KittyCatInABox
Level 3: Gumshoe

Panasonic TV and Smart Modem

Answered

Hi everyone,

I recently got the Telstra smart modem but have now lost all my channels on my Panasonic Viera TV.

Have tried re-tuning but all the channels are now saying bad signal and pictures are pixelated (like the old ABC logo before Rage started on a Saturday morning).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m not very tech savvy.

Thank you. 

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KittyCatInABox
Accepted Solution

Re: Panasonic TV and Smart Modem

I think I’m going to have to get someone in to look at antenna as I think that’s the issue. Went to JB hi-fi to buy a new antenna cable and it’s still giving me a bad signal.

I watch channels through the tv. Don’t think it’s anything to do with my modem now. Thank you any way for your help. 

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
31 REPLIES 31
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

How have you connected your Smart Modem?

The modem doesn't carry TV signals as such so does your TV still have an antenna cable plugged in to it (you might have dislodged it)?

Have you connected your TV to the Smart Modem? Did you use a cable or Wi-Fi?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
KittyCatInABox

Antenna is all plugged in. I’ve actually pulled everything out and replugged it all in today. It’s only some channels (10, 7) that seem affected. I’ve set it up using wifi

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
SteveW_52

Are you selecting those channels on the TV or some other way? Are you using apps on the TV? The Smart Modem does not carry any TV signals but the apps will need internet. Turn off and disconnect the modem then see if the TV (not the apps) will receive the signal.

If you are using the apps and they won't work, that could be the apps but more likely the internet connection. TV has an ethernet port use a cable to connect it to the modem instead of Wi-Fi and see if that works..

What sort of internet connection do you have to your modem? And what tier (speed) do you have..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
KittyCatInABox

I’m tempted to pull out my old modem and set up as I’ve had nothing but issues since the new smart modem arrived. I’ve attached the Ethernet cable and it’s not changed anything. 

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
KittyCatInABox

I’ve now lost ch10 completely. Nothing has changed except the modem. 

My coaxial cord goes from DVD player to antenna. Then I have a cord from DVD player to TV plus a HDMI cord from DVD player to TV. 

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
KittyCatInABox

Have auto tuned my TV - not sure about speed as we are on NBN.

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
KittyCatInABox

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
SteveW_52

The cable from modem to TV will only impact any TV apps - which come via the internet..

The antenna connection from the external antenna to the DVD then to the TV would  seem to be where you get the Free To Air (FTA) terrestrial tv signals from..  the modem should not have any impact on that..

What sort of cable goes from the wall socket to the modem - telephone type (flat) or co-axial (circular)?

Stevo 52
KittyCatInABox

Not sure how to fix signal strength as it seems to be an issue for Ch 9. Completely lost ch10

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
SteveW_52

OK, looks like you have an NBN HFC (Co-axial) connection (used to be Telstra/Foxel cable). But that doesn't carry the TV signal from the antenna..

There is a black antenna cable from the TV - you say that goes to the DVD player? and there is another antanna cable from the DVD to the antenna wall socket? Is that the black cable with a yellow trim on the connector, plugged in to a wall socket?

Stevo 52
KittyCatInABox

Circular one goes to the NBN. 

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
KittyCatInABox

Yes thats the one I think I might have issues with now

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
SteveW_52

From your photos, the circular cable from the NBN box is white..  but the other photo shows a wall plate with a black cable (with yellow trim)  which doesn't look like an HFC connector - more like a TV antenna socket connection?  No photos for the back of the DVD player of the NBN wall connection?

Stevo 52
KittyCatInABox

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
KittyCatInABox

My HDMI cable came out as it’s it’s not long enough for me to pull out DVD player and photograph.

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
SteveW_52

OK, take the black cable with the yellow end out of the DVD and plug it in directly to the TV and see if you get the TV channels that are missing..  I would suggest you write the cable arrangement down on a bit of paper just in case...

Stevo 52
KittyCatInABox

Ok... I’ll give that a go 👍🏻

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
KittyCatInABox

Channel 10 is back but it’s says bad signal

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
KittyCatInABox

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
SteveW_52

Are you using the Freeview app or device? or just the TV receiver channels on it's own?

Either way, I don't think the modem is causing the problem, it is possibly just co-incidental that it all happened about that time. If you have a direct connection from the TV antenna wall point to the TV then there is an antenna signal problem..

To confirm it, you could try turning the NBN box (NTD) and the Telstra modem off and disconnect it from the NBN wall socket..  there should be no change to the TV channels (unless the TV channels are coming from the internet)..

Stevo 52
KittyCatInABox

This can up when I pushed ten play  

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
KittyCatInABox

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
KittyCatInABox

And I’ve checked my network status and it says it was successful

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
SteveW_52

Right, so you are using an app to get those channels - so you can power up the modem/NTD again and see if that message on the TV goes away..  you might have to get in to the settings of the TV and make sure it is using a Wired connection and NOT Wi-Fi..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

More clues..  Smiley Happy

You might need to open the app you are using (freeview?) and see if you can scan for channels there..

I don't have these problems and use Foxtel for the commercial channels or the direct app..  not freeview, so I don't know much about that way of doing it..

Stevo 52
KittyCatInABox

Thanks Stevo... I’ve just done a factory reset to wipe all data and restarted setup but it’s all the same. Appreciate your help but I reckon it’s the antenna cord as it’s only ch 10 that seems to be having issues with. 

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
KittyCatInABox

I forgot to change the port over so Freeview and ten play work but not the actual channel (and it’s the one we watch mostly). 

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox
SteveW_52

You have two antenna cables? just swap them and see if that fixes it..  if it is an app, then the antenna cord will not affect that, that will be internet related, if it is the straight TV channels on the TV (did you try those) then the internet is not involved and it can only be the antenna cable - and you may not need to connect that via the DVD player if you use an HDMI connection..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

I'm getting confused about how you connect and what you use to watch the channels that are/were missing..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

https://www.freeview.com.au/support  might help you?

Stevo 52
KittyCatInABox
Accepted Solution

I think I’m going to have to get someone in to look at antenna as I think that’s the issue. Went to JB hi-fi to buy a new antenna cable and it’s still giving me a bad signal.

I watch channels through the tv. Don’t think it’s anything to do with my modem now. Thank you any way for your help. 

Kind regards,
KittyCatInABox

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more