BlueTones
Level 2: Rookie

Route addresses on the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 network to another local network

Folks, I installed a Telstra Smart Modem™ Gen 2 and its subnet range is 192.168.0.x however I connected my existing network to the Smart Modem so now I have a wifi router at either end of the house. My existing network uses the 192.168.1.x subnet, all works well except I can not access my NAS (192.168.1.215) or other devices such as an EthernetOverPower device or any 192.168.1.x from the 192.168.0.x Smart Modem network. My existing router is connected by Ethernet to the SmartModem with a Fixed IP Address of 192.168.0.100 I belive on other modems it would be simply a matter of telling the Smart Modem that the IP Address range 192.168.1.x can be found at 192.168.0.100 with a static route. This would send any traffic addressed to 192.168.1.x to its destination. I believe there are ways to hack the Telstra modem to allow this, however surely there is a way to set it up with minimal interference? Would Telstra support be able to configure this? Its a simple and one off configuration after all, and surely others have this requirement. Top make matters worse I have a nice Local DNS running on my NAS to give simple names to all the common devices on the network which the 192.168.0.x cant make use of. Thanks in advance BlueTones

BlueTones a TiddlyWiki.com enthusiast

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
cf4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Route addresses on the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 network to another local network

There is no simple solution to this problem. It is the firewall and NAT on the other router causing the problem.

The easiest way I can think of to do this is to set your other router up as an access point instead of a router with one of its LAN ports connected to a LAN port of Telstra modem. If your other router doesn't have a access point mode.

1. Either change the the IP LAN address range of Telstra modem or your other router so that they both use the same DHCP address rang (either 192.168.0.xx or 192.168.1.xx) and they don't have the same LAN IP address. For example if using 192.168.0.3 - 192.168.0.254 as address range set the LAN IP address of router to 192.168.0.2 and leave the Telstra Smart modem's address unchanged.
  2. Disable DHCP on router.
  3. Connect LAN port of router to WAN port of Telstra Smart modem.
BlueTones

Re: Route addresses on the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 network to another local network

CF4 et al..

Thanks for trying to help. I am confident if I could configure a static route all would be good.

• My first router used to connect to the internet via ADSL, it provides DHCP, holds static addresses for most of my devices. This network is on 192.168.1.x including Wifi, a DNS server and Network attached storage and other wifi routers upstairs.
  • When I installed the Telstra Router for NBN access, I removed the ADSL connection and connected the WAN port of the old router to the NBN router which is on Network 192.168.0.x
  • Everything works well on the original network and internet access is fine through the Telstra Modem.
  • The ONLY problem is if I connect to the Telstra Modem Wifi or direct by cable I can only access the internet and not my other network devices, DNS etc... This prohibits assess to things I share on any computer or server service on any computer.

I hope you can see why I want the requested solution so I do not have to rework every IP address and router, and I would not be happy moving it all to the Telstra Modem, since it does not seem to have all the features my existing router has.

In the mean time I may change the Telstra modem's Wireless SSID to "InternetDirect" because that is all it can do the moment. Sadly it is a smartmodem that has also being "dumbed down" so I suppose its just a regular modem now.

Regards

BlueTones

cf4

I can understand what you want to do but it is just not technically possible to do with the Telstra Smart modem or any other modem router. Even if you could get the Telstra modem to route any traffic with a destination of 192.168.1.xx to the WAN of the original modem the firewall on the original modem would block the traffic.

If you want to configure a network using the Address range 192.168.1.xx change the address range and IP address of the Telstra modem to 192.168.1.xx and set the original modem up as an access point.

See section 27 of the documents linked in these posts for how to change the IP address range of the Telstra modem.

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

BlueTones

As I understand it the Telstra Modem already routes traffic outside it own network to the internet. If I had traffic addressed to my other internal network I should be able to set a static route on the Telstra Modem that sends all IP Traffic addressed to 192.168.1.x to the local address of 192.168.0.100 which is the other router.

Yes I concede I need to have my other router allow such inbound traffic on 192.168.1.x through its WAN port into the network, I thought this could be configured?

Ignoring the method I proposed is there any way to satisfy my requirement to route traffic on the Telstra modems network of 192.168.0.x addressed to 192.168.1.x to my other network?.

BlueTones

cf4

The only other way to connect to device on the second router from devices connected to the Telstra modem is to set up port forwarding on the second router.

For example for the NAS connected to second router forward the ports below on the second router to 192.168.1.215

Name of Service               Default Port Number
NAS Web (HTTPS)          443
Netbios/SAMBA               137, 138, 139, 445
NFS                                 2049, 111, dynamic ports

To access the NAS web interface from a device connected to Telstra modem would use the address 192.168.0.100:443.

As you can see it is a lot more complicated to set up and is a lot harder to access devices on second router from deices connected to the Telstra modem.
QVPN (OpenVPN)          1194

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - @BlueTones  in the absence of a formal Static Route in both directions between your modems, there is an advantage in having a simple one network configuration.  Have you considered the Telstra Smart Booster Gen 2 offer - for $12 a month over 24 months, you can construct a one network solution which can be configured either with an Ethernet wired backhaul or wireless backhaul. In the latter setup up, I assume the Ethernet port on the Booster can be used as a local connection for your NAS or a small multi port switch if required - @cf4 Wi-Fi Mesh Networks usually cater for local Ethernet, but one can never be sure with Telstra - is this possible with Telstra Booster Gen 2 or is it reserved for backhaul only?

If one Booster doesn't cover your requirements, Telstra will provide an additional Booster/s for free up to a maximum of 4 subject to their conditional tests; so the effective cost reduces when additional Boosters are supplied - if coverage is an issue, a second Booster may replace your upstairs Wi-Fi modem. Currently with 25,000 Telstra Plus bonus points.

cf4

@Mkrtich 

The Ethernet port can be used for either backhaul or to connected to a wired device that does not have WIFi or a network switch to provide an internet connection to several wired devices.

BlueTones

Thanks folks,

I am not sure what is referred to with "backhall" etc..., and I would not want to purchase anything new since I have the resources I need from EoP to distributed wifi routers. I could keep the Telstra wifi as only "internet Direct" and add another Wifi AP/router (on my first network) at that end of the house with an Ethernet cable.

I will also look into the possibility of making use of the NAS having two Network Interface Cards NICs as it could then route between networks, provide DNS and DHCP to both networks and more.

I am surprised this is not a "common requirement" to accommodate one or more separate subnets when adding a Telstra Modem. Unfortunately in my browser the spelling correction for "telstra" is "castrate" (no I am not joking).

I will review the possibility of other architectures.

Thanks BlueTones

Mkrtich

Understood - everyone has differing requirements. Backhaul is a term used for the return link from the remote Wi-Fi Booster back to the Telstra Modem which is the Master Controller for the EasyMesh Wi-Fi network of remote Boosters.

The WiFi Booster has two methods of linking back to the Telstra Modem - LAN cable or WiFi.

1. WiFi devices connect to the remote Booster on its front haul Wi-Fi Bands - 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz

2. The Booster connects back to modem either via Ethernet cable if deployed or 5Ghz WiFi if cable not deployed - hence the term back haul, leaving the local LAN port available for a PC or a LAN switch to connect to the front collection side of the Booster. In LAN Switching terminology, it would be described as the Uplink port. As the Booster caters for Wi-Fi interconnection, the terms backhaul and fronthaul are used to differentiate between the two sides of the connection.  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more