Matho232
Level 1: Cadet

Reactivating a Telstra smart modem

Hi all,

I have a smart nbn modem that is not in use and want to get a new plan to connect to it. Can anyone help me with activating the sim that is already with it please? Basically if possible I just want to activate the sim to a new internet plan if that makes sense?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Reactivating a Telstra smart modem

Do you have another Smart Modem 2 and existing internet service connected?

And is this 'not in use' modem a Telstra Smart Modem 2 (with 4G Backup)? Has it been used previously?

The 4G component is a backup and doesn't need activating as such (SIM or otherwise) because these modems are not like mobile broadband devices. They are generally shipped out, assigned to a new/existing service but will work OK on 4G initially. There is the ability to set the modem to run in mobile mode only but I have never tried it nor do I know how to organise that with Telstra. I would hazard a guess that the Customer Support muppets that man the messaging services probably won't know about it either!

Have you tried just turning the modem on, with no internet connected, and leaving it it for a while - it should eventually come up to a solid blue light on the front, indicating 4G mode. If it is new, it may do a series of firmware update (indicator goes white) so don't rush in to using it. If you can, connect a laptop or PC to it with a cable (not Wi-Fi) to start with and log in to the GUI at  192.168.0.1  (default) using admin/Telstra credentials (default)..  then you will see the firmware version, modem model and other information..

If you run on 4G for a while Telstra will probably throttle the speed eventually.

If you are wanting to get another internet service into the premises that can be a bit tricky and depends a lot on what your existing service is and whether there is the ability for two services into the premises. See previous comments above about Mobile Mode Only option.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Matho232
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It was left here by the previous tenants and the owner said I could use it but I would just have to start up an internet plan so I just wanted to know how to do that?

SteveW_52

OK, so it isn't 'reactivating' at all..  you just need to order a new internet service from whichever provider you prefer. That modem might be setup for the previous owner. A factory reset will fix that. The 4G service (SIM) in the modem is a backup facility for a fixed NBN Internet service 9which is what you need to arrange).

If you have an existing service, then you can add a new home internet service. Otherwise just decide who you want to use and order a new internet service. In most cases you can do that online, with your preferred provider - look through the plans and chose the one that is right for you. All the main providers use NBN for internet services - they arrange the NBN side of things.

Your location will probably already be known, as far as what services are available and selecting and signing up to a plan will firstly check the NBN service available..  the rest is up to you - $$$, speed, add-ons and the like. If the online option isn't for you, just go into a store..

You will probably have to provide ID - if you are an Australian citizen that shouldn't be too hard online, but if not it might be easier to go into a store, with all your ID information including recent utility bills in your name, for the current address where you want the service.

If you go with Telstra, be aware that you will probably have to sign up to Direct Debit, amongst other things.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more