schnauzerlove
Level 2: Rookie

replaced NBN modem made land line phone disconnect

Answered

Hi, 

We received a new NBN modem. Now internet is working but land line phone does not work. 

I tried to contact to get support by Telstra over 10 days, but I can not get a good stable reply as they said they are busy. 

I did not have any problem with previous NBN modem. Do we need to replace phone as well?

Also I did not have any chance to enter Wifi Name and Password. I reset out router but again there is not place to enter the detail. But internet is working OK. Do we suppose to enter the modem wifi detail on the pink magnet card which came with the new modem?

regards

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: replaced NBN modem made land line phone disconnect

If phone worked with previous modem it should work with this modem. The DAC (Digital to Analogue Convertor) in the modem might be faulty. Do you have another phone you could try? If the other phone doesn't work then definitely a faulty modem.

View solution in original post

schnauzerlove
Accepted Solution

Hi Mkrtich

Thank you very much again for your replies. 

After I work several times re-setting from the first, I now can use my phone, but only connect to modem green plug. I still have a problem with a wall socket, which worked with previous NBN modem. Now I finally can communicate with Telstra via app. I will contact them

Thank you very muchagain.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
cf4

The phone should work with new modem. Is the phone plugged into the green phone port on the modem?

Is the phone light on the modem green?

The WiFi details are for connecting WiFi devices to the modem. If your device is connected by LAN cable you will not need the WiFi details for internet to work.

schnauzerlove

Hi cf4,

Thank you very much for your reply. 

Initially phone was plugged to wall but now I plugged to direct the modem. If I check the mymodem.modem site (finally found access detail) the line looks work as there is a income call today. but if I pick up the phone no ring tone.  Yes the phone light on the modem is green. 

I found other crowd support which said some panasonic phone does not work with new gen2 modem. 

At mymodem.modem, I found "telephony" and looks like I can pairing if I get detail of the phone, but it seems I can not find any thing detail, such as  base name, access code, pairing window time. Does this mean I need a new phone as changed a new modem?

Sorry for asking but in last 10 days, and it seems I wont get answer by Telstra forever. I may pop in Telstra shop tomorrow.  

Thanks again

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Which port on the Telstra modem have you plugged your handset into? Is it a green port?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - did you receive and answer an incoming call on your cordless phone or do you see a record of an incoming unanswered call in the Telephony screen of the modem only. Try doing a power OFF on the modem, wait two minutes and then turn back ON. That should refresh your telephone number software and then test again for dial tone. 

Telstra Modem Phone Port -----Panasonic Base Station .............Cordless Phone will work. You don't need to use the DECT Base Station inside the Telstra Modem - that is for a more modern cordless DECT Phone technology that won't work with your existing Panasonic phone. 

On my Panasonic Phone, I press the Green Handset key to get dial tone and answer calls. I don't use the Auto Answer function when the phone is lifted up from the charger or base station. 

schnauzerlove

Hi SteveW_52,

Thank you very much for your reply

I initially plugged a wall port which was connected initially when we set up NBN several years ago, which has been working OK until this incident. But I also tried the greet port of Modem.

thanks

schnauzerlove

Hi MkRtich,

Thank you very much for your reply.  

The incoming call is found at the record of the incoming unanswered call in the Telephone screen. 

I tried two mins off /on but still does not work. - After I turn off and wait 2 mins, then turn on and wait the modem comes back. Then I tried paring of the Mymodem site and also pressed the Paring of Modem. 

The base name and paring window time come up on the screen, but phone still not work.

Our Panasonic 5.8GHz digital phone is aprox 7-8 years old. Do you think it should still work?

regards

cf4

The phone can't be paired to to the modem as it uses a different frequency but you should be able to connect the phones base to the green phone port on the modem. Pair the Handset with the base of the phone not the modem.

If you have the phone base plugged into the modems green port when you try to make a call does the phone light on modem pulse green and do you get dial tone?

When there is an incoming call does phone ring and phone light on modem pulse green?

SteveW_52

The Green phone port is where the base unit of you Panasonic phone system should be connected.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
schnauzerlove

Hi cf4, 

thank you for your reply again.

When there is an incoming call, the phone light on the modem does pulse, however there is no dial tone for the phone itself.

When making a call, the light on the modem stays green and does not pulse on and off, unlike when receiving a call, and there is no dial tone. 

schnauzerlove

Hello SteveW_52,

thank you for your response. Yes, the base unit is connected to the green phone port. 

cf4
Accepted Solution

If phone worked with previous modem it should work with this modem. The DAC (Digital to Analogue Convertor) in the modem might be faulty. Do you have another phone you could try? If the other phone doesn't work then definitely a faulty modem.

Mkrtich

Hi - so when an external incoming telephone call is received by the modem, does the cordless phone actually ring and you can answer the call successfully? You indicated there was an entry in the 'Telephone' screen - is that the Telephony screen of the modem or the Unanswered Calls of the handset?  In order to verify linkage of the handset to the Panasonic base station - if your base station has an Intercom function key, can you page the handset from the base station by pressing the Intercom button.

It also may be worth to do a fresh re-registration of the handset to the Panasonic base station. Can you remove the batteries and wait 60 seconds. Re-insert the batteries. On my Panasonic handset model which is different to yours - in the Phone Menus, Settings, Register, Register H.set, Display shows Press Speaker Icon on Base for 5 sec, then on the handset Press OK when invitation received on phone. You may have a Pairing button somewhere on the base station if you do not have an Intercom function key. 

When I make an outgoing call, I select the 'Green Lifted Handset' key on the handset to get dial tone, the Phone LED on the modem changes from solid ON to green flashing. 

schnauzerlove

hi cf4,

After I work several times re-setting from the first, I now can use my phone, but only connect to modem green plug. I still have a problem with a wall socket, which worked with previous NBN modem. Now I finally can communicate with Telstra via app. I will contact them

Thank you veyr much again

schnauzerlove
Accepted Solution

Hi Mkrtich

Thank you very muchagain.

SteveW_52

Your phone line is now provided through the NBN internet connection and Telstra Modem, the Wall socket will no longer work for a phone service..  so you must connect the phone to the modem Green 'Phone' port.

Stevo 52
Mkrtich

Thank you for your feedback. Just to clarify matters, were you previously connected to Telstra ADSL via a small white splitter box which connected your modem and telephone cable to the wall socket - how is your current NBN Service currently connected ? Does it use a telephone cable from the DSL port on the Telstra modem to a wall socket (FTTN) or a computer cable from the modem to either a White or Black NBN modem (FTTP/ FTTC or NBN HFC Coax cable respectively) .

What is the LED colour on the front of the Telstra Smart modem - Green (normal ) or Blue ( in Standby 4G mode due to NBN network connection failure).  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more