Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

"Telstra Gateway Max" TG799vac; setting up Time Capsule as wireless extender

My home wifi network has been using an apple time capsule as a wifi extender. Now that I have joined NBN my modem has been replaced with a "Telstra Gateway Max" (TG799vac).

->The time capsule has no WPS button.

How to I set up Time capsule as a wireless extender?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: "Telstra Gateway Max" TG799vac; setting up Time Capsule as wireless extender

If you have a OS X device, connect that device to the Time Capsule and open utilities (In the Toolbar click Go -> Utilities or from finder click Shift+CMD+U), open the Airport Utility, the Airport Utility will allow you to change the settings of the Time Capsule and set it to repeat the connection of the Max.

If you have a Windows device - You can download the utlity from Apple but as I haven't used the Windows version I couldn't tell you how well it works: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1547?locale=en_US

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Re: "Telstra Gateway Max" TG799vac; setting up Time Capsule as wireless extender

I'm using Airport Utility on my iMac. I'm connected wirelessly to my home network using he telstra Gateway. In the utility, the gateway wifi network isn't an option to be extended. Airport utility screenshots.jpg

Highlighted

In that Connect to drop down list does it have the Telstra network in that list, because that should allow you to add it to that network which would then allow it become an extender
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

No other options in the drop down list.

Perhaps the telstra branded TG799vac is limited to only using telstra branded extenders?

Highlighted

I had an Airport Express with the Max and had no issues... that was before we moved though and it was setup ages and ages ago, so I will find it in the boxes of stuff and see if I can get it to work on the new one...
Helpful Links

Highlighted

Hey Dr Qwerty90. Thanks for the idea. I've pulled an old Airport Extreme out of the cupboard and it extends fine. Not sure whats going on with the Time capsule...

I'll use the Airport Extreme in the meantime. I hope to get the Time capsule going though - its my backup as well.

Airport Expresss - wireless network extender.jpg

Highlighted

That is very very strange... it could be an issue with the current firmware maybe not liking the time capsule specifically
Helpful Links

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more