tr1cky
Level 2: Rookie

Parental Controls - TG782T

I have a TG782T and would like to set up parental controls on my WIFI network. I don't mind buying a new router but I want to do the setup on the router rather than messing around with Telstra's Security offering. 

Any ideas for this please - OpenDNS doesn't work for me as I don't have access to kids' school computers

Many thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Parental Controls - TG782T

Hi Tr1cky,

As school provided laptops typically have security already installed to prevent access to undesirable sites, I believe that you are after a configuration that will allow greater control on the time that devices are able to access certain sites/programs.

Unfortunately the TG782T will not be capable of this level of control and you may need to upgrade your modem/router.

I would also suggest taking the following precautions:

Password protect the modems interface so that they cannot remotely access the modem to adjust the settings to suit themselves. Choose a password that an observant child is not likely to guess and don't record it where they can find it.

Keep the modem in a locked cupboard so that they cannot factory reset the modem, which would remove the password protection and allow them to adjust the settings. Be aware that metal can inhibit the WiFi signal.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

tr1cky
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for that Shelly

In fact the school laptops only prevent them from accessing undesirable sites at school, and I also can't use OpenDNS as this prevenmts them from accessing the school network.

I am happy to upgrade the router.. do you have any recommendations? Also I have Tbox and Foxtel

Really what I want is probably what most Telstra customers could use - proper parental controls on the router/firewall 

cameraguy
Level 1: Cadet

I have been reading this and many similar threads , regards Parental controls at router / wi fi level . You suggest a change of router but do not suggest an alternative . Can you make a suggestion please . What I , and apparently thousands of other parents , want is the ability to block certain websites ( the ones that can interupt important study periods ) on a timed basis . It seems possible to block sites and searches , and it seems possible to time limit internet access , why not a combination of the two and time limit a block on a specific site .

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Cameraguy,

Time based site blocking is not possible at the moment, but I have passed this feedback along to see if it is a feature that can be incorporated into future firmware updates on our Technicolor and Netgear modems.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

tr1cky2014
Level 1: Cadet

What you need to do is open up your modems so they can be used with eg OpenDNS

Amazing that Telstra is not really concerned with implementing decent Parental Controls - "passing the feedback along" is basically a fob off. If I had the time and energy I'd move to a better system

Cameraguy - take a look at OpenDNS as it may work in your situation. It's a simple install on any computer and gives you full control though not sure of there's a timer function (you can manually switch games on and off and filter other undesirable stuff) Doesn;t fully work for me as I need to implement it on the router

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more