Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Ping Spikes, Minor packet loss CG3100-D2

I just had my cable connection installed today, complete with a brand new CG3100-D2 modem.

I'm an internet gamer and I noticed I was getting latency spikes every couple of mins. They would only last a second or two, but it is very noticable when playing online. 

I setup two pings, one to the modem from my PC, the other to www.google.com.au, and sure enough every couple of mins I would get 2 packets that would either go missing, or the response would jump to 1200-2000ms. 

ping.png

I can trace back up through these ping statistics to find other pairs of packets timing out or jumping up to those sorts of response. Please note that the latency seems to be from my PC to the modem (not the modem external) as the external PING also increase the response time at the same time the internal ping spikes.

I am testing this from a PC connected directly to the modem via a Cat5 cable (approx 2M long). 

This is the same PC, the same network card and the same network cable I was using earlier today through a different modem (ADSL2+) without issue.

Any help or advice out there? As this is supposed to be the bees nees of internet connections, but the modem is giving me grief with the primary use of my internet: gaming. 

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Re: Ping Spikes, Minor packet loss CG3100-D2

In reply: @Tork

Couple of questions.

1. Have you ever tweaked your NIC?

2. Are you using OEM drivers?

Can you please use the online GUI to transfer those settings to your modem (including wireless), retest and post your results.

Your settings should be identical to those on the online GUI.

Looking forward to your reply Smiley Happy

Highlighted

No I have never tweaked my NIC

I am using the Realtek LAN drivers that were supplied by my motherboard manufacturer

I have updated all the settings as per the online GUI, and the issue still persists. I have also tried doing a ping to the modem from a laptop also connected via CAT5 (ie not wireless).

I have found when one gets the latency spike, the other PC also gets a spike of around the same value. In the picture below, I got 2 response spikes at the same time on both PCs (I have only included one screenshot as it seems redundant to include both).

ping2.png

Thanks,

Tork

Highlighted

Have you used the supplied 2.5A PSU that came with the modem, or have you substituted it with something else?

Can you please post a screenshot (not copy/paste) of your modem signal levels and modem even log (removing the CM MAC, but leaving the CMTS MAC intact).

Highlighted

Hi,

I have used the standard accessories as supplied with the modem. No substitutions. 

Here are the event logs:

Modem Logs.PNG

And I am not sure what screenshot you require for the signal levels, so I got you the screenshot of connection, as that is the closest thing I can find:

Modem Connection.PNG

I also tried using the diagnostics, and sending ping traffic from the modem to my PC. 

I ran a ping from my PC to the modem simultaneously.

When the PC got the latency in ping responses from the Modem, the modem did NOT receive a corresponding latency return in the pings from my PC. If that makes  sense.

Thanks for your help, this is really bugging me, and I've only had it 2 days.

Highlighted

Just to be sure (to rule out), can you please take a photo of the PSU sticker and post.

Your modem signal levels look to be ok, although your upstream is a tad low, do you have any splitters/attenuators connected to the coax?

I do not see any upstream errors in the modem event log.

Highlighted

PSU Sticker:

modem PSU.png

The coax is taken directly from the point the Telstra technician installed the other day, straight into the modem. No spillters or attenuators that I know of (certainly none inside the house). This is also the only point that was installed. 

As a point of interest I did a couple more ping tests simultaneously:

From PC (connected via LAN - 192.168.0.3) to the modem (192.168.0.1)

From PC (connected via LAN) to a laptop (connected via wireless - 192.168.0.8) 

From Laptop (connected via wireless) to the modem

From Laptop (connected via wireless) to PC (connected via LAN). 

I found when the ping response times spiked PC to modem via the LAN, I was NOT getting an equivalent spike on the laptop via wireless. I was also not getting the spike laptop to PC, and rarely got a spike PC to laptop. Not sure if this helps prove/disprove anything, but it seems to only be the LAN ports on the modem that are causing the issue.

Screenshots of Ping test from PC

from my PC LAN to modem and PC wireless.PNG

From Laptop

wireless ping.png

Highlighted

Can you please PM me, I would like to remote connect to your modem and run some tests.

Looking forward to your PM Smiley Happy

Highlighted

In reply: @The Crowd Support community & Tork

Tonight I looked at this issue, and we came to the conclusion that it was NIC drivers that were the issue.

An updated driver from 2011 to 2013 seemed to fix this spike issue.

Please make sure that you update this thread if you have any further issue's.

Highlighted

Alas, after logging in tonight, and starting up my gaming. I started getting the latency issues again.

Opened up a command prompt and did a continuous Ping to the modem, and I am getting the latency spikes again. So there is no discernable improvement. 

Smiley Frustrated

Any other ideas?

Highlighted

Can you uninstall your 3rd party anti virus, you can use MSE/Defender as I have never had any issue's with it and cable.

Make sure you reboot, test again, post your results.

Highlighted

@Extreame

Thank you, I had actually just uninstalled Avast to do some testing. That didn't make a difference. 

However it made me think what else might be having an impact. I have disabled PLEX media server. Since I have done this, I haven't had any spikes in a continuous ping I am running. Also dont seem to be having any latency in games. I'll monitor for few days and see if this trend continues. 

I'll keep this tread updated. 

Highlighted

Awesome stuff mate.

Love the way you are thinking in regards to this issue, you'll be a pro (in figuring cable issue's) soon enough Smiley Happy

Try disabling the media server on the modem, and enable PLEX again with the CG3100D-2 miniDLNA disabled, to see if this has any effect.................

This could be an interesting find.

I will be online from around 6 to 7PM tonight my time, if you would like to report (or chat about) anything to me.

Highlighted

Good thinking with the DNLA server on the modem.

However we can rule that out as an issue. I disabled the DNLA, then reactivated PLEX.

As soon as Plex was started, I was getting the latency. 

What made me think it had to be a heartbeat or something, was that I started timing the spikes in responses and found that they happened nearly exactly 50-52 seconds apart. Which indicated some sort of heartbeat was coming from somewhere and it wasn't just random. 

Might have to invest in a Media server instead of using PLEX and running off my desktop. 

Thanks for all your help Extreame. 

Highlighted

I just confirmed the same with another client, so yes it is directly an issue with PLEX.

As mentioned in that thread, I will be testing all media servers to find the best compatible one with the CG3100D-2.

So keep my blog bookmarked (may post it in the CG3100D-2 review, due to the relevancy, not sure just yet). And if you do invest in a media server, I do recommend a WD TV Live. I personally have one, and it has been great.

Happy to be able to assist Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Everyone,

I had these exact same issues which i resolved by placing the router in bridged mode(turning off NAT) and putting another router behind it which could perform the NAT instead. This resolved my lag spike issues.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more