hellojohnbuck
Level 1: Cadet

OpenDNS, Smart Modem 2.

It seems to be tango dance to change the DNS settings on the Arcadyan Smart Modem 2.

I wonder if anyone can help me understand the process or sequence.

The option is there to select a diff provider to Telstra - and I am trialling OpenDNS, so I choose that for IPv4 (OpenDNS tell me they don't support IpV6) so I switch that off.

I make the changes re-boot the modem, and for 10-15 seconds (during the re-boot phase) OpenDNS works - acc to their status app but then it stops. I assume it works before Telstra assign a new IP address?

My IP address matches the one I am choosing to manage in OpenDNS. But OpenDNS settings (say - block YouTube) don't work. The status is 'No'

When I look at the DHCP connection info on the Smart Modem for IPv4 it shows Telstra's IPv4 Gateway settings not the ones I set for OpenDNS.

Any thoughts?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: OpenDNS, Smart Modem 2.

Open DNS works Okay on my LH1000. I left IPV6 enabled in modem and changed both IPv4 and IPv6 DNS in modem to Open DNS. There is no need to reboot modem, just disconnect and reconnect your device.

The DNS settings in the modem's Broadband / Internet page don't change only the settings in the modem's Advanced > Local Network > Local Network and Advanced > Local Network > Local Network -IPv6 DNS settings are changed to Open DNS. When you reconnect your device these DNS settings are set in your Device and override the Telstra  DNS settings.

Did you save the settings.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

I am trying to understand what you are trying to do?

Where are you changing the DNS setting? In the Advanced, Local Network page? And are you SAVING the setting once you change it?  You might need to scroll down to see that.  I thought all that was just preset options?

Where are doing this - "My IP address matches the one I am choosing to manage in OpenDNS"?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
realevilcougar
Level 2: Rookie

You can only configure DNS settings on the Local Area Network (LAN) side of your Arcadyan Smart Modem 2.

You can not change the DNS settings your Arcadyan Smart Modem 2 itself uses. The DHCP info you mentioned is served on the Wide Area Network (WAN) side from a DHCP server Telstra manages.

You can change the DNS settings for your devices (eg PC running MS Windows etc) in your LAN only, served from the built in DHCP server on your Arcadyan Smart Modem 2.

To see what the DHCP settings are on the LAN, look in two places

- on your Arcadyan Smart Modem 2 (LAN) Advanced -> Local Network

- on your devices connected to your LAN

If you change the DNS settings for you LAN, in Arcadyan Smart Modem 2, you will need to restart your devices for them to receive the updated DNS settings or wait for the DHCP lease time to expire, default is 24 hours.

hellojohnbuck
Level 1: Cadet

thanks for this.

Chief_Java
Level 2: Rookie

Just to add to the previous posts, OpenDNS definitely does support IPv6, I have been using them for my personal and professional DNS needs for many years. 

ACroker
Support Team
Support Team

Hi, I can see you're getting some great advice in here on how to sort these DNS settings out. If you're in need of any further technical or account related support, please feel free to contact us over the social channels. We'll be happy to assist in any way we can.

- Ash

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more