JD99
Level 1: Cadet

Problems 2.4 GHz and 5G Band on Telstra Smart Modem Technicolor DJA0230TLS

Hi, I have an AstralPool App to control my new Pool Heat Pump.

When is tried to connect, it said it didn't support the 5GHz band.

I have a Telstra Dual Band SmartModem, Technicolor DJA0230TLS, so I switched off Band Steering on the primary (2G) SSID and by doing that the 5Ghz SSID was renamed to <SSIDName>-5G.

Happy Days! On my iPad, I disconnected from the SSID and reconnected to the same SSID (which is the 2.4Ghz one on the modem). I tried the App and it still said that I was trying to attach to a 5G network. I rebooted the SmartModem and the iPad with no success.

It's probably the App, but, other than what I've done, is there any setting in the modem that I could try to get the App working.

Regards,

John

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Problems 2.4 GHz and 5G Band on Telstra Smart Modem Technicolor DJA0230TLS

If the setting is present, you might need to also disable Protectred Mode Frames (PMF) for the 2.4 GHz band in the modem (the same setting might exist for 5 GHz band also)..  some Wi-Fi devices don't play nicely with PMF.

Make sure you save any setting changes before logging out of the modem - recheck the band steering setting again while you are there..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Disable Protected Management frames. The setting is located near the bottom of the Advanced WiFi settings. You should only need to do it for 2.4 GHz WiFi.

If this fixes problem check if there is a firmware update for the AstralPool that adds PMF support.

JD99

Thanks  your responses.

Unfortunately, disabling PMF didn't help.

Don't think it's the Heat Pump firmware; I think it's the crappy App they provide. I get the error in the App before I can even connect to the device.

SteveW_52

Hopefully they will update the app soon.

Any option to connect by cable and access a built in web interface?  Might need a looooong cable or move the device temporarily?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - after you Disabled Bandsteering and PMF on the 2.4 Ghz screen and SAVED, have you tried to 'Forget Network' for the original common SSID (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) in the iPad and then reconnected afresh to the single 2.4Ghz SSID name? Apple devices can become sticky to previously used SSIDs. Also wouldn't hurt to go to Safari and Clear Cache and Browser History before an reconnection attempt.

Is this your system - https://www.astralpool.com.au/connectmypool 

Do you have 'the works' - FM Remote, Colour Touch Screen and iPad as access devices and RJ12 cable connection as shown? Are you seeing a Green Wi-Fi LED on the bottom of the Astral Gateway and is the Serial Number of the Astral  Gateway shown in Diagnostics page in your Touchscreen if you have one after you do this or is this the failure point? 

JD99

Hi

Thanks for your response.

I did save the changes and then forgot and re-added the SSID.

The app I'm using is for the Heat Pump is HeatPumpGo. I'll check with the retailer, but I'm pretty sure that MyConnect is for their full pool solution.

Mkrtich

Hopefully the retailer may also confirm if the Astral Wi-Fi module is not faulty or needs an upgrade - 29 Sep 2020 comment. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phnix.astralpool&hl=en_AU&gl=US 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more