SightScreen
Level 2: Rookie

Port Forwarding - Not working

Ever since I was forced to upgrade to the Telstra Gateway Max Modem/Router, I have not been able to successfully forward my ports for tasks like opening a server for people to join.

I recently purchased a new Orbi router with the intention of using it as the main router (not the Gateway Max) and followed all the necessary steps:

-Went to 192.168.0.1 to disable Wi-Fi, then put the Telstra Gateway Max in bridge mode.

-Waited 5 minutes

-Powered on and plugged in my Orbi Router

-Tried to forward the ports I need yet again

-Still doesn't work. Sites like "Canyouseeme" can't see the ports I've opened on the router.

I never had this problem with the old regular modem. Why is it causing problems now? It's extremely irritating.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Port Forwarding - Not working1

Have you checked that gateway max is in bridge mode? Is the WAN address on the Orbi router the same as on "Canyouseeme" or is it 192.168.0.xxx?

SightScreen

It's definitely in Bridge Mode and it's still not letting me forward my ports:

https://i.imgur.com/BCWhXw1.jpg

Top is canyouseeme.org
Next is the Orbi Status (exact same WAN IP, i just blurred it)
Next is the Gateway Max page at http://192.168.100.1/ (after you bridge it, that's what it becomes)
Bottom is the ports I've forwarded in both TCP & UDP on the Orbi.

Again, it can't be my router, because I had this exact problem on my Linksys E2000. The Gateway Max is preventing me from forwarding my ports somehow.
cf4

There are a couple of things you could try that some people claim has enabled port forwarding to work with the Telstra Gateway Max.

1. One is to set the DNS server on the device that is being port forwarded to. Example use Google as the DNS server 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  2. Set firewall of Gateway Max to low though theoretical the firewall should have no effect if Gateway is in bridge mode.
SightScreen

Still not working.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more