Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Nokia 2.3 wi fi connection issues

Answered

Further to yesterday’s posts about  Nokia 2.3 to Telstra Technicolor DJA0231 Smart Modem wi fi issues. Tried today and changed modem settings DISABLED Band Steering on 2.4ghz band which meant it displayed   5G after network wifi name. My iPad and Samsung S 8 were able to reconnect to wifi automatically on this setting . My Nokia would not even recognise wifi name in either 2.4 or 5 ghz band . So Enabled band steering again. Still no recognition of wi fi network from the Nokia wifi search . The devices connected on modem display showed iPad and Samsung S8 having a green 

connection light. Maybe 2.4 ghz band is not functioning correctly as cf4 suggested or a modem issue.

Have done Nokia resets as suggested by them including caches and storage  and anything they suggested. Thanks to any advice.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Nokia 2.3 wi fi connection issues

The fact that the iPad and S8 could only see the WiFi with -5G added and connected to that WiFi indicates modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. Modem should be replaced by Telstra under warranty.

The Nokia will only be able to connect to S8 hot spot if hot spot is enabled on the S8 and hot spot is turned off on the nokia. WiFi has to be enabled on Nokia. The fact that the iPad saw the Nokia's hotspot indicates Wifi on Nokia is okay.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Yes I would contact Telstra and tell them the 2.4 GHz WiFi band is faulty. They might tell you that they have ran test and everything looks fine, but there are no remote test they can do to check that the 2.4 GHz WiFi is transmitting. Explain to them the nokia only supports the 2.4 GHz WiFi and because modem's 2.4 Ghz is faulty it can't see or connect to the modem's WiFi. All your other WiFi device are dual band and can only see the 5 Ghz WiFi with band steering off and will only connect to modem's 5 GHz WiFi.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

When you disabled band steering were the S8 and iPad able to see two WiFi networks from the modemmodem, one with the normal WiFi name and the other with -5G added in the list of available WiFi networks? Were they connected to the one with -5G or did they connect?

If turn on WiFi hotspot on the S8 is the Nokia able to connect to S8's hotspot?

Highlighted

No . They only saw 5G band and connected to that. So on wifi search iPad and S8 saw only 5G band.

When I turned on wifi hotspot on both phones iPad saw android AP and Nokia 2.3 .

Nokia doesn’t want to connect to S8 hotspot . 

A bit of a novice as far as this technology is concerned with modems etc . Just trying to get to cause of problems. Thanks 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The fact that the iPad and S8 could only see the WiFi with -5G added and connected to that WiFi indicates modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. Modem should be replaced by Telstra under warranty.

The Nokia will only be able to connect to S8 hot spot if hot spot is enabled on the S8 and hot spot is turned off on the nokia. WiFi has to be enabled on Nokia. The fact that the iPad saw the Nokia's hotspot indicates Wifi on Nokia is okay.

Highlighted

Thanks cf4 . So with mobile hotspot ON in the Samsung and OFF in the Nokia the Nokia wifi has picked up the android AP in search. But of course Nokia  has picked up all these Telstra and Optus networks including Telstra Air and Fon wifi etc quite a number. All EXCEPT the one I want MINE . Ours is a stand alone residence so these network modems are further away than ours which is basically in next room . My understanding is that the Nokia will only recognise the 2.4 ghz band and doesn’t show on the 5 ghz band. So contact Telstra is my next step is that right .

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Yes I would contact Telstra and tell them the 2.4 GHz WiFi band is faulty. They might tell you that they have ran test and everything looks fine, but there are no remote test they can do to check that the 2.4 GHz WiFi is transmitting. Explain to them the nokia only supports the 2.4 GHz WiFi and because modem's 2.4 Ghz is faulty it can't see or connect to the modem's WiFi. All your other WiFi device are dual band and can only see the 5 Ghz WiFi with band steering off and will only connect to modem's 5 GHz WiFi.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more