Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

put Arcadyan LH1000 into bridge mode

Answered

Hi 

I have a Telstra Gen2 SmartModem (Arcadyan LH1000)

Please can you tell me how to put it into bridge mode

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: put Arcadyan LH1000 into bridge mode

many thanks for your help

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Instructions for how to put modem in Bridge mode are in section 14 of the document linked in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/telstra-smart-modem-gen-2-arcadyan-version-lh...

thanks for the quick reply

I’d seen that manual earlier in the day (very useful) but my issue is that when I follow those steps I get a similar page except above the tabs (internet access / LTE / WAN services) I have a message telling me that I’m not connected to the internet and below them is no bridge mode option (see attached screenshot)

the smartmodem that I’m trying to make into a bridge isn’t connected to the internet -- it’s only connected to my iMac with an ethernet cable (LAN)

my household internet is provided via a second smartmodem, of the exact same make : the reason I have two is that when I moved house earlier this year Telstra sent me a new one even though I had brought the one from old house which was almost as new as the new one (very wasteful). I'm on the NBN.

up until this week I was happy with the one smartmodem, but a family member has come to stay and the wifi doesn’t reach them well so I’m looking to use the old smartmodem as a bridge to extend the wifi

I realise that a simpler method is to buy a wifi extender but I’m loathed to see a perfectly good smartmodem go to ‘landfil'

Highlighted

The modem can't be used as a WiFi Bridge. It has to be connected to main modem by LAN cable. 

If you have an Ethernet cable between the two modem's you could set it up as a WiFi access point as per section 33

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

many thanks for your help

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

With the LH1000 in Bridge Mode, if the wifi is left turned on, can it be configured as a wifi Client to create a wifi bridge?

Highlighted

No the modem can not be configured as a WiFi client to create a WiFi bridge. The modem has to be connected to main router by Ethernet cable.

Highlighted

That's odd because the hardware is perfectly capable.

Why would Telstra NOT want Arcadyan to implement this feature?

What about the Technicolor DJA0230, has the wifi bridge feature been disabled in that as well?

Highlighted

All the recent Telstra modem's have no settings for using modem as a WiFi bridge.

Highlighted

That's such a pity because the Arcadyan LH1000 hardware is good...1Ghz dual-core ARM processor, 1GB RAM, 2x256MB flash, Gigabit ethernet, AC1200 wifi.

Could WiFi Bridging be passed on as a feature request for a future firmware release?

Highlighted

Guys,

can you please respond to my request that WiFi BRIDGE MODE be submitted as a feature request for a future firmware release, for both the Smart Modem Gen 2 (LH1000) and the Smart Modem Gen 1 (DJA0230) ?

Thanks...

Highlighted

You might have better luck at getting a official response to your request by posting it on this thread,

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/discussion-arcadyan-firmware-update-notes/td-...

If it involves a lot of design effort I doubt that Telstra will provide the feature as WiFi Bridge is not a normal function that is required for a modem to operate correctly. Even using modem as access point with a LAN port connected to main modem is not supported.

Highlighted

I don't think it would require much design effort at all. If the WiFi NIC is simply configured to CLIENT mode, then that would do it. Of course the WAN port would need to be disabled...or better still, attributed to the LAN, resulting in a total of 5 LAN ports.

Concerning cf4's comment "Even using modem as access point with a LAN port connected to main modem is not supported."...I would have thought that putting Access Point into the supported WAN BRIDGE mode, then connecting the WAN port of this Access Point with CAT 5/6 cable to a LAN port on the Gateway (=main modem), this should work! The DHCP server of the Gateway would provide all the IP addresses for all of the devices connected to the Access Point, and potentially up to 4 Access points could be connected.

Highlighted

Re previous discussion with cf4,

I'm running 11.11r and I just tested the discussed configuration of putting an Access Point into the supported WAN BRIDGE mode, then connecting the WAN port of this Access Point with CAT 5/6 cable to a LAN port on my Gateway (=main modem), and this did indeed work!

The DHCP server of the Gateway correctly provided the IP addresses for all the devices connected to the Access Point. Up to 4 Access Points could be connected using this config...great!

I repeat my request for a 'minor' software mod to enable WiFi Bridge functionality.

The WiFi NIC would become the new WAN interface.and the unused WAN ethernet port could be allocated to the LAN, resulting in 5 LAN ethernet ports

It would be very useful and it would give maximum flexibility of use with what is a decent bit of hardware.

Highlighted

Last night the Gateway was switched OFF then back ON again this morning, but the Access Point was left ON.

Now the Access Point (in Bridge Mode) no longer has internet connectivity.

It is still reachable by connecting to the Gateway WiFi but it can't be reached by connecting to its own WiFi.

Also the Access Point WiFi signal strength is now very low changing between 0 and 1 bars.

Power cycling the Access Point does not resolve this issue and only a factory RESET will clear it.

Interestingly when the Access Point was previously online, the ONLINE led was always OFF.

Clearly Bridge Mode is very buggy !!!

Could this fault report please be passed on to Arcadyan so that they can address this issue?

Highlighted

An update on my Gen 2 modem problem...

- after setting it to Bridge Mode, the WiFi signal became very weak, between 0-1 bars, even when standing next to modem.

- the problem remains even after a factory reset.

- turned off the Band Steering but no change.

- Output Power is set to 100%.

- the modem has now been upgraded to 0.12.09r but still the problem remains.

Has Bridge Mode somehow 'damaged' the WiFi hardware transmit power output ?

Surely this couldn't be a coincidence?

Has anyone else reported a similar problem?

All suggestions appreciated!

Highlighted

One thing the new firmware update does is to enable WiFi PMF by default. You could try disabling PMF.

Highlighted

The problem first appeared while running 0.11.11r.

Tried turning off WiFi-PMF in the current 0.12.09r...no change.

Help...my WiFi is unuseable!

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - have you considered not using Bridge Mode for the Access Point configuration - I can't see the benefit of using Bridge Mode for an Access Point. The secondary modem will connect to the host modem without issue in either in a LAN-LAN (same subnet/DHCP OFF) or LAN-WAN (different subnet) configuration with appropriate respective settings allowing you to have extended Wi-Fi and LAN ports operational in the secondary modem.

Highlighted

After the factory rest, the modem returned to normal Gateway Mode and I have left it in this mode. Still the WiFi signal is seriously reduced to the point of being unuseable. 0-1 bars.

Neither factory reset nor firmware upgrade to 0.12.09r have fixed this issue !

Could a software bug in Bridge Mode of 0.11.11r have permanently damaged my WiFi NIC ?

Highlighted

Hi - I can't see how that would happen. You can inspect actual signal strength and speeds in a variety of methods.

The Wi-Fi NIC in your device will transmit to the modem's respective Wi-Fi radios in idle (low power) and active (normal) mode, so when you log into the Home screen or the Home/Wi-Fi Devices screen of the Arcadyan, the connection speed shown will appear lower than expected if the device is not being currently used but connected (idle mode). If you do a speedtest.net test and then look at the speed shown and it should reflect a higher speed result which was using the active mode. 

Signal strength is also shown on the Home/Wi-Fi Devices screen - if it is between -35dBm to -50dBm that is a good strong signal. If it is over -90dBm that is a marginal and weak signal.

You can also inspect the Wi-Fi NIC properties of your PC in a Windows CMD screen - it will show you the Transmission Speed of the modem to PC (Receive Rate) and the transmission speed of the Wi-Fi Adaptor to the modem (Transmit Rate) - they will be different. 

type    netsh wlan show interfaces

If you have an Apple PC, similar information can be shown under the Wi-Fi Icon and more detailed information with a 'hidden' command. Let me know if applicable to you.  

I wasn't sure if you question relates to the main modem or the modem used for the Access Point. I have noticed a peculiarity in a LAN-LAN same subnet configuration where the two modems inadvertently link together in EasyMesh mode. 

Highlighted

@Mkrtich wrote:

The Wi-Fi NIC in your device will transmit to the modem's respective Wi-Fi radios in idle (low power) and active (normal) mode, so when you log into the Home screen or the Home/Wi-Fi Devices screen of the Arcadyan, the connection speed shown will appear lower than expected if the device is not being currently used but connected (idle mode). If you do a speedtest.net test and then look at the speed shown and it should reflect a higher speed result which was using the active mode. 

Signal strength is also shown on the Home/Wi-Fi Devices screen - if it is between -35dBm to -50dBm that is a good strong signal. If it is over -90dBm that is a marginal and weak signal.

You can also inspect the Wi-Fi NIC properties of your PC in a Windows CMD screen - it will show you the Transmission Speed of the modem to PC (Receive Rate) and the transmission speed of the Wi-Fi Adaptor to the modem (Transmit Rate) - they will be different. 

type    netsh wlan show interfaces

If you have an Apple PC, similar information can be shown under the Wi-Fi Icon and more detailed information with a 'hidden' command. Let me know if applicable to you.  

I wasn't sure if you question relates to the main modem or the modem used for the Access Point. I have noticed a peculiarity in a LAN-LAN same subnet configuration where the two modems inadvertently link together in EasyMesh mode. 

My Arcadyan with 'faulty' wifi nic is now, after a factory reset and upgrade to 0.12.09r configured as an Access Point in a LAN-WAN config on a different subnet to the Gateway.

The Gateway is performing fine. On Home>Devices it shows for my Win10 PC, Signal Strength = -63dBm, Link Rate = 52Mbps.

The wifi signal of the Access Point with 'faulty' wifi NIC is so weak, I can't even log onto it.. It only appears sporadically with 0 or 1 bars before disappearing again, and that's even when I am standing next to it with my PC. If I connect with ethernet cable, everything looks normal but of course with no wifi devices connected.

I suspect that Bridge Mode has somehow done some damage!

I'm open to suggestions but I can find no other explanation for it, nor any way to restore the normal wifi levels..

Highlighted

I have seen other reports of a reduction in WiFi output power on the 2.4 GHz band after the modem was updated to 0.11.11r. The update could have caused a permanent hardware fault.

The same thing has occurred on Technicolor which caused the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal to stop transmitting.

The decrease in WiFi output did not occur when my LH1000 was updated to 0.11.11r but I did notice the modem could no longer be used as a WiFi access point. Devices connected to modem could no longer access internet or GUI of modem. Device connected to LAN ports still had internet access.

Highlighted

Thanks for that cf4.

So where do I go from here?

If indeed 0.11.11r has damaged my wifi NIC, is my LH1000 now only good for wired connections or as a door-stop ?

If the wifi NIC is on a daughterboard (ie PCIe or similar), could it be replaced or is it mounted on the mainboard...I haven't seen inside one of these things ?

And can Arcadyan in Taiwan be questioned on this ?

Highlighted

Interesting findings cf4 - wasn't aware. My Arcadyan is the primary modem and at V 0.11.11r, so I haven't experienced these conditions.

@EladB1 - your PC Wi-Fi Adaptor connecting at 52 Mbps implies it is using the 2.4Ghz band. On the Arcadyan Access Point, would you have Band Steering on the 2.4Ghz screen Disabled (and SAVE) so as to stop the modem preferring the 5Ghz band connections? You will then see two SSIDs - one for each band. Does your PC Win 10 support the 5Ghz band 802.11ac or the 5Ghz 802.11n Dual Band mode in addition to the 2.4 Ghz 802.11 b/g/n mode - what is the name and model number of the Adaptor? Can you connect it to the 5Ghz band? 

Without listing them in the Reply, after you connected the two modems - is the MAC Address of the Gateway Modem different to the MAC Address of the Arcadyan Access Point modem or are they the same?  

Highlighted

Mkrtich wrote:  My Arcadyan is the primary modem and at V 0.11.11r, so I haven't experienced these conditions.

It was Bridge Mode with 0.11.11r that did the damage to my modem...try it if you're game!

My PC adapter is only 802.11b/g/n so it's only good for 2.4Ghz.

Band Steering on the Access Point has been de-activated as well as PMF.

I've tried all combinations to no avail.

Re MAC addresses, they're different. xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:94 and  xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:91

Highlighted

Sorry that didn't help. Looks like some sort of code corruption has occurred which impacts the 2.4Ghz radio. I recently convinced a stubborn Technicolor DJA0230 to upgrade to the latest firmware after being stuck on the previous firmware for more than 4 months. I Factory Reset it 5 times in a row, heard it do the 'click go the shears' relay sounds throughout the process which I thought was a good indication that something is happening but disappointedly gave up and left it overnight. The next morning it was at current level - it upgraded shortly  after midnight. 

May be worth a few multiple Factory Resets to see if it free up the bug which is preventing 2.4 Ghz operation. Both radios are soldered to the same PCB - there are two full size PCB's inside, so replacement of modem rather than repair. 

Highlighted

@EladB1 wrote:

Thanks for that cf4.

So where do I go from here?

If indeed 0.11.11r has damaged my wifi NIC, is my LH1000 now only good for wired connections or as a door-stop ?

If the wifi NIC is on a daughterboard (ie PCIe or similar), could it be replaced or is it mounted on the mainboard...I haven't seen inside one of these things ?

And can Arcadyan in Taiwan be questioned on this ?

If the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal is low on other devices and the modem was obtained from Telstra you should be able to get a replacement modem under warranty from Telstra. It is not feasible to replace the WiFi NIC in the modem it is hard wired.

Highlighted

@EladB1 - forgot to mention. For upgrading the firmware of a secondary modem, I turn off the primary modem and disconnect it from the NBN HFC modem and connect the secondary modem direct to the Internet and then do the Factory Reset via the modem's GUI. In addition to a reload of firmware from its Flash ROM, I get the impression it also 'calls home' to Telstra for any posssible supplementary data, integrity check up and remediation for the booted up version. 

Prior to the recent successful update, the troublesome DJA0230 log indicated an issue with one of the CPU's which is what I suspected prevented it from updating in the past. I got the impression that the update may have addressed that issue. I will check out the log tomorrow.

Highlighted

"Re MAC addresses, they're different. xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:94 and  xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:91"

The ending 6th octets are very close to each other which is unusual for MAC addresses from different vendors - you have a Technicolor DJA030 as Gateway and the Arcadyan LH:1000 as the Access Point - yes? Are the first five octets in the MAC address different in each modem as well? Compare the modem label with what is showing in the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz screen of each modem.

Apart from a fault, the Wi-Fi LED on the back of the modem is Green and if the Access Point radios have been disabled by the firmware upgrade, you may be getting weak marginal signal from the Gateway modem at the remote location.

Highlighted

Both the Gateway and the Access Point are Arcadyan LH1000 and both are now running 0.12.09r. All 5 bytes of MAC addresses are the same, only last byte is different.

Yes, the Wi-Fi LED button on the back of the modem is green. When pressed it turns off then back on when pressed again...but WiFi signal still remains extremely weak.

>>>you may be getting weak marginal signal from the Gateway modem at the remote location. No, since for testing I'm using different SSIDs.

Re cf4's suggestion, I have already tried multiple factory resets...to no avail.

Both modems were given to me by a friend so sadly I presume Telstra won't replace my faulty one, even if the problem was caused by Arcadyan's buggy 0.11.11r firmware ???

BTW how do these boxes open...are there screws under the 4 rubber feet or elsewhere maybe, or do they just clip together?

Highlighted

Given the unforeseen calamity V 0.12.09r has caused to some early deployments, perhaps we may see a remedial patch in the near future, so it may pay to wait a while.

If you decide to dismantle, it requires strong thumbs, a spudger or butter knife and some patience to open up the Arcadyan. 

Remove the power adapter, peel back the top part of the bottom sticker label with the QR Code to the section where the first horizontal line is to remove two retention screws from the internal chassis. Peel back the ports label sticker from the corner end opposite LAN port 4 to expose another retention screw which is opposite LAN port 3. Next apply strong thumb pressure to expose separation of the plastic casing from the rubberised base to allow a spudger to work around the base for its removal. The two internal PCBs which are interconnected can then be removed with some difficult maneuvering in regards to the Ethernet port assembly which may need some thumb pressure to assist release. 

I had intended to load a 2.5 MB file size picture but the portal is not co-operating with me at the moment. 

In case it preserves your modem, this is a picture of the PCB with the Wi-Fi radios on it - the one opposite the blue and black antennae is the BCM4366 (802.11 a/dual n/ac 5Ghz) and the one to the left is the BCM 4363 (802.11 b/g/n 2.4 Ghz). I don't know if one of the parts that fell off the PCB (I put sticky tape on it)  was the cause of no power to the unit; I picked it up at a recycle centre for curiosity. 

Highlighted

@Mkrtich 

To resize a large image to a suitable size for posting open it in paint and select resize. There is probably a similar app in mac that you could use to resize the image.

Highlighted

Thanks for coming to my rescue and the tip about Paint feature cf4. I don't remember having issues before but discovered the photo had a 3264x2448 structure which may have been the cause of rejection , so changed it to 1920x1080.

Wi-Fi Radios, 4G LTE SIM, FXO/FXS ports and DSP Group DECT.

Might as well show the main board as well - this is the other PCB with the Broadcom BCM 63136 SoC, DSL, USB 3, WAN, Ethernet Ports and 4GLTE Quectel chip. 

Highlighted

>>>Given the unforeseen calamity V 0.12.09r has caused to some early deployments, perhaps we may see a remedial patch in the near future, so it may pay to wait a while.

That would be great, but my problem with the loss of WiFi signal strength started when I configured 0.11.11r into Bridge Mode. After factory resets and firmware upgrade to 0.12.09r, the problem still remains.

Thanks very much for those photos guys. It's very interesting to see the innards of these little white towers!

Highlighted

So if my WiFi NIC has NOT been permanently damaged by a software bug in Bridge Mode of 0.11.11r, and with the same bug persisting in 0.12.09r, then my only hope is that a remedial patch might possibly correct this bug.

Although one would think that multiple factory resets would correct the issue !?!?

Here's hoping...

Highlighted

I think the problem is more likely to be hardware than software probably triggered by the 0.11.11r firmware update. When the technicolor modems lost there 2.4 GHz WiFi after a firmware update they had to be replace. Fortunately it only effected a few modems as the firmware update had only be pushed to a few modems. I don't think a future firmware update will fix your issue. From what I have seen the reduction of 2.4 GHz WiFi signal power level only effected a very small number of modems, most modems that received update were unaffected.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more