here's what i got from a PC connected wirelessly to the Orbi router.

Name : Wi-Fi
Description : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
GUID : cccbe743-e93d-41bd-bee7-a9b62bfbd941
Physical address : f8:ac:65:a9:b1:72
State : connected
SSID : ORBI78
BSSID : 38:94:ed:48:33:c8
Network type : Infrastructure
Radio type : 802.11ax
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Cipher : CCMP
Connection mode : Auto Connect
Channel : 40
Receive rate (Mbps) : 1201
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 1201
Signal : 94%
Profile : ORBI78

Hosted network status : Not available

The speeds above indicated 1201Mbps, which do not match what i'm seeing from speedtest.net. 

I am only getting 16.2 Mbps testing it this morning on speedtest.net. (but on the netgear router orbi setup page, under speed test, i'm getting 62.89Mbps!)

How would i go about to connect only to the 5Ghz, on the Orbi/Gen2 Telstra ? and not on 2.4Ghz ? (sorry, are these the instructions to do so ? - how do i go about to disable band steering on the Orbi router?) 

I have gone into Orbi settings, Basic-Wireless, and unticked the "enable 2.4Ghz" option, leaving "5Ghz", resulting a speedtest.net of 11.7Mbps, and on the Orbi setup page, 50.87Mbps. 

1[a] Disable Band Steering in the Gen 2 Modem on the 2.4Ghz screen and SAVE - BTW what Gen 2 model and firmware is it?

2. Link to the 2.4Ghz and then enter the CMD line

3. Link to the 5 Ghz and then enter the CMD line

thank you !

Mkrtich

Great result for link to Orbi - you are using its front haul 5Ghz band for that as it shows the Lower Band Channel 40 is being engaged for that result. Will do some research tonight regarding band steering and possible throttling between the Orbi and the Gen 2. What about the link connection tests direct to the two bands of the Telstra Gen 2 modem.

DTIW

Thank you for all your help. 

The Orbi speeds are erratic, but disabling the 2.4Ghz in the Orbi settings, at times, i'm able to get up to 80Mbps plus on speedtest.net (then at other times 30+ Mbps, this could be due to traffic?)

I will try and test the Telstra Gen 2 modem (when my kids are off the internet after their remote learning at home). 

But the gen 2 modem is a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 with voice backup, Model: DJA0231. I will try and go into the settings and disable the band steering

2. Link to the 2.4Ghz and then enter the CMD line -  

3. Link to the 5 Ghz and then enter the CMD line - 

in your instructions, you said to "Link to the 2.4Ghz and enter the CMD line">

I hope i'm getting this right, but on the Orbi, i've disabled the 2.4Ghz, and entered the CMD line, and i'm getting this: 

Name : Wi-Fi
Description : Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
GUID : cccbe743-e93d-41bd-bee7-a9b62bfbd941
Physical address : f8:ac:65:a9:b1:72
State : connected
SSID : ORBI78
BSSID : 38:94:ed:48:33:c8
Network type : Infrastructure
Radio type : 802.11ax
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Cipher : CCMP
Connection mode : Auto Connect
Channel : 40
Receive rate (Mbps) : 1201
Transmit rate (Mbps) : 1201
Signal : 94%
Profile : ORBI78

Hosted network status : Not available

cf4

Now we know the reason for the slow. I didn't realize before that others were using the network while you were performing a speed test. Changing to higher speed plan will increase your average speed but speed will still vary depending on the how many other devices are trying to download data at the same time.

Mkrtich

Hi - Traffic load on Wi-Fi networks can compromise individual experience but it may not explain 20 Mbps on a LAN port - unsure, as we don't know what load is being presented to the DJA0231. Netgear claim the Orbi can handle 40 devices - they must have made a call on how those devices are allocated bandwidth as you will see below. Your situation is an interesting case. 

What is great about Wi-Fi is that all vendors have to comply to International Standards and your printouts provide some evidence of what is going on and why the user experience varies. I assume your PC adapter supports 802.11ax native.

The setting you edited in the Orbi 2.4 Ghz radio maybe only impact the 802.11n standard radio and not the 802.11ax 2.4 Ghz radio as your second printout still shows Channel 40. Looking at the result of 1201 Mbps reveals that PC is hogging most of the available bandwith to the Orbi but reaches a bottleneck when it hits the link to the DJA0231 modem as @cf4  has indicated above. I agree with his comment about a higher speed plan not changing matters.  

The URLs at the end of this post can give you an understanding of the result. To achieve 1201 Mbps bothways  which is the highest speed on an 802.11ax router, the link is driving under is summarised and called an MCS 11 structure - using highest 1024 QAM  modulation technique, a sampling coding scheme of 5/6 (83.3%), an 800ns Guard Index and 160 Mhz of bandwidth; the sum of all the  8 x 20 Mhz UNII-1+UNII-2 channels leaving the rest for allocation to the other devices. The Orbi can allocate 20/40/80/160 Mhz, so when the device gets 160Mhz, in the 802.11ac world, it robs other devices from using that segment effectively reducing the available band to others  - the higher the bandwidth being used, the less for others to use. If you have a CMD result on any Wi-Fi network, you can determine what is being deployed to achieve it. 

This Ubiquity URL shows you how channel occupancy reduces as you add successive extension channel segments in additional steps of 20, 40 and 80 Mhz to get to 160 Mhz. In 802.11ax, I think it uses a slightly different scheme but the concepts are the same - I won't depict it here to simplify the Reply. 

https://community.ui.com/questions/5GHz-channel-planning/897b93f7-c0c0-4f00-a718-049ea3d3d79e 

Recommendations:

1. If possible in the Orbi, restrict bandwidth allocation to a max of 20 Mhz in all types - 802.11n, 802,11ac, 802.11ax and see if it provides better outcomes for all parties. If more devices upgrade their speeds, change it to 40 Mbps max and see what happens.  Don't allow 80 Mhz or 160 Mhz connections in 802.11 ac or 802.11ax if possible. 

2. Same for the Technicolor DJA0231 - ensure you SAVE settings. I am not sure if Telstra's Remote AI Agent, the Wi-Fi Doctor will reset it back to respective default settings for the 802.11n and 802.11ac bands - I have read posts where that happened on the Arcadyan Gen 2 modem. 

3. Don't disconnect any 2.4 Ghz band as your IOT devices will be using them. The Orbi has three radios but one of the 5Ghz is reserved for the backhaul only using Higher UNII-2 Extended and UNII-3 Channels. Excluding your DJA0231 Wi-Fi Network*, if you knock out the Orbi  2.4Ghz channel radio, it leaves only one Orbi 5Ghz radio for your total home network using UNII-1 and UNII-2.

* not sure if this is ON or OFF. 

802.11ax coding schemes and resultant speeds : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_6 

802.11ac coding schemes and resultant speeds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac-2013 

[802.11b/g/n/a are incorporated within the table but you can Google Wikipedia to get their respective individual tables as well] 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more