indy8981
Level 1: Cadet

Replacing Telsta Smart Modem with 3rd Party Router

Answered

I was wondering if i can replace my Telstra Smart Modem and use my AX4/4STREAM AX3000
WI FI ROUTER to connect directly with my NBN Box? I have a Dlink COVR mesh system running off my router which is connected to my modem and it’s seems like I’m not getting the full advantage of my investment in hardware. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
BrayParkUser
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Replacing Telsta Smart Modem with 3rd Party Router

The short answer is yes you can.  Connect your router up to the NBN NTD and you are up and running.

Mind you mesh isn't the best for speeds, every hop basically halves your bandwidth - something to keep in mind when doing speedtests.

View solution in original post

cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Configure the router for IPOR (dynamic IP or auto IP.  no login required).

I don't know the specs for your mesh but if the mesh used a dedicated backhand channel the WiFi speed will not be halved. Even with meshes that don't have a dedicated backhand channel the speed will still be greater in areas that a not near the router due to the stronger signal.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

What NBN service do you have?

Do you have a home phone as part of your service?

Also , what make and model is the Telstra Smart Modem/Router (label on the bottom)?

What lights can you see on the Telstra box and on any NBN box you might have?

Your router doesn't have DSL connectivity, so I am guessing you have an NBN box with an ethernet port that connects to the WAN port on the Smart Modem? You would be able to use your modem the same way.

What sort of issue are you having? Slow speed or something similar? What tests have you done - OOkla SpeedTest  ( https://beta.speedtest.net/ ) from a device connected to modem port by cable, from  a Wi-Fi device?

If it is an NBN service issue, changing the Modem/Router might not make any difference - so you need to do some trouble shooting.

If your Smart Modem has a 4 G backup and phone line then using your own modem/router in place of the Telstra one will take those options away from you.

However, you can use the Smart Modem in conjunction with your own equipment if you want to. It just might take some configuration changes to get it working.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
BrayParkUser
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

The short answer is yes you can.  Connect your router up to the NBN NTD and you are up and running.

Mind you mesh isn't the best for speeds, every hop basically halves your bandwidth - something to keep in mind when doing speedtests.

indy8981

thanks for this so just to clarify what is NTD?  So, just plug in the router to the NBN box?  Didn’t realize the mesh would make that big of a difference? I have it because the NBN is upstairs and we have a long house with a lot of concrete and glass with no clear or direct line of site to most areas downstairs where we are using it. Only spot Telstra could set it up apparently.  So no configuring the router?

cf4
Accepted Solution

Configure the router for IPOR (dynamic IP or auto IP.  no login required).

I don't know the specs for your mesh but if the mesh used a dedicated backhand channel the WiFi speed will not be halved. Even with meshes that don't have a dedicated backhand channel the speed will still be greater in areas that a not near the router due to the stronger signal.

indy8981

I just plugged it in to the NBN box and walla! I am getting 50mbs which is about 10 better than before and the outdoor cameras etc are loading up much better.  Ye, I reckon the mesh is helping the signal and getting the best our of my system. Thanks!

indy8981

Thanks, hooked it up and it’s working great, no configuration needed, even much faster now. Cheers.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more