Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

port forwarding on gateway max 6300

I need to port forward on this device, I'm very techncially proficient and I'm confident I've done it right, but it seems it doesn't work.  Is this an across the board thing or user error?  Has anyone successfully port forwarded on a Netgear 6300 Gateway Max?  If not, is the only solution to bridge?  Are Telstra going to address this?  It seems pretty poor that a supposed top of the range router can't port forward.

Any help gratefully received!

cheers

Alan

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: port forwarding on gateway max 6300

OK just come off support.  They've admitted there are firmware issues preventing it, and they don't have an ETA for when they plan to fix it.  So I paid over $200 for a router that, well, doesn't route.  This is a known issue with ALL Telstra modems.  Apparently it's a rare occurrence (yeah) and a possible fix is to have a static IP on the LAN with IPv6 disabled.  Doesn't work for me.

The other fix suggested was to run in DMZ mode.  That's just scary if you ask me.

Anyway posted this in case anyone else was pulling their hair out.  There is no solution.  Sorry!

cheers

Alan

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi adventia,

We passed this feedback to the team that manages the modem firmware and they were successfully able to configure and utilise port forwarding on the Netgear C6300.

If you continue to experience difficulties with port forwarding, they recommend that customers try the following:

For PC’s experiencing issues with port forwarding, it would be worth ensuring that no other firewall or software is blocking the link. The gateway firewall could be doing this if it has been enabled, along with the inbuilt Windows firewall and other third party software firewalls.  

Specific to VOIP phone issues, it would be worth checking if the VOIP solution utilise multiple ports for both signalling and the upstream/downstream voice packets as they are do not always use the same ports.
There is also a feature in the modems interface which may assist. Go to 192.168.0.1, login to the page and load the Advanced menu. Under the Games and Services menu, select ALG, tick the box for SIP and then click Apply. 

I hope this helps.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Shellock,

The port forwarding tab on the gateway max 6300 shows start and end port. Is this the same as external and internal ports on most other routers?

Is it possible to route an incoming port say 192.168.0.1:50 to 192.168.0.21:80

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The start and end ports are not the same as internal and external ports.

Start and end ports refer to a range of multiple ports e.g. start port 2020 with end port 2025 would cover 6 ports. 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025. This would then manage all these ports, not just a single port.

Managing internal and external ports refer to the ability to pass data coming in from an internet (external port), to be pushed locally (internally) to a different port. E.g. data coming in on port 2020, could be pushed locally through port 2021.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Can we use different ports internally and externally? Such as forwarding 8081 externally as 80 internally? This is important as different internal devices are handling different external services. Such as 8080 for remote admin of the modem, 8081 for remote admin of the file server, 8082 for remote admin of the ftp server, ...

@Shellock wrote:

The start and end ports are not the same as internal and external ports.

Start and end ports refer to a range of multiple ports e.g. start port 2020 with end port 2025 would cover 6 ports. 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025. This would then manage all these ports, not just a single port.

Managing internal and external ports refer to the ability to pass data coming in from an internet (external port), to be pushed locally (internally) to a different port. E.g. data coming in on port 2020, could be pushed locally through port 2021.

- Shelly

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The best team to assist with this query is Telstra Platinum on 137 587. You can find out more about the services offered by Telstra Platinum here: https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/platinum

Alternatively, you can bridge the C6300 by disabling the Wi-Fi networks then NAT. This will allow you to connect a BYO router of your choice with the features that you require.

- Shelly

Highlighted

Hi Shellock,

What a bad response.  The port forwarding doesn't work for internal to external ports.  They must be the same with your router.  Why can't you just say that instead of trying to get a cash grab by having people forwarded to premium.

Port forwarding is a basic function that does not work well in the Cable modem.  I have been with Telstra for many years and because of this nonsense, I am leaving as soom as I am through my contract.  

You guys frustrate me.  

Thanks for no help

Nomad

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more