csmthepigeon
Level 1: Cadet

Port Forwarding Not Working!!!!

Hi, I've been trying to create a minecraft server for like 5 years, and everytime I get stopped when I have to set up port forwarding, and I got a new PC recently, so I thought I'd try it again. But no matter what I do, port forwarding never seems to work, and I know its not my PC, or my ISP for that matter, as we switched recently, so the only common factor here is our internet hardware and our modem, with is a Telstra Technicolour TG 799vac. I've done litterally everything I can, and my friend who lives up the road can do it, but I can't, so if anyone has any solutions I'd be really grateful!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Port Forwarding Not Working!!!!

So, if your friend up the road can do it, but you can't - what are all the differences between his setup and yours? try implementing the same config etc. but changing one thing at a time until it works (or doesn't work after you have made all the changes)..  does he have the same modem? the same firewall/av/security etc.  there have to be some clues there surely?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Have you checked that the ports are open on the PC by using an port checking app such as Fing on a device connected to your network? 

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

There are various threads on this forum that could possibly help you, such as this one and this too

csmthepigeon
Level 1: Cadet

How would I use Fing? And the only real difference we have is our modem.

SteveW_52

And what make/model are the two modems??  The more detail you provide, the easier it is to perhaps give you some ideas..

Fing will allow you to search for what ports are open on your PC

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4

Most of the problems with port forwarding are not due to the modem or the link but due to the ports on the device hosting the server not being open. Fing enables you to check if the ports are closed or open on the PC. If there not open on the PC then they can be opened by opening the ports in Windows firewall. Instead of using Fing the other alternative is to connect your PC to your friends modem and check if port forwarding works.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more