Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Red Light

Hi,

I just connected my new Telstra Smart Modem, all good but the online light is always red, which means its running on backup. I think it should be green like all the other lights. Tried to get some support on Telstra help chat, pretty useless. Can anyone help?

We live about 22km from the neatest town

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Red Light

If you have an ADSL connection log into the modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra) and go to Broadband. Enter your bigpond username and password and save settings.

Highlighted

Thank you, I did that and it says your broadband service is working in backup mode.

I went to the advanced option and under internet access it says PPP authentication failed wwith a red dot next to it. Could that be the reason?

Thank you

Highlighted

Yes PPP authentication failed is the reason online light is red. If its an ADSL connection it could be due to wrong username and password. If it is an NBN it could be due to the connection not being completed or set up correctly. If it is an NBN Fixed Radio or FTTP connection try one of the other UNI-D ports.

Highlighted

Thanks for your quick reply

It is an ADSL connection, I have the right username but not sure what the password was to start with. I've put a new password in and it lets me save it. But still PPP authentication failure, maybe I need to get a new password from bigpond?

Highlighted

You will need to get Telstra support to reset your Internet password.

Highlighted

Thanks for your help, I will try and do that

Cheers

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more