Dipper303M
Level 2: Rookie

Poor Wifi Range Since Moving Over to NBN

Answered

I moved over to Telstra NBN (HFC) from Telstra Cable and ever since I have noticed the wifi range has reduced with the new modem (Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2). I was on the Gateway Max for Cable.

I dont have a big house at all, just a standard 3 bedroom home, single story with the modem in the middle of the house. 

The area in the lounge (back of house) is around 17m from modem. When sitting in this area I have full wifi bars on my phone but speed is terrible (I didn't experience this when connected via cable on the Gateway Max)

To give some context....speedtest at said point 11.3mbps (11am) and 0.31mbps (8pm) vs 53.26mbps right next to modem.

I called telstra to understand the specs on the modem in what range the modem has over the 2 frequencies however he couldn't find that information.

They boast - 

• Dual band capability (2.4GHz and 5GHz)

Is this normal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Poor Wifi Range Since Moving Over to NBN

It is usually better to turn band steering off and select which band you want to connect with, that way it will stay on that.

With band steering on, your devices will range between the two bands, depending on a number of factors..

It seems though, based on your tests with band steering off, that you have a problem with the 2.4 GHz radio. This is not an uncommon occurrence with the DJA0231 model. Only solution is to report it and get a replacement device. Be aware though, that others have had Telstra show a reluctance to replace the modem, because it is '50% working' (which is a BS approach from any customer support!!).

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
SteveW_52

It would seem that you have Wi-Fi coverage at the point you mention, but poor throughput?

What make/model modem do you have?

What indicators are showing on the modem - front and back?

When you try to connect a device do you see just one Wi-Fi network (i.e. no second network wname the same, but with -5G added)?

What device are you getting the poor throughput (speed) on?

How many devices connect by Wi-Fi?

Do all wi-fi connected devices heve the same poor performance?

Are any devices connected by cable (ethernet), do they work better?

Stevo 52
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

It could be that the 2.4 GHz WiFi band on the modem is faulty. To check that both bands are transmitting suggest you disable band steering in modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. This adds -5G to the name of the 5GHz WiFi. If both bands are working should see two modem WiFi names, one with -5G added and the other without in the list of available WiFi networks on your phone.

If you can see both networks try connecting to each in turn and do a speed test on each.

Dipper303M

@SteveW_52 wrote:

It would seem that you have Wi-Fi coverage at the point you mention, but poor throughput? Yes

What make/model modem do you have? Smart Modem Gen 2 (Technicolor DJA0231)

What indicators are showing on the modem - front and back? Nothing on front but back of modem; Online/WAN DSL/Phone/Wifi indicators all green. Mobile Signal is orange

When you try to connect a device do you see just one Wi-Fi network (i.e. no second network wname the same, but with -5G added)? Just 1 WIFI name

What device are you getting the poor throughput (speed) on? iPhone X. My wife also has an X and has the same issues

How many devices connect by Wi-Fi? As in actively connected when tests or slowness is seen - 2 devices (phone).

Do all wi-fi connected devices heve the same poor performance? Yes

Are any devices connected by cable (ethernet), do they work better? Netflix connected via ethernet is in the same room as issue experienced and no issues (may be around 5m closer to the modem)

Answers in bold above - thanks

Dipper303M

@cf4 wrote:

If you can see both networks try connecting to each in turn and do a speed test on each.

Thanks for the advice - I will try that tonight when its typically 10x slower and see how it goes

Dipper303M

@Dipper303M wrote:

@cf4 wrote:

Thanks for the advice - I will try that tonight when its typically 10x slower and see how it goes

ok so I just did this - couldn't be bothered waiting.

Disabled band steering, went in the same area of the dead spots and got the following results....

5G - 40.5Mpbs

2.4 - 0.44Mpbs

I then turned band steering back on and what do you know - same crappy speeds 0.51Mpbs.

Can anyone explain what is happening? It's like the connection is reverting to 2.4 but in reality it should be 5G based on the good speeds I am getting when I've physically connected to the 5G network.

SteveW_52

Did you SAVE after changing each of the settings?

Do you have the guest networks enabled?

Stevo 52
Dipper303M

@SteveW_52 wrote:

Did you SAVE after changing each of the settings?

Do you have the guest networks enabled?

Yes & No

Looks like I just needed to wait a bit longer for it to register as I showed up. 
Sorry I edited my post above with the tests after I did a few more.

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

It is usually better to turn band steering off and select which band you want to connect with, that way it will stay on that.

With band steering on, your devices will range between the two bands, depending on a number of factors..

It seems though, based on your tests with band steering off, that you have a problem with the 2.4 GHz radio. This is not an uncommon occurrence with the DJA0231 model. Only solution is to report it and get a replacement device. Be aware though, that others have had Telstra show a reluctance to replace the modem, because it is '50% working' (which is a BS approach from any customer support!!).

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

Dipper303M

@SteveW_52 wrote:

Thank you for the advice.

Its a real shame Telstra support don't tell you about this or asking you to troubleshoot the methods described above. I have spent so much time with them over the past few months and all they say is "lets restart your modem to see if that helps, can you move your modem to another place, it would be recommended you buy a wifi booster from us.

Just got on chat and getting it approved as we speak to send me a new modem. 

Thank you again, both Steve & cf4 🙂

cf4

Before replacing the modem there are a cew things you could try.

1. Select a different WiFi channel on the 2.4 GHz band incase there is interference on the channel in use.
  2. Change the bandwidth of the 2.4 GHz from auto to 20 MHz.
  3. Turn of Protected management frames (WiFi-PMF). This is a new security protocol that the Telstra Gate Max does not have. You might have a device on your network that doesn't support PMF which could be causing the low speed.
SteveW_52

Its a sad fact that the Telstra Customer Support personnel are not employed for their technical skills or troubleshooting abilities - they get more points for being able to handle multiple calls at once, follow cheat sheets and convince people to buy additional equipment. They are not well trained in the products and services that Telstra sell..  They also don't really understand the size of Australia and how not everyone can just pop into the local Telstra store...

Frustratingly though, you have to go through them to get some things done..

Stevo 52
Dipper303M

@cf4 wrote:

Before replacing the modem there are a cew things you could try.

1. Turn of Protected management frames (WiFi-PMF). This is a new security protocol that the Telstra Gate Max does not have. You might have a device on your network that doesn't support PMF which could be causing the low speed.

Do you mean on or off? I just checked mine and its defaulted to disabled already for 2.4

SteveW_52

Off/Disabled is correct to avoid PMF errors with older equipment..

Stevo 52

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more