MrCreed
Level 1: Cadet

Replacing the Sagemcom F@st 5355

As some will know the Sagemcom F@st 5355 has an issue where 90% of the time you won't be able to login to the router interface, resulting in it displaying a 'Wrong Login Information' warning even though the password is correct.

Has anyone successfully replaced the Sagemcom with a VDSL2+ without needing to put the Telstra box into bridge mode?

Regards,

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Replacing the Sagemcom F@st 5355

Yes I have used several different Non telstra VDSL modems. If you need a phone service connect the WAN port of the F@st5355 to a LAN port of the new modem. If there is any problem with incoming calls change the SIP ALG setting in the third party modem. Set the  connection up as an IPOE connection. (VDSL,  ISP does not require a log in).

See the section on using third party modems in the document linked in this post.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Sagemcon-F-st-5355-Manual/m-p/643374

MrCreed

The manual is for using a third party modem with the Sagemcom as a bridge. I was chasing just a RJ11 to the VDSL moderm

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It's using the F@st5355 as the VOIP adapter.

You can't get away from using a Telstra modem if you want to use the phone service as Telstra do not provide the SIP settings to customers. The SIP settings are baked into the firmware of the Telstra modem, and if you put it into bridge mode, the phone cuts out as well.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MrCreed

Yes I'm aware, I'm wanting to install a Netgear XR500, straight from the wall.

cf4

The XR500 is a router so it can't be plugged directly into the wall phone socket. You will need a VDSL modem set to bridge mode. There are second hand VDSL modems available for as little as $2.00 in some cash convertor stores.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more