Macauley
Level 3: Gumshoe

Port forwarding Stopped working

In the past with the smart modem I have set up and used a few different ports to run servers for Minecraft and terraria and basically any game with a dedicated server download worked fine once I got them running. Coming back to play some games after having created the ports I find that all my server ports no longer work. I deleted the ports and set new ones up like I did in the past having changed but nothing will work. Has anyone had this issue and if so how have you fixed it I have tried everything i and my friend can think of to get it working and still nothing.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
30 REPLIES 30
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Port forwarding Stopped working

Does the modem stil have a IPv4 address on the WAN and is it the same address as displayed at canyouseeme?

Macauley

Yep it is, when I found the ports not working i turned on and off dynamic IP so it give me another one and tried again to no luck

cf4

Have you checked that the ports are open on the device running the server. You can do this using a port checking app such as fing installed on a device connected to the local network using the local UP address of the device?

Macauley

I have added the Minecraft port 25565 to allow connections to my firewall with no luck. I then checked my ports on my computer through cmd and it's not there. With the very mixed reviews, I don't really trust find enough to install it but I believe I did what the program does through cmd anyway and it's not appearing. I never had to do any of this in the past which has me stumped.

cf4

A computer update might have blocked the ports on the PC. Try reinstalling Minecraft.

Macauley

I allowed the port through my firewall wouldn't that unblock it anyway?

cf4

It should unblock the the port on the PC but if the server is blocked by the firewall or the server is not listening on that port the port will appear closed.

cf4

@Macauley wrote:

Yep it is, when I found the ports not working i turned on and off dynamic IP so it give me another one and tried again to no luck

Were did you turn on and of dynamic IP? I don't know of any settings in modem for this. There is a dynamic DNS setting that can be turned on and off.

Macauley

Sorry, I have a gen 2 I forgot to include that in the title. I did it in the advanced wan services. I will try and uninstall and reinstall Minecraft but its not just Minecraft I'm having issues with.

cf4

There are two versions of the Gen 2 modem. The Arcadyan and the Technicolor. Only the Technicolor has a Dynamic DNS setting and that is for setting up a dynamic DNS service. It does not effect the IP address on modem's WAN port.

With the Technicolor there are three places that port forwarding rules can be created. I prefer to use the settings located at Basic > Services > Port Forwarding. These rules use the IP address of the device. The other places were port forwarding can be set up use the MAC address. The MAC address can change which stops the port forwarding rule working. Some switches and extenders cause the MAC address to change. If you use a Telstra WiFi booster this can also cause the modem to see a incorrect MAC address.

Macauley

I have the Technicolor. I have used the basic view port forwarding in the past and it has alwase worked. I believe I have the wifi booster it come with the modem and is a 2nd box sitting next to the smart modem looking more like a standered wifi modem. I would have to assume that its the booster causing the issue as nothing else has changed. How would one go about fixing it and how do i get to my MAC settings

cf4

Try turning booster of to make sure it is the cause of the problem first.  This is what a booster looks like it should not be sitting next to smart modem.

See the source image

Macauley

Not what i thought it was so I don't have a booster it seems. Puts us back at the start with no clue on why the ports no longer work

Macauley

Sorry for the late response I got a pic of the setup I got.
Linked because the file is too big -> https://gyazo.com/637b679f4032115ef716d6592ec24edd

Macauley

To add more info because I can't edit my last reply the modem is Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231
I have also found an error on the DynDNS IPV4 only just got the error popup when I run the diagnostic tool on the modem
nslookup: can't resolve 'yourhost.example.com': Name or service not known

cf4

I noticed you have what looks like a network switch. If devices is connected to modem via the switch that might be causing the problem.

The error with dynamic DynDNS IPv4 is due to Dynamic DNS being enable but without a valid Dynamic DNS service configured.

Macauley

My pc doesn't go through the switch and is direct to the modem. I'm assuming the DynDNS IPv4 is nothing then in regards to the ports not opening

cf4

The DynDNS IPv4 error is not preventing the ports being open.

Have you run the command “ netstat -a ” to check if the ports are open on the PC?

Macauley

When i run the command my ip and the port i am trying to use is in the list but isn't established its stick on listening

cf4

If the netstat command shows the port is listening then port is open and should work.

Could you post the port forwarding rules that have been set in the modem?

Macauley

https://gyazo.com/69f874e6dbf2a357575a0b415d2f006e
This what you mean? also would having the DynDNS IPV4 disabled matter seeing as its showing an error of just keep it off

cf4

Those rules look correct. I have been doing some test on my PC and discovered that even if a port is listed as listening it does mean the port is open. It could still be closed.  Suggest you use a port scanner on another device connected to your local network to check if the ports are actually open on the PC. There are plenty of port scanner apps besides Fing.

Macauley

I ended up installing it on my phone and targeted my pc IP and only 1 port was found and it was not the one I need so I'm stumped at this point

cf4

Did you go into the app port scan settings and ensure that the ports you are using are listed. If the ports are not listed they can be added.

Macauley

I added the Minecraft port 25565 as a test and the same thing not showing up

cf4

Is the Minecraft server running on the PC? If it is try setting up a inbound rule in windows defender fire wall for the port. This video shows how to allow a port through windows firewall.

https://youtu.be/KlQFZNNQgeg?t=347

Macauley

I have tried that before but I just did it again for Minecraft and Terraria ports 25565 and 7777 added them to the possible ports on fing run the servers allowed them with the firewall then checked them still nothing.
https://gyazo.com/4b2d093d201fabd217186347d8c707ef

cf4

Do you have any third party firewall or antimalware programs that might be blocking the ports?

Macauley

no, and just to be safe I just uninstalled Malwarebytes not that I had its firewalls on anyway still nothing

Macauley

I appreciate the help anyway just seems to be one of those things that break for no apparent reason

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more