Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Sagemcom F@ST 5355, D-Link DHP-P309AV Powerline Adaptor, and Apple Time Capsule A1355

Answered
Hey Guys,

I have an NBN Arris CM820 (presumably ADSL, I don’t know though...), which is connected to my Sagecomm F@st 5355. Using Port 1 of the Sagecomm F@ast 5355, I am running a CAT6 (I assume it’s 6) Ethernet cable to my D-Link DHP-P309 AV powerline adaptor.
This runs from my living room, to my bedroom, in which I have my Time Capsule set up.
Another CAT6 Ethernet cable connects my second D-Link Powerline adaptor to the WAN Port on my Time Capsule.

Although I have configured my Time Capsule to ‘add to existing network’ I am unsure if it is extending the network using Ethernet (preferred) or by Wi-Fi waves.
When I log on to Telstra Gateway it identifies then Time Capsule as running on my 5G home network.
When I check on Airport Utility it simply says ‘connection unknown’. Both of the Powerline Adaptors have Green LED’s suggesting that they’re connected and transferring data?

I’m also having issues with the Time Capsule extending the network. If it is projecting, and extending the network as it suggests, my brother should be able to detect the network extension from my room, to his room (which cannot detect the Sagecomm F@st 5355 network). We are attempting to set up his Playstation and Xbox to connect to the wireless network. We’ve yet to have much luck.

I suspect the confusion over whether the Time Capsule is connected via Ethernet, or Wi-Fi is what is causing the problems, in regards to his PlayStation and Xbox being unable to detect the wireless network.

If necessary, I can get a further Powerline adaptor to his room to connect both the PlayStation and the Xbox, but it would be handy if he could use Wi-Fi on his phone in his room.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Sagemcom F@ST 5355, D-Link DHP-P309AV Powerline Adaptor, and Apple Time Capsule A1355

You don't need to change any settings in F@st5355.
If Router Mode is set to "Off (Bridge Mode) then you will only have one network. Change the SSID and WiFi password of Time capsule so that it is the same as the F@st5355.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Sagemcom F@ST 5355, D-Link DHP-P309AV Powerline Adaptor, and Apple Time Capsule A1355

Have on the time capsule have you set the Wireless settings to “Create Wireless Network” and  Network Setting to “Of Bridge mode”?

Have you checked power line adapter is working by plugging a laptop or pc with Ethernet port into remote adapter?

Highlighted

Hi @cf4,

Thank you for replying.
I have not done this yet, because I believe it will create two separate wireless networks, and I do not wish to create two separate networks with the same name.

I wish to use the Time Capsule to extend the range of the Telstra S@gecomm 5355 network instead.

Two separate networks seems inefficient and unnecessary.

I have checked the Ethernet ports, but connecting the Powerline adaptor to my Time Capsule (WAN), and then used the LAN port on the Time Capsule to connect directly to my MacBook Pro.

System preferences reads that my MacBook Pro is connected directly to the Network, and is accessing internet through the Ethernet connection, then also using Wi-Fi as a secondary source to connect to the internet.
Highlighted

Because the Network Setting is set to Of Bridge Mode the DHCP server is turned off in the Time capsule, The F@st5355 allocates all the IP addresses on the network.
Highlighted

Ok.
I will try setting it to ‘Create Wireless Network’, and ‘Bridge Mode Off’.

Do I need to change the settings for the F@st5355?

Once I create this setting, will there be two separate networks generated?
Or should it still remain as just one singular network?

Sorry to repeat the same question!!
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

You don't need to change any settings in F@st5355.
If Router Mode is set to "Off (Bridge Mode) then you will only have one network. Change the SSID and WiFi password of Time capsule so that it is the same as the F@st5355.

View solution in original post

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more