orion_jb2001
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Router and managed switch

Hi all,

I have a Telstra smart gen 2 modem, connected to to a DLink 1210-20 managed switch.  I also have a Netgear D8500 router.  All my network connections are via the switch, I also have the D8500 connected to the switch as I am purely using the D8500 for WIFI, not using the smart gen WIFI. 

My LAN network and connection was first created with only the D8500 and assumed the network name of Netgear 21 -5g.  However, now that everything is working off the Smart Gen2 modem, my internet access still keeps the Netgear 21 -5g name.  Is this a windows thing because my LAN is hardwired, the windows status for the connection is ethernet and not using WIFI so I can't understand why the connection is still hanging on to the Netgear name.

Oh for the ones that might ask why am I using the smart gen2 modem and not the Netgear.  I actually get better speed and connection with the Telstra modem and yes, we still have a land line and it is so much simpler with FTTN and the land line connection, than to jump through all the hoops trying to get the D8500 to be able to run the land line.

Thanks in advance 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Router and managed switch

Is the computer connected via the switch or connected directly to the Smart modem? If the computer is connected to the switch one reason for still using the same network name might be due to the PC still seeing the same MAC address )MAC address of the Switch) and the PC will assume it is still connected to  D8500 network.

orion_jb2001
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: Router and managed switch

Well it would appear it is a windows thing.  It obviously was connected to the smart modem, but windows was hanging onto the Netgear name for the connection.  I have now corrected that fairly easily so all fixed.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more