Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Options for extending wifi coverage Wifi Booster vs. second router?

Answered

Hi. We have Ethernet at both ends of our house, but our current Telstra Smart Modem is at one end, and needs to be there. Can we take advantage of the Ethernet port at the other end of the house to give us better wifi there? Can a wifi booster (Telstra or otherwise) take its signal from the Ethernet port, or can it only connect to our current modem via wifi? Would it be better to buy a second router, or modem, or combined modem/router? Would it give us a much stronger wifi signal than the booster? What are the pros and cons? If there's a good answer to these questions already in the forum history, can you please point me to it? Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Options for extending wifi coverage Wifi Booster vs. second router?

The WiFi signal strength would depend on the WiFi strength of the router. If you set up the second router as an access point with the same WiFi SSID and password as the main modem devices should automatically switch to the modem or the router depending on which has the better WiFi signal.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

There would be no problem in using the Telstra Smart WiFi Booster connected by LAN as the Telstra WiFi booster can be used as WiFi access point (Connected by LAN to main router) instead of a WiFi repeater (Connected by WiFi to main router). The advantage of using the Telstra WiFi booster is its ease of setup just has to be connected to a LAN port on the main modem.

A second hand router or modem can also be used. Its main advantage is that  a second hand router with the same WiFi performance would cost less and it is easier to customize settings. The disadvantage is its not plug and play and unless it has a special setting that turns it into an WiFi access point will requires several settings to be changed in the second hand router.

Highlighted

@cf4 wrote:

A second hand router or modem can also be used. Its main advantage is that  a second hand router with the same WiFi performance would cost less and it is easier to customize settings. The disadvantage is its not plug and play and unless it has a special setting that turns it into an WiFi access point will requires several settings to be changed in the second hand router.

Thanks for your reply @cf4 - that's very helpful. Would the wifi signal strength be the same for both options (assuming we had a fairly recent second-hand router)? Also, would both the wifi booster and the second hand router allow for automatic switching from our current router/modem to the new device, or would we need to switch manually as needed? Thanks again.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The WiFi signal strength would depend on the WiFi strength of the router. If you set up the second router as an access point with the same WiFi SSID and password as the main modem devices should automatically switch to the modem or the router depending on which has the better WiFi signal.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks again @cf4 - it sounds as if either option would work well enough provided I can configure the setup properly, so I think it'll come down to cost and availability. 

Highlighted

Some routers have special access mode and it is simply a matter of selecting access mode and then setting the WiFi SSID an password. Everything else it done automatcally. On other routers that don't have this setting it requires the turning off of the LAN DHCP server and changing the LAN IP address of the modem so that it is in the same subset as the main modem.

There are plenty of second hand routers and modems on ebay and second hand shops that can be used as WiFi access points. I have seen second hand Telstra  Gen 1  modems for as little as $5 at cash convertors and Telstra Gen 2 modems from as little as $20. These have the same WiFi performance as the smart Wifi booster but don't have a special access point mode. There are instructions in section 34 of the document linked in these posts for how to use them as access points.

Telstra Smart Modem DJA0230
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-DJA0230-manual-Unofficial...

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/telstra-smart-modem-gen-2-arcadyan-version-lh...

Highlighted

Just another way to skin this cat if you are interested. I too have ethernet throughout my house (upstairs and downstairs). I purchased a TP-link Wifi Extender thinking that I would be able to push my wifi around to the dark corners of my home. It was only later that I realised that instead of acting as a wifi extender these little devices also have an access point setting. This means that you can plug them into your live ethernet port and set them to 'access point'  and bang! Your internet signal at that location is as strong as though you are sitting next to the main modem.  

A lesson for life. 'You can't beat the system'.
Highlighted

Be careful which WiFi extender you purchase as not all WiFi Extenders have a Access point setting. The Ethernet port can only be used as a LAN port.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more