Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Poor connection from one device on Telstra Wifi only

I have a problem with one device on my Home Telstra Wifi network, connected to the NBN. The connection through that one device is so slow as to be unusable. I have tried to troubleshoot as much as possible. Here are the facts I have deduced so far:

1) I am using a Telstra Smart Modem, Gen 2

2) The affected device is an iMac running macOS Sierra, 10.12.6

3) When I run a speed test using https://www.speedtest.net/ I get the following report "A socket error occurred during the download test. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later."

4) When I run a speed test though the google speed test, I get 45.5Mbps download and 15.7Mbps upload

4) ALSO most webpages are almost impossibly slow to load, file synchronisation software fails to connect, and in reality the internet is barely usable. The only exception are google webpages, which are fine.

5) When I use this device to connect to a different wifi network, which I set up using a wifi hotspot on my mobile device, connection is perfect and internet speeds for all sites are excellent. i.e. it is not the device per se

6) All other devices on the network (including windows computer, macbook pro, ipads and android phones) are operating normally through the telstra network, so it is also not the network!

7) I cannot manually see any difference in settings between the Macbook pro and the iMac.

Can anyone help me here????

I assume it might be a firewall issue, and that somehow google sites are avoiding the firewall, but I don't knowingly have a firewall running or antivirus software, and if I did, wouldn't it also affect the wifi network set up through my mobile? (See point 5 above).

Please can anyone shed light on this?? Telstra Technical support is basically closed at the moment! Thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Poor connection on one device

I have a problem with one device on my Home Telstra Wifi network, connected to the NBN. The connection through that one device is so slow as to be unusable. I have tried to troubleshoot as much as possible. Here are the facts I have deduced so far:

1) I am using a Telstra Smart Modem, Gen 2

2) The affected device is an iMac running macOS Sierra, 10.12.6

3) When I run a speed test using https://www.speedtest.net/ I get the following report "A socket error occurred during the download test. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later."

4) When I run a speed test though the google speed test, I get 45.5Mbps download and 15.7Mbps upload

4) ALSO most webpages are almost impossibly slow to load, file synchronisation software fails to connect, and in reality the internet is barely usable. The only exception are google webpages, which are fine.

5) When I use this device to connect to a different wifi network, which I set up using a wifi hotspot on my mobile device, connection is perfect and internet speeds for all sites are excellent. i.e. it is not the device per se

6) All other devices on the network (including windows computer, macbook pro, ipads and android phones) are operating normally through the telstra network, so it is also not the network!

7) I cannot manually see any difference in settings between the Macbook pro and the iMac.

Can anyone help me here????

I assume it might be a firewall issue, and that somehow google sites are avoiding the firewall, but I don't knowingly have a firewall running or antivirus software, and if I did, wouldn't it also affect the wifi network set up through my mobile? (See point 5 above).

Please can anyone shed light on this?? Telstra Technical support is basically closed at the moment! Thanks!

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Poor connection on one device

It might be Telstra broadband protect causing the problem. Why it might only effect the one device I don't know but I have seen this before. Suggest you change DNS settings in the modem to bypass Telstra Broadband protect.

To change settings log into modem http://192.168.0.1 (Password is Telstra), Go to Advanced > Local Network, select a non Telstra DNS for both DNS 1 and 2 and save settings. Do this for both IPv4 and IPv6. Disconnect and reconnect MAC to modem.

Highlighted

Re: Poor connection on one device

Thanks, I tried this, but unfortunately it didn't change things and I still have the same problem! Any other ideas?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more