Kudo
Level 2: Rookie

Problem connecting Tuya (smart life) devices to the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Answered

I can’t get Tuya smart plugs and sensors to connect at all despite following manufacturer’s instructions and trying numerous times. It’s an NBN HFC service, Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2  Model LH1000. Other brands work OK eg sonoff and TPLink.

I have tried with band seeing off and 5ghz also off. To prove the devices I have temporally setup another access point and that works fine and connects/pair to the devices so the issue is specific to the Smart Modem Gen2

Any clues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kudo
Accepted Solution

Re: Problem connecting Tuya (smart life) devices to the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

The problem is unique to the Arcadyan LH1000. When I changed over to a Technicolor DJA0231 everything is fine. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Problem connecting Tuya (smart life) devices to the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Try turning of Wi-Fi PMF in the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi settings. This is a new WiFi security enhancement that can prevent some devices connecting.

Kudo

Thanks for your response. Wi-Fi PMF was already off so I tried wit it on then off again but still no success.

cf4

You could try changing the security mode from WPA2 PSK to WPA+WPA2 PSK.

Kudo

Thanks again but no luck using WPA+WPA2 PSK

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - do they connect to the modem when connected to the 2.4Ghz Guest Network?

Kudo

No connection on 2.4Ghz Guest either.

Kudo
Accepted Solution

The problem is unique to the Arcadyan LH1000. When I changed over to a Technicolor DJA0231 everything is fine. 

View solution in original post

ElderlyMan
Level 1: Cadet

Same issue occurring for with Tuya and Eufy 2.4ghz devices. I too have the Arcadyan modem, was this the only solution? Any follow up from support?

Kudo

You could try the suggestions from CF4 and Mkrtitch above although they didn't work for me. I was luck to have picked up the Technicolor DJA0231 Gen 2 smart modem from a charity shop.

Support - The only support I got was from here. The only other work around solution I found was to temporally setup another access point using an old wifi modem with the same SSID and password (turn off the WiFi on the Arcadyan gen 2) and connect the Tuya devices than turn back on the  the WiFi on the Arcadyan. The Tuya device should then connect straight away.

ElderlyMan
Level 1: Cadet

No luck with the other suggestions, I did try the temp access point from my phone hotspot then switching back to no avail. Just got off chat with support who rolled back my firmware version to 0.11.11r ( then proceeded to tell me it would take 24 hours to effect, which then went down to 4 after i questioned why. :s ) which is still not working. Will chase it up tomorrow with another agent, thanks for the prompt reply.

Mkrtich

Hi - thank you for your feedback as it is interesting from from two aspects. I had assumed both posts were using current 0.13.01r firmware - was that the case?

1. You have confirmed that Telstra can indeed roll back firmware, either by activating a resident back up copy from a protected memory Bank within the modem or push out a replacement firmware remotely - more likely in your case if you originally had the 0.13.01r firmware.

2. In doing so, one would think that the modem would eventually Auto Update to current firmware version either successively or by a leap frog update. Just wondering why Telstra chose the 0.11.11r firmware which is three versions out of date. Is it still on 0.11.11r?

Here are my update records

0.11.11r   on 09-07-2020

0.12.09 r  on 18-08-2020

0.12.15r   on 12-11-2020 

0.13.01r  on  28-01-2021

Kudo

Did you ever get any resolution for the problem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more