Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Old Modems

Everytime we upgrade we get sent the latest Modem, do you take back the old ones or should I send them to ewaste?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Old Modems

hi KRH

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy 

We don't at this point in time offer a recycling service for the modems, however it is a great idea, I feel there are many of them in the bottom of cupboards around the country.

As you have mentioned, probably your ewaste or local Council Recycler would be the best option to have these removed.

-    Lindy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thank you KRH for your posting I have the same matter to raise.

Yep, Come on telstra if companies can take away your old bed, Telstra can take away old modems!

Cheers

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi pprodactor,

Any recycling program that takes batteries and other electrical devices can take the modem.

There are many of these type of options.

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

In many countries in Central and Northern Europe, suppliers are required to accept superceded and returned hardware for recycling.  This has got to be a good thing.  As I understand it, the superceded NetGear Gateway that we seek to return and recycle doesn't belong to us... it belongs to Telstra?  I'd like to return it to you for recycling.  Can I do this at the major Telstra shops?

Cheers

reynolds3122

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi reynolds3122,

Your modem is yours to keep when signed up for an internet service. We do not accept these instore for recycling however, please check with  your local council for electronic recycling options.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Okay, so it looks like we just send old modems to the "Elephant's Graveyard" or contact the local council about electronics recyling. 

I was hoping someone could still use the the old modem for their broadband connection. 

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

I gave my 802.11g modem to the senior lady next door whose old mushy modem fell off the table and gave up the ghost.

She does not use wi-fi so I kept it disabled. It worked for her iinet connection, thank you Telstra for not locking the modems.

In essence, it gave her a value of $100 or more but we're friends so no bill Smiley Happy

($50 modem + $50 onsite install)

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more